Windows 10: What is happening with my 'boot.wim' file ?

Discus and support What is happening with my 'boot.wim' file ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What is happening with my 'boot.wim' file ? I have been having some problems with booting on my computer recently and I think that I have found the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FredM8, Aug 11, 2017.

1. FredM8 Win User

What is happening with my 'boot.wim' file ?

I have been having some problems with booting on my computer recently and I think that I have found the cause but do not know how to resolve it.
    Following the W10 tutorial on creating a repair disc I decided to create a new one for the PC that was having the problems. I thought that the problems had been cured after I downloaded a brand new image from the Microsoft site and burned the ISO to a DVD.

I tested this ISO by doing a partial install to see if was being recognised, and it was. So I used this ISO to repair my problem PC and since then it has been purring along very nicely. Apart from having to unplug and reconnect my keyboard from time to time. It sometimes fails to be seen. It also takes AGES to search for updates to Windows Defender, and then goes through the download and installation process just as slowley, while sometimes downloading and installing nothing ?

When I went to create the repair disc I was told that the required files were not on my computer and I would have to insert the installation disc, this I did, then was asked to insert new blank media for the creation of the repair disc, this I did.

Just out of interest, I decided to create another repair disc on my other machine, also a Z97 Motherboard running the same version of Windows. I then compared the size and content of each repair disc.

The machine that has been giving the problems had created a repair disc with a 'sources' folder with a 'boot.wim' file of 291 MB

The machine that has NOT been giving any problems had created a repair disc with a 'sources' folder with a 'boot.wim' file of 308 MB

Can anyone explain what is going on here, and what I have to do to put it right ?

:)

FredM8, Aug 11, 2017

2. Hi please what is happening with my nokia n900?

hey body ...

i just had the same problem as urs ..

and since 3 hours i've been trying to fix it ...

and i succeeded in fixing it ...

if u have fixed it ... then thats ok ..

if u didnt ....

plz write me on my email ...

cuz i don't check on this nokia account ...

xD

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

We have edited your post as it contains your e-mail address. For your security, we do not allow posting personal or contact information in the discussion board. Thank you for understanding.

HamzaSmadi---01, Aug 11, 2017
  3. Hi please what is happening with my nokia n900?

when I enter the following:

open xterm (be sure you have roostsh installed and your extras-devel repo is enabled)

sudo gainroot

apt-get install nitdroid-installer

nitdroid (this will take a while, at least 20 minutes on wifi)

it gives no file found ????

lobnany123, Aug 11, 2017
  4. Rocky Win User

When you use the Media Creation Tool to create an installation/repair disc, the file is about 4 gb in size.

Download Windows 10

Rocky, Aug 11, 2017
  5. FredM8 Win User
    The file I downloaded and burned to a DVD was certainly big. But for a sytem repair disc a CD is enough. That has a max of just over 700 MB. The problem seems to be that files are not being passed over to the CD during the repair building process.

I have just checked and the ISO that I saved to a DVD is 3.39GB in size. This was done on the 7th of this month.

( And I have just had that lost the keybord problem again ! )
    All it takes to fix this problem is to pull the plug and put it back in again ?

I have used the startup disc created on my other machine and tried to correct this problem but it stated that windows startup could not be repaired and below is the log file. I think it means that there was nothing to repair.

Code: Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log --------------------------- Last successful boot time: ‎8/‎12/‎2017 4:29:56 PM (GMT) Number of repair attempts: 1 Session details --------------------------- System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0 Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS AutoChk Run = 0 Number of root causes = 1 Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Check for updates Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: System disk test Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Disk failure diagnosis Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Disk metadata test Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Target OS test Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Volume content check Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 469 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Boot manager diagnosis Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: System boot log diagnosis Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Event log diagnosis Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 16 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Internal state check Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Test Performed: --------------------------- Name: Boot status test Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0 Time taken = 0 ms Root cause found: --------------------------- Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully. --------------------------- ---------------------------[/quote]
    But I do have recuring boot problems, and there must be a reason why certain boot files are not loading properly to make a repair disc on this machine ?

FredM8, Aug 11, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you check the box for including system files?

