Windows 10: Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

Discus and support Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Much as I like Windows 10 (despite an unnecessarily difficult installation), I'm horrified to find that they have apparently abandoned the 'Favorites'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tallonius, Aug 5, 2015.

1. tallonius Win User

Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

Much as I like Windows 10 (despite an unnecessarily difficult installation), I'm horrified to find that they have apparently abandoned the 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' folders - which I used constantly and had grown to love.

Are they hiding them somewhere? Is there a way to restore/find them? Have I missed something obvious?

(I can't believe that they would be so stupid as to get rid of them: 'recent files' and 'Frequent folders' are good, but not quite as useful...).

:)

tallonius, Aug 5, 2015
  2. AmanFord Win User

where is the Recent Places folder in file explorer and save?

Just upgraded to windows 10 and have discovered that recent places is missing from file explorer and the save dialog box. There is no way in the world that MS would remove this functionality, really, is there? I mean, really? what would possibly be the motivation
    to do such a thing?

So after perusing the google-dom and coming up with a few fixes from a year ago that seem not to be real fixes, I am hoping that there is actually a decent repair to this MAJOR issue. I will roll back windows 10 if it can't be fixed--it is just that irritating
    and unproductive to have lost this most excellent functionality.

I absolutely cannot believe that this was removed. does anyone at MS actually use this stuff? whoever made this decision should get the old pink slip (and I am speaking as spouse of a long-time MS employee).

So please, as a terminal end user, tell me how to get this done, please...

AmanFord, Aug 5, 2015
  3. thrivejn Win User
    where is the Recent Places folder in file explorer and save?

Hello Aman -

First - I completely agree with you that this is a terrible mistake that Microsoft made. I also make frequent use of this feature, and Microsoft needs to put it back ASAP.

That said, if you need the feature right away, there is a workaround that truly does work. I have done this on more than one Windows 10 install and it works each time.

Read this thread carefully:

File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes.. Solved - Windows 10 Forums

And then once you understand it, follow the steps to:

1. Reinstate "Recent Folders" in your general Explorer windows; then

2. Reinstate "Recent Folders" permanently in your Save As... dialogue boxes.

This should do it as a temporary fix.

thrivejn, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

They are both in "Quick Access" the first item on the Navigation Pane.
    Expand "Quick Access" to get your Links, Click on "Quick Access" to get your "Frequent" Places and Recent Items.

Frequent Folders is Frequent Places.

logicearth, Aug 5, 2015
  5. jsmonroe Win User
    But "frequent folders" is not the same as RECENT folders. This is ruining my work life. Does anyone know of a way to get recent folders back?

jsmonroe, Aug 8, 2015
  6. In Windows 8 the item you are talking about is Frequent Places and in Frequent Folders in Windows 10 is it. Just a name change.

Aside, right-click on Explorers taskbar icon, pull up its jumplist. You'll find recent files and folders.

logicearth, Aug 8, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    For favorites, right click a folder and click "Pin to quick access".
    For recent files and folders, pin this to quick access: %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

8. Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

in Edge you can access them from the menu top right..
    you can sort them how you wish by holding down on the mouse button and dragging them up or down the list
    - the newer additions go in at the bottom of the list..

BugMeister, Aug 8, 2015
  9. wpcoe Win User
    On my Win10 installations (clean install of Win10 Home on notebook, updgrade install of Win 10 Pro on desktop), <right-click> on Explorer's taskbar icon only displays the items in my Quick Access list. And, only the first ten*, at that. It's not a true "recent files" or "recent folders" list like in previous Windows versions.

*Off topic, but Win10 seems to abandoned user control over how many jump list items can be displayed on taskbar icons. It's hard-wired at ten items?

wpcoe, Aug 8, 2015
  10. jsmonroe Win User
    How do you pin that to quick access? That address does not do anything for me in windows explorer. I have recent files in the "Quick Access" but not recent folders.

jsmonroe, Aug 9, 2015
  11. jsmonroe Win User
    It is not just a name change - there is "frequent folders" and "recent files" --- there is not "recent folders"

There are only a few folders when you right click on the taskbar icon - previous Windows had a longer list under the "Recent Places" folder

jsmonroe, Aug 9, 2015
  12. tdroz Win User
    I've done this to get Recent Items to show up in Quick Access and in Windows Explorer Jump List

• In Windows Explorer, navigate to "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items" without the quotes

Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer? [​IMG]
    • In Windows Explorer, make sure the Navigation Pane is visible. If it's not, go to the Menu Bar and select View -> Navigation Pane and put a checkmark next to Navigation Pane.
    • In Windows Explorer, go to the Menu Bar and select Home -> Pin to Quick Access:

Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer? [​IMG]
    • The "Recent items" folder will appear in the Navigation Pane, and you can drag it to the top of the Quick access list if you desire.
    This should also put Recent items at the top of the Windows Explorer Jump List, and in the Start Menu -> File Explorer -> Pinned list.

tdroz, Aug 10, 2015
  13. Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

My problem is that I WANT the explorer to show recent FILES. It already shows frequent FOLDERS. When I go to View-->Options-->General-->Privacy and check the box that says "Show recently used files in Quick access," and I close the Options window, hit "apply" and then "okay." and then re-open the options window, the box is unchecked.

When I choose "Restore Defaults," both boxes now show check marks. Good. I close the Options window and re-open it and only the "show folders" box is checked. The "show files" box will not stay checked.

At no time do "Recent files" show up in the Quick Access window. Frequent FOLDERS do show up, but I want to go to recent files (documents). I used this feature all the time in Win7. Grrr.

I tried the solution proposed by tdroz (finding the recent items icon and pinning it to Quick Access) but still no recent items appear in the Quick Access window. I'm assuming "recent items" are (for example) documents you recently created or edited?

Can someone help me with this? Thx. (My first post in this forum. Hi! *Nerd )

OverTheMoon, Aug 17, 2015
  14. GLR
    glr Win User
  15. HerbyN Win User
    [message deleted]

HerbyN, Sep 11, 2015
Thema:

Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

1. Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer? - Similar Threads - Where are 'Favorites'

2. File explorer showing unwanted things in recent and favorites section need to be fixed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer showing unwanted things in recent and favorites section need to be fixed: File explore is not showing my recent activated showing only from the one drive need to be fixed.and the favorites section is showing irrelevant files...
  3. File explorer showing unwanted things in recent and favorites section need to be fixed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer showing unwanted things in recent and favorites section need to be fixed: File explore is not showing my recent activated showing only from the one drive need to be fixed.and the favorites section is showing irrelevant files...
  4. Why is Favorites and Recent missing from File Explorer in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Favorites and Recent missing from File Explorer in Windows 11?: Even though I have added files to Favorites in the File Explorer, the File Explorer just does not show Favorites.There used to have Recent files in Windows 10, but now I don't see any Recent files being listed with the new Windows 11.Did the Restore Defaults in the File...
  5. Why is Favorites and Recent missing from File Explorer in Windows 11?

Why is Favorites and Recent missing from File Explorer in Windows 11?: Even though I have added files to Favorites in the File Explorer, the File Explorer just does not show Favorites.There used to have Recent files in Windows 10, but now I don't see any Recent files being listed with the new Windows 11.Did the Restore Defaults in the File...
  6. where is my favorites

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    where is my favorites: where did my favorites go https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/where-is-my-favorites/e55dbf5b-6bf3-4d92-9154-c035c88cf73a
  7. where are internet explorer favorites stored in windows 10?

in Browsers and Email
    where are internet explorer favorites stored in windows 10?: still using internet explorer at times, but my favorites are old, and I want to delete them all, and import my current ones from Cyberfox, but cant find any info on where these are kept now.. thanks! 24674
  8. Recent places in Explorer doesn't work.

Recent places in Explorer doesn't work.: Hiya, has had this issue for a couple of days now where I right click on the Explorer app on the taskbar and click a recently visited folder and nothing happens, there is no window popping up with the location. I have also looked through Brink's tutorial on the forums...
  9. Add Recent Places/Folders to File Explorer taskbar Jump List

in Windows 10 Support
    Add Recent Places/Folders to File Explorer taskbar Jump List: I've read almost all the threads related to this subject. I would like the right-click jump list on the file explorer icon in the taskbar to show a Recent Folders section. I don't want Frequent Folders. I don't want Recent Files I'm not trying to pin "Recent...
  10. Recent Places on File Explorer Always Empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Places on File Explorer Always Empty: Hello guys , i really don't know what to do. The recent places on file explorer alwyas empty and shows only the pinned folders , in notepad for example it do shows the "recent" Anyone know how to solve it? Thanks. 66036