Windows 10: Where is Defender setting to Quarantine - in Win 1703

Discus and support Where is Defender setting to Quarantine - in Win 1703 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In Windows 1607 Windows Defender had a way to set how to handle detections and I could set two bottom lines to Quarantine rather than Recommended... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by 91fw, Aug 14, 2017.

1. 91fw Win User

Where is Defender setting to Quarantine - in Win 1703

In Windows 1607 Windows Defender had a way to set how to handle detections and I could set two bottom lines to Quarantine rather than Recommended setting, which probably meant delete.
    In Windows 1703 - I cannot find where such setting is made. I think I looked through every possible thing (as admin) in the Defender settings and no go.
    Also there was a way in the registry to have Defender check for PUPs and I don't recall how that gem was set.
    Does anyone know?

:)

2. Windows Defender is missing Restore Button for Quarantined Threats

I need to restore a quarantined threat, but the restore button is no longer showing in Windows Defender. Windows Pro 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.608

Crawdaddy1999, Aug 14, 2017
  3. RichJanis Win User
    windows defender quarantine

Where is Windows Defender quarantine location in Windows 10? How do I see which files have been quarantined? How do I un-quarantine a file? How do I tell Windows Defender to consider a file as safe?

RichJanis, Aug 14, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey 91fw,
    Far as I know the default is Quarantine. If you using Win10 Pro, I believe you can set WD thru the Group Policy Editor. You can also Open PowerShell as Administrator > Get-MpPreference and Set-MpPreference.
    Get-MpPreference
    Set-MpPreference

View Current Settings
    get-mppreference

Set preference for PUP
    set-mppreference PUAProtection 1

Note: I would create a txt file of the current settings first *Smile
    get-mppreference > "$($env:userprofile)\Desktop\wd-settings.txt"

Eagle51, Aug 14, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Microsoft call them PUAs ('Potentionally Unwanted Applications' rather than 'Programs'). There's a tutorial for this.

Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10

6. 91fw Win User
    Thanks much for this, see below.

7. 91fw Win User
    Thank you both for the neat instructions. Still it's all clear as mud to me. Can't understand why all those 34 possible settings are not in the GUI. I can't send feedback to M$ because I only use a local account.

I could, but did not use gpedit, just wanted to see how it works by other methods.
    I did use powershell for the first time ever, and the result of PUAProtection did change from 0 to 1. I used the "-PUAProtection 1" (see -) in the command with this final result:
    I did not use the registry, it was and still is:
    - So why did the powershell output report PUAProtection as zero before I changed it to 1 when the registry already was set?
    - In the powershell .txt output, any idea what is the meaning of zero, and what is 90 - miliseconds, seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, centuries? Is there somewhere a list of the meaning of some settings? Watching scripts might not be a bad idea.
    - Are the CMD commands no longer possible? Just powershell with its strange syntax?

8. Eagle51 Win User

Not sure on that *Sad

Check this page ... Set-MpPreference

Command Prompt is still available. The get/set mppreference just happens to be a PowerShell command. If you're referring to the win+x menu, check this tutorial ... Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Eagle51, Aug 15, 2017
  9. 91fw Win User
    Thanks for sticking with me.

In my default settings, LowThreatDefaultAction is zero (as are actually all other threat actions).
    So I look up what zero might stand for in the M$ page you so kindly provided.
    I still don't know what zero stands for. Nor what number might be good for, for example, "Ask me" or "Remove" or "Allow". It was possible to set such things on 1607, but not now on 1703. For some settings they do list corresponding numbers. Curious.
    I have a hunch there's no solution to the removed options in GUI, Arrggghhh *Sad other than take a look at gpedit which I haven't yet done.

10. Eagle51 Win User
    I hadn't looked that close at that particular settings and mine is 0. The couple of things WD has flagged, it quarantined. So I can only assume (dangerous I know) that 0 is default for quarantine. If I were to change it, I would use the accepted value wording and not guess at what number they might be.

