Windows 10: Why does one HDD show more properties info than another?

Discus and support Why does one HDD show more properties info than another? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I do a "Properties" on my J: HDD it shows "Used space", "Free space" and "Capacity" for this HDD. [img] When I do the same for my F: HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by louwin, Jan 15, 2016.

1. louwin Win User

Why does one HDD show more properties info than another?

When I do a "Properties" on my J: HDD it shows "Used space", "Free space" and "Capacity" for this HDD.

Why does one HDD show more properties info than another? [​IMG]

When I do the same for my F: HDD it shows ZERO for all three. See above.

BOTH drives are NTFS. Also when I do properties on a folder on J: it shows "Advanced" properties and I can encrypt the folder. Again when I do the same on a folder on F: it doesn't show "Advanced" properties and I can't encrypt the folder?

Why is this and how can I make disc F: behave like disc J:?

Thanks in Anticipation....

PS I'm on the latest update of Windows 10 Pro on a 64bit desktop.

:)

louwin, Jan 15, 2016

2. Why does window 10 allow you to have more than one program open at a time, then do open but when you try to switch you can't

Is there someone in the community who can answer this problem?

Is there someone who knows someone who can correct this problem?

StevevetS1951, Jan 15, 2016
  3. Why does window 10 allow you to have more than one program open at a time, then do open but when you try to switch you can't

"I click on the icon on the task bar the program appears and I click on it as soon as I move the cursor to the program it disappears from sight."

Hi Larry,

Been busy rearing two kittens....I cannot recreate what you describe. If I have 4 programs open and if I minimize all of those, when I click on the taskbar icon to get a window up on the desktop, it maximizes the window I want. I've minimized, then maximized
    that window or program.

It's when I point to the icon or just lay the cursor over the icon without clicking, then I get the thumbnail images of the open window for any program or web browser. If I'm using Internet Explorer and if I have 4 or 5 webpages open as tabs, I can point
    to the Internet Explorer icon and the thumbnail images for those 4 or 5 webpages pop up over the icon.

With Windows 10, I can click on the task view icon and all your open programs will be shown as very large icons right on the desktop. If you don't see this icon, right click on an empty spot on the taskbar and click on Show Task View Button.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Brenda

Brenda Woollard, Jan 15, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  5. AndreyT Win User
    Is there any difference in security permissions for these two drives? I.e. could it be that somehow the existing set of permissions for drive F: prevents the current user from obtaining the stats?

AndreyT, Jan 15, 2016
  6. louwin Win User
    Granted the previous properties snapshots were from File Explorer but I'm not sure what more information can be gleaned from Disk Management snapshots? Anyway, I have redone them through DM (they look exactly the same BTW) as below....

As to permissions.... I am the ONLY User (and Administrator) of the system so I expect I will have complete access to ALL information on ALL drives? I will "play" with permissions and see if there are any developments?

Apart from one dynamic drive I played with (software RAID mirror) all the other drives were setup exactly the same.

Thank You for your replies *Smile

louwin, Jan 16, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would copy all the files off of it to another location, delete all the partitions (looks like only one), and create a new partition. I prefer to use MiniTool Partition Wizard over Windows Disk Management. If you don't need file permissions set you might even try just converting the partition to FAT32 and then back to NTFS using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    with that size disk (> 2TB) it's best to use GPT anyway.

So assuming there's no data on that hdd use the following commands (as administrator from the cmd prompt :

SELECT DISK disk nn where nn is the number of your disk which has the properties problem
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
    CONVERT GPT
    EXIT .

I think you'll now find HDD works fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 16, 2016
  9. louwin Win User
    Thanks for your replies *Smile

I am using this disc as a backup for another and I have JUST copied 1.6Tb to it. I was hoping for a more friendly recovery solution. The data on it is fully accessible and I "sync" the other drive to it regularly.

The drive it replaced has gone back to Western Digital to be replaced under warranty so I will format THAT and copy this to THAT when it arrives in a week or so (I HOPE). In the meantime it's accessible so is serving its' purpose *Biggrin

I hope the problem doesn't repeat itself with the new drives? I will check before I copy ALL my data to it. I will try to encrypt the folder BEFORE copying into it.

Thank you all for your replies *Biggrin

louwin, Jan 17, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Can you open Disk Management again, Click on View->Top->Disk List
    I have seen cases that a large HD (> 2TB) being initialized as MBR disk and this is wrong.
    Look at the Partition Style column and make sure that your disk 6 (F: drive) is a GPT disk
    See screen shot;

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2016
  11. louwin Win User
    Did as you suggested and can't tell which disc is which as there were NO Volumes IDs or names as they are disks 0 to 9 but ALL the discs were/are GPT except for the Bluray.

