Windows 10: Wallpaper sync on 2 laptops with local user accounts

Discus and support Wallpaper sync on 2 laptops with local user accounts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I have an HP laptop which has always had a local User account. I bought a new Dell laptop again using a local user account and have been using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JenDingbat, May 5, 2020.

1. Wallpaper sync on 2 laptops with local user accounts

Hi

I have an HP laptop which has always had a local User account.

I bought a new Dell laptop again using a local user account and have been using that for the last couple of months.

I just fired up the HP to have a look at something and then after leaving it in sleep mode for an hour, I've just come back to it and found the Wallpaper has changed to the one I have setup on the Dell.

Maybe a stupid question but if they are both on local accounts how does that happen? and how do I stop it because the last thing I want is for the new Dell to take on any of the settings on the HP.

:)

JenDingbat, May 5, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Kari, May 5, 2020
  3. IanBJ Win User
    How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud?

Hi Folks - my question is absolutely NOT about file syncing - unless some of the tools you're suggesting also have local User Account ID syncing capability? Or am I missing some deep technical aspect here?

I need to make my Local Windows User Account ID identical (i.e. the same Account) across Windows laptops/etc., if that's possible. I.e. so that regardless of which laptop I log in on I'm the same User identity. (And yes I may also file sync my profile across too.) I need other things (NAS etc.) to see one User account Identity for me, not different ones from each laptop (because they're local user accounts).

I know I could do it by using an MS AD network domain User account, or by using a Microsoft User account.
    But can it be done efficiently locally without setting up an MS AD domain server etc.?

IanBJ, May 5, 2020
  4. chideock Win User

Wallpaper sync on 2 laptops with local user accounts

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

Thank you. I will give it a try later today and post my results.

Got to it sooner than I thought.
    Your method worked perfectly.

Thank you

chideock, May 5, 2020
Thema:

Wallpaper sync on 2 laptops with local user accounts

1. Wallpaper sync on 2 laptops with local user accounts - Similar Threads - Wallpaper sync laptops

2. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local user account disappeared: There is no option to sign into a local account I had created on windows 10 on my laptop. It does not give me the option to log in nor switch to the account though it can still be viewed in my settings. I was on it but then when I locked the account and tried to get back on...
  3. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local user account disappeared: There is no option to sign into a local account I had created on windows 10 on my laptop. It does not give me the option to log in nor switch to the account though it can still be viewed in my settings. I was on it but then when I locked the account and tried to get back on...
  4. removing a local user account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    removing a local user account: I have opened a local user account in Windows 10. I want to delete. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-a-local-user-account/87ea0603-d0fd-4375-a12b-a2b6f0a80b27
  5. Local User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local User Account: Hi, I have a problem that I cant delete my other local user account, already perform Setting > Account > Family and other user > remove account But still the user appear, appreciate for the help, thanks...
  6. local user account

local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  7. Local Account Syncing to wrong Microsoft Account

Local Account Syncing to wrong Microsoft Account: Hi, I have a situation where I log on to my Laptop using the local account for the laptop but once logged in the account is linked to my child's Microsoft account. If I go to settings the info has the local username and under it my childs Microsoft account. Surely there is...
  8. User Created Windows Ten Wallpapers [2]

User Created Windows Ten Wallpapers [2]: [img] Note Continued from - User Created Windows Ten Wallpapers - Windows 10 Forums [img] 51567
  9. Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them: On my portable I have a local acct (administrator) and a MS acct (not administrator) users. I am the only user of this computer, a personal computer. I use the local acct 98% of the time. Is there a method to have the 2 accts synced(mirrored) so that MS acct has everything...
  10. Local User Account and OneDrive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local User Account and OneDrive: From what I have read, in order to use OneDrive (integrated in the OS, not the web browser), you have to use a MSA account to login to the computer in order to use OneDrive. Is there a way to use a Local user account, while still using OneDrive without using a web browser?...