Windows 10: Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10

Discus and support Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 How to Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ma3ino, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ma3ino Win User

Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10

How to: Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10

How to Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10

system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you Restoring wont affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

This tutorial will show you how to create an elevated task to automatically create a system restore point on schedule in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator with a password to be able to create the elevated task in Task Scheduler.

*note System protection must be turned on for your Windows drive (ex: C: ) for this task to work.

You must have UAC set to its default setting for this task to work.

Here's How:

1. If you haven't already, you will need to change the SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency DWORD value to 0 in Registry Editor for this task to work properly.
    *Arrow How to Change System Restore Point Creation Frequency in Windows 10
    2. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type taskschd.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

3. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. In the Create Task wizard: (see screenshot below)
    A) Click/tap on the General tab.

B) Type a Name (ex: "Create Restore Point on Schedule") you want for this task.

C) Select (dot) Run whether user is logged on or not.

D) Check the Run with highest privileges box.

E) Select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down menu.

5. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

6. Select On a schedule in the Begin the task drop down menu, select a Daily, Weekly, or Monthly schedule you want, fill out the settings you want for the schedule, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

7. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

8. In the New Action wizard: (see screenshot below)
    A) Select Start a program in the Action drop down menu.

B) Type powershell.exe in the Program/script field.

C) Copy and paste the command below into the Add arguments field.

Code:
    D) Click/tap on OK.

9. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, and uncheck the Start the task only if the computer is on AC power box. (see screenshot below)

10. Click/tap on the Settings tab, and check the Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. Enter your account's password, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

12. You will now see this new task (ex: "Create Restore Point on Schedule") listed in the Task Scheduler Library. You can now close Task Scheduler if you like. (see screenshot below)

*note You can right click on this task (ex: "Create Restore Point on Schedule"), click/tap on Delete, and click/tap on Yes to approve to remove this task and no longer automatically create a restore point on schedule.

13. A new restore point named Automatic Restore Point will now automatically be created on the schedule you set. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ma3ino, Sep 27, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Time Lady, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ma3ino, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The restore points created by the task will all remain saved until you reach your set maximum storage size in system protection. At this point, older restore points will automatically be deleted to create free space for the next new restore point.

It just depends on if you need to have a restore point created on a specified schedule or not.

Brink, Sep 27, 2016
  5. RS06 Win User
    Hello Shawn,

I want to share an experience with a problem that I faced with this task scheduling, which may help someone who might have faced a similar problem.

I tried the task scheduling as you've said and I don't know what happened or what I did wrong but instead of the task creating a restore point (RP), it messed up my System Volume Information (SVI) folder's ownership, leading to not only the RP not getting created, but also making me unable to create one manually from System Protection, which showed - "Access denied", along with the bonus of deleting (or at least making them no more accessible) the existing RPs. Still, the task, as far as I can recall, showed as completed successfully in the Scheduler's history.

After I successfully reset the ownership for SVI to the Administrators and permissions to SYSTEM, I could at least do the manual RP creation. Then I changed the account that's used to run the task to SYSTEM, as I've used previously too for other such permissions-hungry tasks. And the task worked flawlessly.

So, what I understood from this is that probably because by default only SYSTEM (& Administrators too, I think) have read/write permissions for the SVI folder, where the RPs are stored, it's only the SYSTEM account that can do a scheduled creation.
    ^ I'm not sure if it's a correct conclusion, but it worked for me, so maybe it may help someone else too.

One quick question: Is there a way to understand and manipulate the default RP creation scheduling done by System Protection? As in, I never quite understood when the System Protection chose to create RPs. It'd created one a couple of days ago, but when it'd choose to create another is unknown to me. The system's task in System Restore folder in the Scheduler shows no triggers in the Triggers tab, but it did create an RP, so there must be some trigger, whose frequency if I could manage, I won't at all need a new task to be created to accomplish this.

Thank you for the tutorial Brink and for the infinitely more that you've written (following them since Vista, shamelessly thanking for the first time). Brink, man, you're awesome. Period *Smile

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello RS06, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The task wouldn't change permissions of anything. Instead, it runs the task with Run with highest privileges for elevated rights using the credentials of the administrator account you entered.

