Windows 10: Why do my file type icons keep getting changed?

Discus and support Why do my file type icons keep getting changed? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have .mp3 files and I have .FLAC music files. I have different file icons for each file type so I can easily distinguish between the 2 of them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rickteser, May 14, 2020.

1. Rickteser Win User

Why do my file type icons keep getting changed?

I have .mp3 files and I have .FLAC music files. I have different file icons for each file type so I can easily distinguish between the 2 of them without looking at the file extensions. It seems like every few months Microsoft does an update and changes the icon of the file icons to the same icon. It's one that I do not want for either file type. Any way that I can keep this from happening?

:)

Rickteser, May 14, 2020

2. Custom File Icons?

I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing?

If so, then ideally I'd like to extract the icon from the exe, make three slightly different versions, and make these display (at all scales) for the three main file types. Any suggestions for tools to do this? I have Photoshop CS5.

nigelmercier, May 14, 2020
  3. Snook PoP Win User
    Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to medium, large, or extra large icons and gives a thumbnail preview of the file contents.

Examples of the same files in the same folder below.

Why do my file type icons keep getting changed? [​IMG]

Notice how in the thumbnail preview all the file type icons are red and in the detailed list view the .skb file icons are black and the regular .skp files are red, like I want them.

In this particular folder it does not matter, just an example. But when navigating through other folders that contain many image files as well as the .skb & .skp files it can be confusing to tell which is which and I don't want to edit the wrong one. The thumbnail preview can be very helpful so I am trying to avoid changing the folder views.

If anyone has an idea of how to change that icon in the thumbnail view it would save me a lot of time and confusion, thanks in advance.

Snook PoP, May 14, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Thema:

1. Why do my file type icons keep getting changed? - Similar Threads - Why file type

2. Why do my Icon keep changing on my desk top

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do my Icon keep changing on my desk top: I am Having issues with my icons changing in sizes, it started about 2 weeks ago.I have gone though all my Display settings an nothing that i try is working. I have tried Icon Viewer App to try an see if that will work. Nope.I have gone in to the properties folder on all the...
  3. Why do my Icon keep changing on my desk top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my Icon keep changing on my desk top: I am Having issues with my icons changing in sizes, it started about 2 weeks ago.I have gone though all my Display settings an nothing that i try is working. I have tried Icon Viewer App to try an see if that will work. Nope.I have gone in to the properties folder on all the...
  4. Why do my Icon keep changing on my desk top

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why do i keep getting corrupted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do i keep getting corrupted files?: Hello,I got since while ago corrupted files error, i did a sfc and it said “found corrupted files, details are included in the CBS log file..etcSo i tried every single method to solve that without having to reset my pc and delete everything.But none of the methodes worked and...
  6. Why do i keep getting corrupted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do i keep getting corrupted files?: Hello,I got since while ago corrupted files error, i did a sfc and it said “found corrupted files, details are included in the CBS log file..etcSo i tried every single method to solve that without having to reset my pc and delete everything.But none of the methodes worked and...
  7. Change Icon By File Type (not by Application)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Icon By File Type (not by Application): This is the scenario. I have a music collection that I want all my music files to be played in the same player. I want to be able to look at a file and tell if it is an MP3 or a WAV or a MP4 or an OGG by looking at the ICON (Yes I know I can enable windows to show...
  8. How do I permanently change icons for file types?

How do I permanently change icons for file types?: I was using FileTypesMan, but it seems to revert to default settings every time I restart the computer. 14432
  9. Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview: I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to...
  10. Why do my files keep getting corrupt?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why do my files keep getting corrupt?: So every couple of months I seem to have a problem... Something acting a bit weird, or my whole computer is amazingly slow, etc.. So I usually go for chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow Now when running sfc, I ALWAYS seem to have some corrupt files? Now all I really do is...