Windows 10: Why are winkey+x menus on two PCs different at same build number?

Discus and support Why are winkey+x menus on two PCs different at same build number? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just updated my tower and laptop Win10 PCs to the Creator's Update. Winver shows that the version and builds are identical, as "Win10 ver 1703 (OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mck, Jul 26, 2017.

1. MCK
    mck Win User

Why are winkey+x menus on two PCs different at same build number?

I just updated my tower and laptop Win10 PCs to the Creator's Update. Winver shows that the version and builds are identical, as "Win10 ver 1703 (OS Build 15l063.483)" ..... BUT the (win+X) menus are different! Why? #$*&!

My tower PC is a Dell XPS 8900, 64 bit. My laptop is an Acer Spin3, 64 bit. Both running Intel CPUs. The menu differences are:

Tower PC .............................................. Laptop
    - None ................................................... Mobility Center
    - Command Prompt ............................ Windows Power Shell
    - Command Prompt (admin) ............. Windows Power Shell (admin)
    - Shutdown or sign out ...................... None

Why are the Winkey+X menus different when the Win10 version and builds are identical?
    I can understand that the Laptop has "Mobility Center" but the Tower does not. But why doesn't the laptop have "Shutdown or sign out"?

Is there a shortcut to "Shutdown or sign out" that I can put in the laptop's Winkey+X menu? I've already added the "Control Panel" shortcut (Thanks Brink!) so I know the procedure. I just need the same "Shutdown or sign out" shortcut that the tower PC has. Reason is that the behavior of the "Shutdown or sign out" shortcut in my tower PC is different than the Shutdown shortcut that is commonly put on the desktop, which I already have on both the tower and laptop PCs.

Thanks.

:)

2. PhaniKD Win User

Power Off options in Windows 10

What is the difference between "Win X Menu Shutdown(Start Menu right click)" to "Shutdown from Start Menu(Start Menu -> Power -> Shutdown". Why Microsoft has chosen to keep two ways of same functionality as both will use same number of Clicks to perform
    any operation.

PhaniKD, Jul 26, 2017
  3. I updated windows 10 today and now I am having problems. for instance, when I press the start button nothing happens. what can I do?

It didn't open as Administrator

Press Winkey - verify if start menu opens

Press Winkey + X + A - verify if you see PowerShell (Admin) in menu

Smittychat., Jul 26, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Don't know about the first and last on your list but the 2 Command Prompt/PowerShell items can be changed one for the other. I believe there's a Tutorial on this Forum about how to do that.

Berton, Jul 27, 2017
  5. MCK
    mck Win User
    I was wondering if the powershell was the same thing as the command prompt, except background being blue instead of black. I'll do a search for them and check it out.
    Thanks for the tip!

6. Berton Win User
    You're welcome. PowerShell is reputed to be more powerful that the traditional Command Prompt. I have noticed that one can create a shortcut to Command Prompt and in its Properties customize how it looks. I prefer blue background with yellow text. It sometimes translates the same on the Win+X shortcut. I left the PowerShell change alone but also have a Command Prompt shortcut on my Taskbar.

Berton, Jul 27, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes, far more powerful, but it's a steep learning curve as the commands and syntax can be quite different.

You can choose the fonts and colors for both the Powershell and Command Prompt windows, just right-click on its title bar and select Properties. The changes you make here will be applied immediately and will remain that way for the next time you use them.

Powershell or Command Prompt on Win+X has always been an option in Settings, the only thing that changed in 1703 was the default initial choice. The switch to change it is in Settings > Personalization > Taskbar. This is the tutorial...
    Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10

8. MCK
    mck Win User

Bree,

Thanks for this valuable data. I changed the powershells back to the command prompts that I'm used to.

Now if someone can tell me how to add the "Shutdown or signout" shortcut to the Win+X menu, I'll be as happy as a pig in you know what *Smile.

All the best,

9. kimkl Win User
    its in the power settings menu in control panel, just click the balanced you should see an option that says click here to view hidden or what ever

kimkl, Jul 28, 2017
  10. MCK
    mck Win User
    Hi kimkl,
    I went to Control Panel > Power Options.
    "Balanced (recommended)" was already ticked.
    Clicked "Change plan settings" for Balanced.
    I don't see any way to put "Shut down or sign out" into the Win+X menu.

Could you explain further?
    Thanks.

Thema:

1. Why are winkey+x menus on two PCs different at same build number? - Similar Threads - Why are winkey+x

2. Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.: Hi, Very simple question I have a PC which is a 3 year old PC as a “hand me down” scenario. The old account from the previous user who is a family member is still on the computer and did not remove it before giving it to me. I don’t use this one as I use my own. When using...
  3. Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.: Hi, Very simple question I have a PC which is a 3 year old PC as a “hand me down” scenario. The old account from the previous user who is a family member is still on the computer and did not remove it before giving it to me. I don’t use this one as I use my own. When using...
  4. Two disk volumes in different PC's has the same serial number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two disk volumes in different PC's has the same serial number: Hello...How is it possible 2 volume drives in different PC's has the same serial numbers?I developed a software that uses that information to generate license data. I detected a conflict somewhere and by investigating, I have discovered that 2 PCs, with only one volume each,...
  5. Two disk volumes in different PC's has the same serial number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two disk volumes in different PC's has the same serial number: Hello...How is it possible 2 volume drives in different PC's has the same serial numbers?I developed a software that uses that information to generate license data. I detected a conflict somewhere and by investigating, I have discovered that 2 PCs, with only one volume each,...
  6. Two disk volumes in different PC's has the same serial number

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Two PCs but two different internet speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two PCs but two different internet speeds: I get on about 450Mbps on my several Dell Windows 10 PCs. However, one of my Dell PCs is running Windows 7. The speed on it is about 8Mbps. All of the PCs are networked via Cat5 cables. My iPhones see about 100Mbps wireless of course.So is it Windows 7 that causes the...
  8. Stuttering and Hitching on two different PCs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuttering and Hitching on two different PCs: So this is particularly prevalent in games, there’s an intermittent stutter like a dropped frame or two, it’s driving me mad - what’s worse is I’m encountering it on two different rigs.1st rig: Ryzen 5 5600X, 16GB 3000MHz, 3060Ti 8GB, NVME SSD2nd rig: Ryzen 9 5800H, 16GB...
  9. difference in windows build numbers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    difference in windows build numbers: will my game run perfectly if the build number of my windows is not as per the game specifications? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-in-windows-build-numbers/359b56b1-5449-4591-9837-3a4375937f46
  10. Same product key on two PCs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Same product key on two PCs: Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I had no control over which...