Did you do anything else that may have changed the permissions? Take ownership?

Brink, Oct 28, 2016
  7. RS06 Win User
    Oh. So the task didn't do it, then. As far as I can recall, I didn't fiddle with the SVI permissions or do anything that might've interfered, until I faced this issue. I did use Run with highest privileges too earlier. The last thing I think I did before running that task was to try creating a manual RP, which worked fine. After the task ran, I was denied access.

So, I don't think I did anything else that might've caused this, but I may have forgot doing something else. What I might try is running it again with user account and see if it works. Will post the result.

Thanks for the reply!

8. RS06 Win User

Okay, I checked with the user account instead of SYSTEM. It worked fine! I might've done something else that must've caused it then. Embarrassing. Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 :p Might as well delete the post then.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The posts are fine since it may help some one if they come across the same issue.

I'm glad it's working as intended now for you. *Smile

Brink, Oct 28, 2016
  10. RS06 Win User
    Yeah, you're right.

Thanks for your help!

11. MEH
    meh Win User
    I've always set my scheduled task to run under the System account. Works fine.

12. Thanks, Shawn,

As for the item 11 in your tutorial which is related to the password. Since I never use a password to login into my computer I found a way for this task to not ask for a password. In the General Tab under Security Options, I've changed the User from my account to System. After done that I was able to create the task without any password. Is that ok?

JohnnyR2D2, Dec 2, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

That's great news Johnny. Thank you for sharing. Welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If it's working for you, then it'll be safe and fine to use like that.

Brink, Dec 2, 2016
  14. MEH
    meh Win User
    I suggested using the System account 2 weeks ago, and wasn't lying when I said it works fine.

15. Awesome thread ...

1a) Backup Registry
    1b) Download your Registry addon

I will say that I needed this info as my system died Dec 9th.

Nothing worked.

System would boot up and then hang - with a dialogue box that Windows had crashed!

Why?????

System Restore failed.
    System Reset failed.

Then upon a 3rd system reset it started undoing the changes. Thank God - I did not want to reset to Windows 7 and then start the long arduous journey of migrating to 10.

The next morning Dec 10th - I turned on the laptop and was greeted with the standard Windows 10 login and I logged in.

Ok - everything worked. The PC was purring!

Suspiciously I looked at the Windows update and noted a critical update on Dec 10th @5:00 am.

Could my nightmare have started with a bad patch? And end with a good one?

Sufficed to say I started looking for an automated system restore create and found yours.

Kudos!!

shamrockoz, Dec 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Automatically Create System

2. How to create scheduled system restore points?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create scheduled system restore points?: No matter what I do, system restores points always disappear. Even those that happened recently.1- I want to schedule it every month and never gets deleted.I do give it all data needed... I have it set as maximum hard-drive space....
  3. How to create scheduled system restore points?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create scheduled system restore points?: No matter what I do, system restores points always disappear. Even those that happened recently.1- I want to schedule it every month and never gets deleted.I do give it all data needed... I have it set as maximum hard-drive space....
  4. How to create scheduled system restore points?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. System Restore Points Schedule

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Points Schedule: Hi!I recently posted a question regarding a BSOD that surprisngly I can't get out of...What I found amusing after failing to restore the computer since I don't have restore points, I had a burst of questions and doubts regarding system Restore Points:What is the default...
  6. Unable to Create Restore Point on Schedule

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Create Restore Point on Schedule: How do I create a "Create Restore Point on Schedule" when I don't have a password? I used to have a schedule that worked until I upgraded to 2004. Thanks for any help! 159252
  7. Automatic System Restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Automatic System Restore points not being created: Did a Google search and did all the recommended fixes. Nothing. (Windows 10 Version 1809 - OS Build 17763.1039) 151119
  8. Creating restore points on a schedule?

Creating restore points on a schedule?: Is there a way to get Win 10 to create system restore points on a schedule (e.g. once a day)? 117236
  9. Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created

Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created: I followed the instruction to manually create a Manual Restore Point and that works fine. Then I decided to set up the task in the Task Scheduler to automatically create a restore point once daily. For some reason the task is started as it should but it never completes and I...
  10. Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10 How to Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10 system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if...