Windows 10: Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue?

Discus and support Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I suddenly noticed yesterday that the look of my Cortana home window has changed. When I click on the white circle icon in the taskbar, what used to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DaveH1, Mar 23, 2019.

1. DaveH1 Win User

Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue?

I suddenly noticed yesterday that the look of my Cortana home window has changed.
    When I click on the white circle icon in the taskbar, what used to pop up was a window (now wider since the 1809 update) showing a row of blue option icons, and beneath that a list of my action history and suggestions.
    Now it's reverted to just a basic search dialogue with "Search for apps, files, web results and more" above a row of eight buttons for particular search types.
    I have no idea why this has happened, as I haven't knowingly changed anything.
    I have checked all the relevant settings (I hope), and they all seem to be as they should be.
    Anyone any ideas? I have searched of course, but found nothing to explain this or how to revert it back to how it was before. Everything else seems to be working fine, including the Task View option, which is still showing my action history fine. Cortana is still responding to voice commands and doing what it should in that respect, it's just the Home screen which is wrong.
    Cheers, Dave.
    *Smile

:)

DaveH1, Mar 23, 2019
  2. Try0x101 Win User

Cortana search filter list

I have a lot of space for display content in Cortana search list, and 80% of it not used because Cortana sorting items by types.
    How disable all filters and make visible all suggested content?

Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue? [​IMG]

Try0x101, Mar 23, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    How to get rid of all the tips and cortana garbage on search toolbar?

Hi, I don't have anything like that appearing as i've never configured more than the most basic Cortana settings.

Try Notebook (icon left on Cortana), Lists - clear those.

Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue? [​IMG]

Likewise, check for any Reminders

- you've shown the search field for Cortana at the bottom of your screenshots.

(And remember there's one top right of file explorer too).

Try this:
    Turn On or Off Cortana Suggested Reminders in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Windows 10 Help Forums

dalchina, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue?

Search without Cortana

Hi,

The search function on Cortana showing both local and online suggestions is designed to help users to gain full access to all the possible search results. If you're trying to search for a local file without picking up online suggestions, we recommend that
    you use the filter option to refine the search. Here are the steps on how to set the filter:

• Type the word that you're trying to search.
    • Select the appropriate filter for the desired result.

Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue? 8f635b1a-87cb-478c-89d6-f384502ffef7.png
    • Wait for the list to load and click the desired search result.

Basic searches like, function, settings, and location doesn't require filter. In addition, you can click the drop-down arrow for
    Filters to view other filter type.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue?

1. Why has my Cortana Home window reverted to a basic search dialogue? - Similar Threads - Why has Cortana

2. Will my windows 10 revert to windows home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will my windows 10 revert to windows home: I have laptop that comes with windows 10 home and i bought a windows 10 pro license to install it into my laptop I am planning to buy a new laptop and transfer my windows 10 pro license to my new laptop . will my old laptop revert back to windows 10 home?...
  3. Will my windows 10 revert to windows home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will my windows 10 revert to windows home: I have laptop that comes with windows 10 home and i bought a windows 10 pro license to install it into my laptop I am planning to buy a new laptop and transfer my windows 10 pro license to my new laptop . will my old laptop revert back to windows 10 home?...
  4. Will my windows 10 revert to windows home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why the search box and cortana is not working?

in Cortana
    Why the search box and cortana is not working?: The problem is occurred whenever I click on search box to write anything .It doesn't do any operation. And I click on cortana it shows the talk to cortana but it does not display anything to talk .This is the problem. I tried so many things but no one is not work. please help...
  6. Why has Cortana's voice changed?

in Cortana
    Why has Cortana's voice changed?: Today I wanted to talk to Cortana, but I saw that Cortana's voice has changed! I really liked Cortana's previous voice, but this one does not speak to me at all Sorry if there was a problem with my writing Ah, I am Iranian and I translate my words I'm confused...
  7. Why has windows 10 reverted to windows 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why has windows 10 reverted to windows 7?: I can see that this has happened for people years ago, but is it still happening and if so, why? Any advice gratefully received! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-windows-10-reverted-to-windows-7/61dd6b90-29c5-4bee-9ff7-684cfe69d2e5
  8. Revert to Windows Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Revert to Windows Home: I inherited a Dell laptop from my mother that runs Windows 10. She would take it into a retail computer geek space when it needed "fixing." For some reason they put a 90 day key for Professional on the machine. I'm guessing to do the work needed. They did not remove the key...
  9. Can’t type in Windows 10 apps, Search Box, Dialogue Boxes, Cortana, etc.

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t type in Windows 10 apps, Search Box, Dialogue Boxes, Cortana, etc.: [ATTACH] It so happened to me that when typing inside Cortana, Windows 10 apps, Taskbar, Search Bar, and so on, everything was invisible. At first, I thought that there was something wrong with my keyboard, but then it turned out to be [...] This post Can’t type in Windows...
  10. has audio but no dialogue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    has audio but no dialogue: Since upgrading to Windows 10, I found that when playing a video there's no voice/dialogue, same problem with web video in browsers (such as those on Youtube). Otherwise I can hear music and beeps ok, but dialogue is missing. So I check under Device Manager, HD Definition...