Windows 10: White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

Discus and support White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tcebob Win User

White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons [​IMG]

It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their usefulness and look cruddy. I hope there's a way to get rid of them.

They do not show in File Explorer or Total Commander thumbnail view, only on the desktop. I think they work like the shortcut arrows. Maybe they replace the arrows.

I recently signed up as an Insider and currently using 161014. If there is a more appropriate forum please let me know.

Addendum: I just made a shortcut to a program rather than a subdirectory. It, too, has the white blob. So it is a replacement for the arrow.

:)

tcebob, Nov 7, 2016
  2. Ed1-US Win User

Is there any way to get the original icons to display again after the shortcuts are moved into a folder?

Original Title: Shortcut icons lost when moved into folder.

Often when I move shortcuts from the desktop into a newly created folder, the shortcuts lose their icons. The shortcuts are still fully functional when inside the folder, but they are just blank white rectangles.

Why does this happen? Is there any way to get the original icons to display again after the shortcuts are moved into a folder?

Ed1-US, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Blank file explorer icon.

Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop

Once in a while, the shortcut icons on the Windows desktop may suddenly been changed or became blank or ‘white paper’ icon, where supposedly the icons should be colorful and customized in style and color. It’s as if the icon for the shortcut has been removed
    or unassigned, and been replaced with default blank icon in white.

The bug happens whenever there is corruption in icon cache database. For example, in Windows 7 pre-RC release, a network connection or broadband connection shortcut’s icon placed on desktop by user manually will go haywire and turn into blank default icon if
    there is another third-party program places an icon on desktop later.

In order to fix the problem where shortcut icons turn to blank icon, try to refresh or rebuild the cache database for icons. There are many system management software utilities that may reset the icon cache db automatically, but here’s how to reset the icon
    cache db manually.

To refresh and reset the icons cache, go to the following folder:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\

To see the hidden AppData folder, go to Organize -> Folder and Search Options ->
    View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives, and uncheck
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Once inside the folder, delete IconCache.db. Create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to
    Read Only attribute in Properties (if the file is not read only, the cache won’t be reset). Then restart the computer. Remove the Read Only attribute of IconCache.db file, and the icons cache will be refreshed. The step will restore the desktop
    shortcut icons to their lawfully icons.

Reference: Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop « My Digital Life

Charivel Palisoc, Nov 7, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 7, 2016
  5. tcebob Win User
    Many thanks. I simply removed the string value (which pointed to WinaeroTweaker), restarted explorer, and the blobs are gone.

tcebob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons - Similar Threads - White folder overlays

2. Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.: ISSUE:Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents. I use an enormous number of shortcuts in the filing system I have created for my work, and I constantly need to have Dropbox on coordinate with my staff. Sometimes I resort to...
  3. Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.: ISSUE:Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents. I use an enormous number of shortcuts in the filing system I have created for my work, and I constantly need to have Dropbox on coordinate with my staff. Sometimes I resort to...
  4. Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays: Hi everyone, I am facing an issue with shortcuts icons and overlays. Basically when I refresh the desktop right click and refresh, the shortcut icons would refresh and reappear very quickly, but only the overlays the small arrow marks would delay to reappear by 1 second or...
  6. Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays

Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays: Hi everyone, I am facing an issue with shortcuts icons and overlays. Basically when I refresh the desktop right click and refresh, the shortcut icons would refresh and reappear very quickly, but only the overlays the small arrow marks would delay to reappear by 1 second or...
  7. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and sucked many hours of my time. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes (every few minutes) to a variety of icons, a small handful of some...
  8. Folder Icon color, Desktop Icons have paper overlay

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Icon color, Desktop Icons have paper overlay: I Have been having two problems and they appear to be related. 1. My Desktop Icons have what looks like a piece of paper on them. Not all but most. Seems like Shortcuts for .exe files don't have the paper. 2. My Folders in File Manager have lost the yellow color that they...
  9. White icon folders

White icon folders: To solve this: Go to this PC and locate local disc (C) , Right click on it, > Locate properties > Mark all items in Disk clean and then clean. After it will go back to normal.. Thanks 139700
  10. Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop: Hello, I recently purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and it has an odd issue which my old Windows 10 machine didn't... All the icons on the desktop (except the Recycle Bin) are showing shortcut overlays (little blue arrows on the lower-left corner of the icon) - whether...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desk top gone white and a copied item overlayed and dannot get rid of

2. white folder desktop