Windows 10: Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space?

Discus and support Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys, quick question. I seem to have 5GB of free space caught up in something and cant seem to delete it. I tried using the windows 10 tool under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Marko1401 Win User

Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space?

Hi guys,

quick question. I seem to have 5GB of free space caught up in something and cant seem to delete it. I tried using the windows 10 tool under settings to get rid of it and it wont work - See attached.

Whats up with 5 gb of space?
    On a side note - I have been installing and removing some games totally from my SSD.

I'm not going to go nuts over it but whats happening with the storage space and why cant windows delete it?
    Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space? [​IMG]

And whats win10 doing with other space aside for what it needs with the 27gb in order to function?
    Are those ex win 10 updates?

Thanks!

:)

Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 Apps and Game Storage Doesn't Add Up

Hi Seph, Windows is useless at analysing where the SSD space is being used

Click the link below to download TreeSize a small free utility that will show you exactly what is eating up your space

JAM Software - Windows Freeware

DaveM121, Jun 7, 2016
  3. download issue using windows 10

Download issue, ever since 2/21/2017. If I download anything, usually a document from email or one of my office programs or anywhere else the screen begins a quick flash of the download up by the tab and proceeds to download 50-60 copies before it stops
    unless i cancel the process. Then I have to go into downloads and delete all of them. Do I have virus, it doesn't seem to act like a virus as it is only affected by downloads.

Thanks in advance.

Whats up windows, Jun 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jun 7, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
  6. Thanks for that very helpful tip, @Arc.

My new Win10 box has a SSD for OS and a spinner for data -- I will add disabling hibernation to my "honey do" list when I fire up the system.
    (My Win7 lappy also has a SSD -- I never use hibernate, but I will verify that it's disabled there, too.)

Much obliged,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 7, 2016
  7. Marko1401 Win User
    The Hibernate file sys is at 1.9gb. Im ok with that for now.
    I also found, believe it or not - roughly 5gb of wasted space on - system restore points due to my installing and uninstalling programs, games etc over the last 14 days.

But that doesn't take care of the 4something GB of wasted space reported by win10 - and when I click to get rid of it, there is a no go Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space? :)
    Just a message like above.

Disk cleanup doesnt report that file size.

Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

jimbo45, Jun 7, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
  10. Marko1401 Win User
    just did extended disk cleanup and the 5GB issue is still present.

Puzzled.....

Tree - Like the overview but of no help here.
    But - on first glance the 4.7 Issue seems to refer to the software distribution and there are files inside from 2014. all the way to yesterday..

Safe to delete?

Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016
  11. Superfly Win User
    That's where windows update stores downloads... so yes, it's safe to delete.

Superfly, Jun 7, 2016
  12. Marko1401 Win User
    Just did.

issue resolved!

As always - Great feedback guys.

Thanks Jimbo!

Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016
  13. Marko1401 Win User

Thanks man

Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016
  14. Slartybart, Jun 7, 2016
  15. Marko1401 Win User
    Did just that - And It didn't go away.....

But, the issue was resolved when I manually deleted the files I found using that tree program.
    It was a huge dump of win10 update files. Go figure.

Marko1401, Jun 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space? - Similar Threads - Whats eating free

2. Can't free up SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't free up SSD space: I installed several games recently first valorant and when I installed it I had 124 GB free after like 2 days I uninstalled it and the free space was reduced to 112 GB. I installed witcher 3 game after that and there were some missing files after installing so I had to re...
  3. Can't free up SSD space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't free up SSD space: I installed several games recently first valorant and when I installed it I had 124 GB free after like 2 days I uninstalled it and the free space was reduced to 112 GB. I installed witcher 3 game after that and there were some missing files after installing so I had to re...
  4. Not freeing up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not freeing up space: Hi . I have a problem I uninstalled two games 80 GB each and space on my disk didn't get freed up and I can't even locate the folders anywhere . I don't know if it's a Windows bug or something with my folders but I would like some help...
  5. Not freeing up space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not freeing up space: Hi . I have a problem I uninstalled two games 80 GB each and space on my disk didn't get freed up and I can't even locate the folders anywhere . I don't know if it's a Windows bug or something with my folders but I would like some help...
  6. free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    free up space: I am constantly deleting files so that my drive can be in the blue not red with space. I am not sure what to remove to get it in the blue again. This happens a lot to me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/a15e3ad0-46ff-40cc-bd11-ce678cf07aac
  7. free up space

free up space: HOw do I transfer files from C drive to D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/3387af44-6d0c-46b2-af12-b325a86bdb5f
  8. Something is eating up my C-drives free space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Something is eating up my C-drives free space: Drive #1 - Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB 232 GB C: I'm able to find 50GB of files when I check, but I only have about 10GB of free space. I turned off hibernation, which gave me another 20GB. This was 4 days ago. Now I have about 10GB free space. My C-drive is the OS only,...
  9. free up space

free up space: how do I free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/0e7474ee-5360-483a-9e9e-7342c9c5f530"
  10. ssd and hdd free up space

ssd and hdd free up space: Hello, i just bought a new laptop with two hard drives in it. i would like to use my ssd drive for editing purposes and the hdd to storrage my videos. the thing is that my ssd has the os in it and it only has 30 gb of space left. i am wondering if i could free some space on...