Windows 10: What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive?

Discus and support What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I had a pretty big scare a few minutes ago. My brand new machine which I basically only use for the web and no one else has access to, appeared to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/stealurface1, Feb 23, 2020.

1. What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive?

So I had a pretty big scare a few minutes ago. My brand new machine which I basically only use for the web and no one else has access to, appeared to be stuck in a boot loop. Well, it ended up being just that the power key was stuck. The experience has motivated me to make a recovery as I'm not so sure if I could use my mac to do so. This is my first windows machine in a long time. So is 8 gigs big enough? Does it matter if it's 2.o0 or 3.0? Should I just do a recovery or is there a way to just back up the whole thing? If there is I am assuming I would need a 256 gig USB as that us the size of my hard drive.But like I said I basically live in the cloud so anything I download goes to google one or drive whatever and the settings are easily reset so IDK. Any and all input is welcome and TIA for any suggestions and or tips or links and advice. Oh, and can I make a recovery drive from either my phone and mac if something happens before I get the stick?

submitted by /u/stealurface1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/stealurface1, Feb 23, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

3. zbook Win User
    How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Feb 23, 2020
  4. wags1 Win User

What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive?

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Thanks again for helping. Yes, I've found and tried those instructions prior to posting. Nothing seems to work. It is ridiculous that Windows basically trashes a perfectly good USB stick when it creates a recovery disk. Their should be a way to clear it off so you can use it again but I guess not. Probably going to just give up and toss it....they are cheap enough these days.

wags1, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive?

1. What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive? - Similar Threads - size type USB

2. Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?: I had to reinstall Windows 10 Home 20H2. i.e. clean install using Installer media.Do I have to redo the creation of Recovery disc and Recovery drive and discard previous ones?...
  3. Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?: I had to reinstall Windows 10 Home 20H2. i.e. clean install using Installer media.Do I have to redo the creation of Recovery disc and Recovery drive and discard previous ones?...
  4. Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What should be the size of recovery partition in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should be the size of recovery partition in windows 11?: What is the just sufficient size of the recovery partition in windows 11? I have recently upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11. Now, I am partitioning C-drive to create other drives using the inbuilt disk management utility.I can see here that there are two recovery...
  6. What should be the size of recovery partition in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should be the size of recovery partition in windows 11?: What is the just sufficient size of the recovery partition in windows 11? I have recently upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11. Now, I am partitioning C-drive to create other drives using the inbuilt disk management utility.I can see here that there are two recovery...
  7. Can i use create a recovery drive using only a partition of a USB drive?

Can i use create a recovery drive using only a partition of a USB drive?: I created a recovery drive using the Windows 10 Settings function. I have a USB hard drive with three partitions on. I selected one of the partitions but once the recovery drive process had finished, it had wiped the other partitions on the drive Should i just buy a 30GB...
  8. Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to?

Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to?: My SSD is spitting out errors like crazy and I want to move my windows install to my secondary HDD. I have a recovery USB from the maker of my PC, but I can't get a clear answer on if the USB will let me choose what drive it goes on. Help?...
  9. What type of account should be used on a rebuild?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    What type of account should be used on a rebuild?: Hi Guys, I'm old school, so I always create local accounts, I do have a Microsoft account and use it for OneDrive storage, I've just done a complete re-install on a Windows 10 laptop and ofcourse it asked me about accounts, as I'm used to doing local and I might sell the...
  10. What size should searchprotocolhost.exe be?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What size should searchprotocolhost.exe be?: I was getting some login prompts for this application. I removed my windows email account from Outlook and re-added it and it looks like the prompting has stopped. However, now I am worried if I have some sort of virus in the searchprotocolhost.exe. What size should the...