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2017
  7. FredM8 Win User
    I am not getting that option. I get told that the files are not on my computer and that I must insert the W10 ISO, which I do. Then I get asked to insert a CD or DVD, which I do. Then the repair disc is created. This disc is 322 MB in size, compared to the repair disc made on my other machine which is 340 MB in size without involving the W10 ISO

FredM8, Aug 11, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2017
  9. Can I ask what process you are using to create this disk.

There is a CD process that you create and use as part of the Windows 7 Backup and Restore.

Windows 10 has a process to create recovery drive. Type Recovery drive into Cortana. It creates a USB key and first panel asks if you want to copy System files.

Caledon Ken, Aug 11, 2017
  10. FredM8 Win User
    The windows 7 route is the one that I have been using. I have used this route on each of my machines that are giving different results.

FredM8, Aug 11, 2017
  11. FredM8 Win User
    This is going to be the way that I go. I downloaded W10 and used the latest media creation tool to mount it to DVD on August the 7th.
    This is the DVD that has 3.39 GB of download. Does it sound like I have got it all ?

FredM8, Aug 11, 2017
  12. Caledon Ken, Aug 11, 2017
  13. FredM8 Win User

Caledon !

Yes, I think that I will give that a try first.

Just going to pop over to Amazon to find a USB drive big enough. So it's going to be early next week before I do anything.

Like I said earlier, my computer is essentialy OK, but it is certainly not behaving as it should, so I will sort it.

I will post the results next week.

Many thanks to all !!!

FredM8, Aug 11, 2017
  14. Before you buy just start the process and proceed to the point where it will tell you the exact size needed. You can cancel and restart when you have key.

It likely will be a 4GB or 8GB.

Caledon Ken, Aug 12, 2017
  15. FredM8 Win User
    What is happening with my 'boot.wim' file ? [​IMG]

This is the error message that I am getting. It's giving the same reason as when I try to create a Windows repair CD.

I have the anniversary edition of windows installed, which is the one currently being downloaded from Microsoft.
    It was only downloaded again and burned to a DVD just a few days ago

This is what I have

Version 1607
    OS Build 14393.1066

I have already bought the 64GB USB Flash drive form Amazon. So, I will download afresh and follow the instructions to load it onto a USB Flash drive, and then follow the tutorial by Brink, to reinstall/update, but still keep all files and progs.

FredM8, Aug 12, 2017
Thema:

1. What is happening with my 'boot.wim' file ? - Similar Threads - happening 'boot wim'

2. what happen to my Norton anti files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what happen to my Norton anti files: what happen to my Horton anti virus files which i have payed for https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happen-to-my-norton-anti-files/223018be-29e2-475f-aabf-a15791a1888b
  3. what happen to my Norton anti files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what happen to my Norton anti files: what happen to my Horton anti virus files which i have payed for https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happen-to-my-norton-anti-files/223018be-29e2-475f-aabf-a15791a1888b
  4. Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot: Hi, I am really at a loss, and was hoping someone would help. I have a .WIM that I need to restore to a test laptop.I have a USB thumb drive with WinPE on it. I have a USB SSD with the .WIM.The version of Windows is newer as of 6/2021, likely the latest version or one...
  5. What do i do with a firmware .wim file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What do i do with a firmware .wim file: So i have an iLife zedbook 3g, its those hybrid tablets that allow you to have android and windows on it. All in all my windows started acting weird so i reinstalled windows but i did it with the creation tool from the microsoft website. Now here is the problem, that removed...
  6. Network Boot Plain WIM

Network Boot Plain WIM: Is it possible to network boot a WIM image ripped straight from the ISO, after isolating an index, or is it required to capture a running system to work with windows pe?...
  7. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  8. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...
  9. What happened to all my downloaded files???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened to all my downloaded files???: I am using Windows 10 ( not sure if that's the issue or not) but I haven't used my laptop in a couple of weeks but I went to open some files this morning that were downloaded months and several over a year ago and I have been accessing with no problem and ALL of my downloaded...
  10. what happened to all my files?

what happened to all my files?: my computer updated, and this morning i have lost everything that was on it...everything. all the art, the reference, my sketches, files...everything. i use this as my business and your update wiped everything...no warning, nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!! how can YOU fix this!!!!! I...