Windows 10: What Procedure To Follow When Only Option Left is Command Prompt?

Discus and support What Procedure To Follow When Only Option Left is Command Prompt? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My son's pc suddenly stopped booting. Just hung on a windows 'window' logo. We worked on it with Kyhi's usb and got it to where it now boots to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by arthurbrogard, Dec 2, 2019.

1. What Procedure To Follow When Only Option Left is Command Prompt?

My son's pc suddenly stopped booting. Just hung on a windows 'window' logo.

We worked on it with Kyhi's usb and got it to where it now boots to a message that it's broken and we m ust do something.

So we boot off a windows repair usb we made from a download.

'Troubleshoot' couldn't do anything. Said it was unable.

Went to advanced options and tried 'startup repair'. It couldn't do anything.

So we've got no image to go back to. Uninstall Windows update failed on both quality and feature updates: reported it couldn't do it.

And no restore points.

Only option left before reinstall is command prompt.

We are hoping we can get a procedure to follow at the command prompt that might find and cure the problem.

Possible?

:)

arthurbrogard, Dec 2, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Dec 2, 2019
  3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

What Procedure To Follow When Only Option Left is Command Prompt?

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

What Procedure To Follow When Only Option Left is Command Prompt?

1. What Procedure To Follow When Only Option Left is Command Prompt? - Similar Threads - Procedure Follow Option

2. What is the Procedure to ... ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the Procedure to ... ?: I have an existing Win 10 Pro 64 license, upgraded via Win 7 > 8 > 10. I want to Migrate to a larger SSD partitioned completely GUID. I want to save all Settings, Apps, Yada ... . That is, I want to restore a system image to a different SSD EFI partition. I have a Type C SATA...
  3. What is the Procedure to ... ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the Procedure to ... ?: I have an existing Win 10 Pro 64 license, upgraded via Win 7 > 8 > 10. I want to Migrate to a larger SSD partitioned completely GUID. I want to save all Settings, Apps, Yada ... . That is, I want to restore a system image to a different SSD EFI partition. I have a Type C SATA...
  4. What is the Procedure to ... ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is the password for the command prompt in reboot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is the password for the command prompt in reboot?: I am switching my Bios from Legacy to UEFI and I need to use my command prompt during the boot. I tried my PIN when I unlock my computer and my Microsoft Account password but neither have worked.This is an example pic from google....
  6. What is the password for the command prompt in reboot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the password for the command prompt in reboot?: I am switching my Bios from Legacy to UEFI and I need to use my command prompt during the boot. I tried my PIN when I unlock my computer and my Microsoft Account password but neither have worked.This is an example pic from google....
  7. What is the password for the command prompt in reboot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Desktop option not showing in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop option not showing in Command Prompt: After executing command in prompt desktop option is not visible prompt window. how to solve this problem[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-option-not-showing-in-command-prompt/1658d1cd-813a-4797-9201-cd4ff7156642
  9. Command+Option+Left Key of Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command+Option+Left Key of Windows: Hey Guys, So I recently migrated from MacOS to Windows. I have been used to using the Command+Option+Left Key to switch between tabs in browsers. Is it possible to do the same in Windows or is it possible to create that shortcut? I know about the Ctrl+Tab but I prefer the...
  10. Advanced Options Command Prompt Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Options Command Prompt Problem: Ok so I set a net user <username> /time command and I need to remove the command in advanced options command prompt. When the try to execute the command net user <username> /time:all. It returns username not found. I am confused about what is going wrong submitted by...