Windows 10: What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?

Discus and support What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to create a recovery for my Windows 10, and during the process I get an error saying that: "We can't create the recovery drive: A problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Windows10Help, May 15, 2016.

1. What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?

I'm trying to create a recovery for my Windows 10, and during the process I get an error saying that: "We can't create the recovery drive: A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." With some searching, I found that a common way to fix the error is to un-tick the "Backup system files to the recovery drive" message before proceeding to create a recovery drive. I'm wondering what would happen to the recovery/back-up if I did so.

:)

Windows10Help, May 15, 2016
  2. SueG-MD Win User

can't create recovery drive for win10 build 10240

After 3 attempts to create a recovery drive, unchecking that box allowed me to create the recovery drive. Thanks.

SueG-MD, May 15, 2016
  3. Myname88 Win User
    Windows 10, can't create recovery drive.

Uncheck the box "Back up system files to the recovery drive." Then it will work.

Myname88, May 15, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?

Have you read this? Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

From the Tutorial

What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do? [​IMG]
    Note Back up system files to the recovery drive will require that the USB flash drive is large (at least 8-16 GB) enough for this.

Checking this option will give you a Recover from drive Troubleshoot option in advanced startup that allows you to reinstall Windows from the recovery drive.

Some people are getting a We can't create the recovery drive - A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive error message with Back up system files to the recovery drive checked.

If you have this issue, then leaving Back up system files to the recovery drive unchecked should allow it to successfully create a recovery drive.

essenbe, May 15, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you uncheck the backup system files option - you basically end up with a recovery drive that will just give you the Windows recovery menu with no means of actually performing a re-installation of Windows from it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?

1. What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do? - Similar Threads - does unchecking Backup

2. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  3. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  4. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive): Hi I'm becoming more and more confused over TPM and perhaps to a lesser extent on Secure Boot. Sure, I've got both enabled on my PC but exactly what do they do, particularly TPM? Yes, the TPM stores keys (or parts of keys) and generally provides a higher level of security of...
  6. Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files: I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me...
  7. Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files: I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me...
  8. Create recovery drive with "backup of system files" option.

Create recovery drive with "backup of system files" option.: Hello friends! I have a little doubt regarding the creation of a recovery disc.When starting the creation of a recovery unit, if I select the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", according to the media creation program, I can perform a Windows installation...
  9. What exactly does Backup do?

What exactly does Backup do?: I am puzzled by the term backup when you go to Settings > Backup. I have a folder on my NAS defined as my backup drive. I have set the time interval to every ten minutes until I am sure of what is being backed up. Does the backup process store MY files as opposed to WIN...
  10. What does Create a Recovery Drive do?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does Create a Recovery Drive do?: Hi I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does. Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does it include the files to restore Windows on it or just a disk that lets you access Windows Recovery. I guess I'm asking...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unchecking the back up system files to recovery drive

2. backup system files to recovery

3. backup system files to the recovery drive

4. what if you uncheck back up system files,
  5. uncheck option backup system files to the recovery drive,
  6. back up system files to the recovery drive,
  7. if you untick restore system files option,
  8. what if i untick back up system files to recovery drive,
  9. backup and restore uncheck system files,
  10. What does unchecking Backup system files to the recovery drive do?,
  11. what does backup system files to the recovery drive does,
  12. Windows 10: What does unchecking Backup system files to the recovery drive do? ,
  13. unchecking backup system files to the recovery drive