Windows 10: Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

Discus and support Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few weeks ago I came back to my PC (Dell Inspiron 580 latest Windows 10) to find instead of my usual cluttered desktop with all my files I had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by woldsweather, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

A few weeks ago I came back to my PC (Dell Inspiron 580 latest Windows 10) to find instead of my usual cluttered desktop with all my files I had a blank screen and windows had set all the settings to default (my IE 11 replaced by edge and so on). Fortunately there was a system restore and was able to roll back to my normal set up Now it has done it again but there is no system restore point ( I have never understood why these aren't just created regularly automatically. The old one om 2/3 weeks ago should surely still been there? Is there any way o 'finding' a system restore point o roll back before I spend hours setting it all up again ?

:)

woldsweather, Sep 3, 2017

2. why does windows 10 upgrade almost daily reboot and reinstall itself???

why does windows 10 upgrade almost daily reboot and reinstall itself???

ThomasLange3, Sep 3, 2017
  3. Billt4G Win User
    microsoft treasure hunt

Very annoying! Why does this game reset itself? I start up the game expecting it to be how I left it. And most times it is, however sometimes, for no apparent reason, I find it reset to level 1 with all totals set to default settings. ie Max hearts-3 pickaxe-2
    dyn-2 maps-2, So I lose all my successful upgrades!

Why is this happening??

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Billt4G, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

Just to answer my own question it seems windows had restarted in some other 'blank' account. When I went into safe mode it booted to my account which made me realise this. When I rebooted to normal it stayed in my account. I have still never figured out how to automatically create restore point. eg daily on start up and delete old ones at the same time would be perfect.

woldsweather, Sep 3, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Check this thread which is describing how to crate restore point via task scheduler:

create-restore-point-using-task-scheduler-windows-10-home

You can do it via cmd too, but since you want to run it daily...

Found powershell script on superuser... check answer 1 in that post
    Goto an administrator command prompt and type powershell. A window will pop open. Just go to the path of the file and type ./createcheckpoint.ps1 and it will create the restore point.

AndreTen, Sep 4, 2017
  6. woldsweather, Sep 4, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry, don't understand what you're trying to say...

Link to post on Superuser site basically says:
    - create powershell scrip (type in Notepad and save file as .ps1)
    -if you want to schedule it for daily use, make another file (.bat), in which you call ps1 script.

There is another option, which is used here by many users. Instead of Windows restore, install Macrium reflect (free version is more than enough) and schedule daily image for your system. First Image will be large, but after that only changes are backed up.

Macrium Imaging is far more reliable and faster to apply. Here are tutorials made by Kari: backup-restore-macrium-reflect

AndreTen, Sep 4, 2017
  8. Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

This website isn't allowing me to reply I type in and it corrupts the words.

Seems to work OK in this box. I tried the system of scheduling a restore but gave up when it needed me to have a password on my pc which I don't want.

woldsweather, Sep 4, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Also check the post above (about using Macrium). It's a great software, used by many here.

AndreTen, Sep 4, 2017
  10. So where I have my WIndows on a 120 GB SSD and data on a 2Tb HD do you back up the C drive to the larger HD? There wouldn't be room on the C drive.

11. AndreTen Win User
    At what step do you need to use a password? You have to schedule with administrator rights (elevated), but if you have administrator account without password, it should work. Not, that it is recommended ...

AndreTen, Sep 4, 2017
  12. AndreTen Win User
    The best option is to backup on external drive. But backing up to any HD will be good.

AndreTen, Sep 4, 2017
  13. Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

In the lengthy instruction I followed having to have a password came up right at the end so I abandoned the idea. I have made a shortcut to create a system restore point and pinned it to the taskbar so will do it weekly from there when I run ccleaner virus checks etc.

14. AndreTen Win User
    OK. Let us know, if it works well *Thumbs

Edit: I realized that there are multiple tutorials here on tenforums (google didn't show them in my search...)

www.tenforums.com | create-system-restore-point-shortcut-windows-10

www.tenforums.com | automatically-create-system-restore-point-schedule-windows-10 - this one demands to have password for admin acount

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

1. Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself - Similar Threads - Why does appear

2. Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?: It's my computer not yours. This is why people hate microsoft, they just sell your data to advertising. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-teams-keep-reinstalling-itself/b7714d58-0e5b-44ac-9f16-85608c405a84
  3. Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?: It's my computer not yours. This is why people hate microsoft, they just sell your data to advertising. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-teams-keep-reinstalling-itself/b7714d58-0e5b-44ac-9f16-85608c405a84
  4. Why does steam setup close itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does steam setup close itself: So i deleted steam some time ago and tryed to re install it now, but when the setup opens it closes itself a second later, not even progressing quickly works, what should i do?...
  5. complete and total reset.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    complete and total reset.: I started my ASUS laptop last night to research something and noticed my default browser had been changed. I started to look at different things and noticed all files, documents, pictures, videos etc were no longer on my computer that I could see. It looked like an unused...
  6. Why does game not appear?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does game not appear?: Downloaded the free version of Microsoft Solitaire Collection. Cannot find it to play. When I go to the Start window and click on it, it opens for a flash, then goes away. I have checked the Task Manager, and it's not there. Using Windows 10 Home. Any ideas? Microsoft says I...
  7. Windows 10 partially reinstalls itself and then stops after resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 partially reinstalls itself and then stops after resetting: I have a hp pavalon laptop that i reset because it was running slow, and I wanted to purge my files because of limited storage. Reseting was the last thing I hadn’t tried. So I reset it and it was doing its thing until it got to the point were windows 10 re-installed itself....
  8. Windows reset itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows reset itself: Hi, When I turn on my laptop, it started up like it never been run before. Something like a factory reset. And all my files were gone. Why is that? please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-reset-itself/63f34bcb-c125-4a8b-9386-c2daff540d87
  9. Before a total Reinstall

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Before a total Reinstall: Hi, Mum cannot login to her laptop !!! I upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro 64 bit as part of the free Win 10 rollout 2 years ago, creating an admin account for Mum. There is also a standard account for her daughter. Sure enough when I checked it, the known password...
  10. Windows reinstalling itself by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows reinstalling itself by itself: I just received the following note from one of my customers who is better then the average PC user. (As you may be able to tell) Anyone heard of this? Pete -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ... HAVE YOU...