I worked out (and you said so too) it is Disk 6 which is Basic 2794.39GB 1MB Online RAID GPT. The RAID part surprised me though as it isn't one of my RAID drives!? My RAID drives are ALL 4Tb (or 3925.90GB as displayed).

This whole problem has me puzzled though. It (DM) also says one of my drives is missing when it was removed months ago????

louwin, Jan 17, 2016
  12. topgundcp Win User
    It should be set as GPT only. Double check your BIOS and see if you have it set as RAID on this port instead of Sata.

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2016
  13. louwin Win User

Hi topgundcp,

Looked in my BIOS. It has 6 Intel HDD interfaces. From what I can see they can be set for RAID or SATA but one setting rules ALL SIX ports. Four ports are normally RAID (for my two RAID mirrors) so the setting has to be RAID which means the other ports have to be RAID too *Sad

This wasn't a problem under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 *Smile Is it just a problem under Windows 10?

Thanks for your reply *Biggrin

louwin, Jan 18, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    You probably have to use CRTL-I at boot time to get into RAID Setup and reset Disk 6 to non RAID. When you setup RAID 0 or RAID 1, the HD's have to be in pair.

topgundcp, Jan 18, 2016
  15. louwin Win User
    Yes, I know about RAID mirrors. *Smile

I have two at the moment but I always hoped to have three eventually. I usually do my maintenance through IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) interface. In IRST (AFAIK) there is no way to "set" whether a drive is RAID or non RAID. IRST determines this by itself depending on whether a RAID set involves each drive. In fact, in the CTRL/I summary on boot, Disk 6 IS identified as non RAID.

As I said, I haven't done a CTRL/I in years (over 5) but, the next time I switch on I will try it. I may be wrong (and more likely I am) but I doubt CTRL/I will allow the User to determine the RAID status of a drive!? I would expect it to make its' own mind up. I can imagine a User trying to tell CTRL/I that a disc in a RAID set is not RAID???? What would happen THEN? *Rolleyes *Tongue

Thanks for your response *Biggrin

louwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does one HDD show more properties info than another? - Similar Threads - Why does HDD

2. Why does it show 'you need more than one picture to show in your slideshow' even though i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does it show 'you need more than one picture to show in your slideshow' even though i...: Why does it show 'you need more than one picture to show in your slideshow' even though i uploaded a whole folder with seven photos? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-it-show-you-need-more-than-one-picture-to/7f48e219-6e1b-4a16-bf65-ef28ea243540
  3. Why does it show 'you need more than one picture to show in your slideshow' even though i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does it show 'you need more than one picture to show in your slideshow' even though i...: Why does it show 'you need more than one picture to show in your slideshow' even though i uploaded a whole folder with seven photos? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-it-show-you-need-more-than-one-picture-to/7f48e219-6e1b-4a16-bf65-ef28ea243540
  4. Why does does my storage say it is more full than it is?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does does my storage say it is more full than it is?: My computer has 433 GB total. Currently, when I check my storage, it says I have 25 GB left. After adding up all of my installed apps, temp files, other profiles, documents, etc. I arrived at a total of just over 373 GB taken up, meaning I should have about 60 GB left. I am...
  5. Why does does my storage say it is more full than it is?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does does my storage say it is more full than it is?: My computer has 433 GB total. Currently, when I check my storage, it says I have 25 GB left. After adding up all of my installed apps, temp files, other profiles, documents, etc. I arrived at a total of just over 373 GB taken up, meaning I should have about 60 GB left. I am...
  6. more than one MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    more than one MBR: My OS disk boots from start on in XP. Still need that OS as my UMAX 2200 scanner is only fully supported by XP drivers. Later on bought W7 ultimate and installed it as multiboot. EasyBCD does the trick. No problem. Runs both. Had to upgrade to W10. As W10 tells me how to run...
  7. does this protection protect more than one computer/laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    does this protection protect more than one computer/laptop: does this protection I received with my laptop protect other devices in my home' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-this-protection-protect-more-than-one/413d0261-997e-44e7-ab2d-3600e2098f6a
  8. One license for more than one versions.

One license for more than one versions.: I got a laptop with pre installedWin 10 pro Education. It is about two weeks ago I went to perform factory restore for my DELL laptop So when I run the OS recovery tool of DELL It gave me an option to download Windows 10 Professional . As my Factory restore image I got...
  9. Updates showing as installed more than one time

Updates showing as installed more than one time: This is probably nothing but have had problems with updates in the past and am more aware when something seems odd. When checking latest installed updates, I see KB4483234 being installed successfully two times on 21 December. Is that just a glitch in the reporting or...
  10. Does "Updates from more than one place" work?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does "Updates from more than one place" work?: Has anyone ever done a bandwidth analysis or comparison that demonstrated that a group of computers updated by sharing update packages instead of downloading complete packages for each computer? Is there any known command to tell a computer to look for updates on another...