Eagle51, Aug 16, 2017
  11. 91fw Win User
    When WD flagged, did you a get an alert on the screen so you could then look at the exact list?
    In previous windows (1607) I did get an alert and then in the GUI I was able to see what they show and what to do. It was ImgBurn with its OpenCandy junk so was a correct detection, and since I knew how OpenCandy works (wants to run out of .tmp file which another program would block for me) I chose to ignore. Is that still possible? I'm just trying to see how it'll work and the total lack of GUI information annoys me *Smile

12. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Aug 17, 2017
  13. 91fw Win User

So long as I'll be notified and then can decide, it'll work for me.

Good link for making a shortcut, thanks, but...
    I just ran MSASCui.exe, as admin, to look at settings - unfortunately it took me to the very incomplete settings that came with 1703.
    Oh, well. I'll mark this thread as solved since I have a hunch we can't do better than your wonderful tips and I feel it's time to stop imposing on your time.
    BTW, I was looking in gpedit. Amazing how well M$ describes many, many, settings there with clear description of what happens when you enable or disable or not configured. But without a sandbox, I'm reluctant to mess with it.
    THANK YOU for your helps *Smile

Thema:

1. Where is Defender setting to Quarantine - in Win 1703 - Similar Threads - Where Defender setting

2. where is the quarantined defender files put?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    where is the quarantined defender files put?: i needed the drive free of some files , so was copying a folder I wanted, and Defender was objecting. So I added an exception, but maybe it did not take cause the file is nowhere to be found. It says e: which was the usb drive, so put in another usb drive, and selected to...
  3. Where do i find quarantined items in windows defender

Where do i find quarantined items in windows defender: Where do i find quarantined items in windows defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/where-do-i-find-quarantined-items-in-windows/fb34e269-b978-402f-bdb1-21c10513dc4d
  4. Defender Quarantines WinAero Tweaker

Defender Quarantines WinAero Tweaker: I've had WinAero Tweaker on my laptop for 8 months yet Defender has now decided to quarantine it. Why has it done this after such a long delay? I downloaded the software from the supplier's site and did a virus scan on the file at the time. [img] 154027
  5. Windows 10 1809 - Win Defender Quarantine - Files are deleted?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1809 - Win Defender Quarantine - Files are deleted?: Hello, I have a SCCM installation (current branch) and Windows 10 1809 deployed. As i started to prepare this network almost from scratch, the Endpoint Protection was centralized with Windows Defender and SCCM Endpoint Protection policies. Everything is working as expected,...
  6. Quarantine Threats in Windows Defender

Quarantine Threats in Windows Defender: I am new to windows 10. I have windows defender. It shows threats were quarantined. I need to know where to go from there. When I click on threat quarantined it asks do you allow changes to this device. [Original Title: windows defender]...
  7. No Quarantine in Windows Defender?

No Quarantine in Windows Defender?: I installed Windows 10 1903 and noticed in the Windows Defender settings that the Quarantine section has been removed. Where would I find the Quarantine within Windows Defender in 1903? 137937
  8. quarantine folder for win defender

quarantine folder for win defender: Hello, windows defender has deleted one of my files. How can I recover it? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quarantine-folder-for-win-defender/a4331db9-a90f-442d-9eeb-622423210297"
  9. Malwarebytes Quarantine and Windows Defender

Malwarebytes Quarantine and Windows Defender: I accidently clicked on an dubious site looking for info I was told smartscreen wasn't working but the items had been stopped from entering folders . This was great , I ran the free version of Malwarebytes and it found 4 Items , they turned out to be PUPs and were put in...
  10. where is the quarantine

where is the quarantine: where is the quarantine folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/where-is-the-quarantine/e6017d29-e572-4396-bca8-8041d910a33e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender quarantine location win 10

2. windows 10 defender quarenteen folder location

3. send files to quarintine windows defender gpo actions

4. windows defender av put files in quarantine,
  5. how to set windows defender to have the files in quratine,
  6. how to set quarentine in windows defender,
  7. HighThreatDefaultAction 0