Windows 10: Why is my dwm.exe taking up 50% of the GPU on my Surface Book 2?

Discus and support Why is my dwm.exe taking up 50% of the GPU on my Surface Book 2? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I regularly get these weird spikes where 50% of my gpu is getting hogged by the dwm.exe and the rest is getting hogged by firefox or chrome. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DavidAFrench, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Why is my dwm.exe taking up 50% of the GPU on my Surface Book 2?

I regularly get these weird spikes where 50% of my gpu is getting hogged by the dwm.exe and the rest is getting hogged by firefox or chrome. It's bizarre. It's so bad I can barely use my computer. This thing is supposed to be snappy but it's just giving me a ton of trouble! Any clues on what the issue might be?

I have admittedly patched my computer so that I can load 3rd party themes, which is not supported behavior by MS but that shouldn't be causing this, as this is just a registry hack and doesn't add any additional processes to the programs. So yeah? what's the issue? How can I further explore or diagnose this issue? Is it possible to somehow parse dwm.exe and see what is making it chug so much?

:)

DavidAFrench, Nov 20, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

New Update for Surface Book 2 on Windows 10 April 2018 v1803 - May 9

Source: Update for Surface Book 2 (09 May 2018) Surface

See also: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4055398

Brink, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Surface Book 2 now available

Source: 5 reasons you'll love Surface Book 2 - Microsoft Devices Blog

Brink, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Why is my dwm.exe taking up 50% of the GPU on my Surface Book 2?

Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

Why is my dwm.exe taking up 50% of the GPU on my Surface Book 2?

1. Why is my dwm.exe taking up 50% of the GPU on my Surface Book 2? - Similar Threads - Why dwm exe

2. dwm exe taking too much ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dwm exe taking too much ram: so, ive had this problem few weeks ago, and it annoys me because i had to restart almost everyday. hope someone could help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-exe-taking-too-much-ram/e8a7fb6d-a9c2-4c4a-b2e4-c6a4376104bf
  3. Surface Book 2 Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2 Ethernet: Hi I have a Surface Book 2 and a Surface Dock, recently my ethernet LAN just disappear not sure why. I have tried rebooting, surface diagnostic, change lan cable and tested lan cable in other device in it worked fine. but not on my SB2. I checked that there is no driver...
  4. Airpods will not connect to my Surface book 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Airpods will not connect to my Surface book 2: Hi I cant seem to connect my airpods to my surface book 2 nothing online seems to help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/airpods-will-not-connect-to-my-surface-book-2/790ec951-115e-4a61-833e-c6836af1ba03
  5. Power settings for my surface book 2

Power settings for my surface book 2: I was recently using my surface book 2 and for two days now my power settings and performance overall has decreased drastically and when I try to change power plans I can't as well. this is the image of my registry and I cant find csenabled to change for my power plans...
  6. Dwm and csrss using my gpu

Dwm and csrss using my gpu: Hey so the dwm and csrss using my gpu while im moving window folder(dwm) and while im moving cursor (csrss) and each of them can use 10% or higher And when im in csgo there is 10% of use of it (dwm) and 20% for.csgo im wondering if its okey or not...
  7. Surface book 2 GTX 1050 gpu disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface book 2 GTX 1050 gpu disappearing: I am aware this is a widespread issue among the SB2 community. I have tried everything I can find including detaching and booting into UEFI then installing older drivers, installing older and insider versions of windows 10, and a complete wipe of the device. I still am having...
  8. blue screen on a surface book 2 13" with gpu

blue screen on a surface book 2 13" with gpu: Hi, I've experienced 2 times of blue screen after a fresh installation of Windows 10 with a bunch of apps, just in 24 hours. There are the 2 event logs: 1.The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff80180edfbc9,...
  9. Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2: I am trying to run Flash files on my Surface Book 2 and have had no success. I have downloaded adobe flash. Is there something I need to do? