Windows 10: "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing

Discus and support "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been trying to use headphones on my laptop. They haven't been working and I believe this is because the "what did you just plug in?" prompt is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChrisM_9000, Feb 18, 2019.

1. "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing

I have been trying to use headphones on my laptop. They haven't been working and I believe this is because the "what did you just plug in?" prompt is not appearing when I plug them into the audio jack. How do I get this prompt back? I am using Windows 10.

:)

ChrisM_9000, Feb 18, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Password prompt isn't appearing

Hi,

We'll need to gather a bit more information to better identify why the password prompt is not appearing on your laptop. Kindly answer the following:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Did you notice any changes on the computer prior to this concern?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the log in screen? Make sure that you remove all personal information.

Charianne Per, Feb 18, 2019
  4. DerDonc Win User

"What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing

Yesterday I got my new graphics card. Everything is running fine. I have the actual drivers installed, except for when I log in there´s no log in prompt appearing. After I choose the restart option it appears and I can log in. To basically restart the computer each time is quite annoying. Any suggestions?

DerDonc, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

"What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing

1. "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing - Similar Threads - did plug prompt

2. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  3. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  4. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I stop the "which device did you just plug in?" prompts everytime I plug my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop the "which device did you just plug in?" prompts everytime I plug my...: Every time I plug my headphones in, I get this prompt asking me which device I plugged in and I have to click on "OK" everytime. It's super annoying and sometimes I misclick, causing the notification to go away and me having to re-plug the headphones. How do I make it...
  6. "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

"What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...: Hello all, On windows 7, there used to be this menu that would come up anytime you plugged something into the 3.5 mm audio jack, asking you if it was a headphone, line in, etc. This seems to be missing from Windows10 - how can I enable this, or something similar? I record...
  7. I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt

I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt: Whenever I plug in a microphone, headphones, or earbuds, a popup asks me to select which thing I've plugged in. This is helpful for if I'm using over-ear vs in-ear or headphones vs a headset and so on. I accidentally clicked the "do not show again" button. I've tried to find...
  8. How to disable "Which device did you plug in?" Prompt.

How to disable "Which device did you plug in?" Prompt.: I've read a lot of queries asking how to disable the obnoxious prompt and have figured out a method of doing so without control panel. This is done on Windows 10. Go to the settings application by pressing the windows key or clicking the windows icon at the bottom left...
  9. How to disable "Which Device Did You Plug In?" Prompt thread

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable "Which Device Did You Plug In?" Prompt thread: I've recently purchased a new laptop and every time I plug in the headphones it annoys me with "Which Device Did You Plug In?" prompt. Today was the day I had enough of it and I decided to try and fix it, but after 3 hours straight of seeing old posts with outdated windows...
  10. 'what device did you just plug in' popup

'what device did you just plug in' popup: Hello, In the past I had used headphones (no microphone) with my windows 10 laptop. Back then a popup would come up saying 'what device have you plugged in' every time I plugged them into the jack. However I clicked the 'do not display' icon so now when I want to use my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which device did you plug in prompt

2. which device did you plug in

3. which device did you plug in popup

4. what did you just plugin in,
  5. what device did you plug in not appearing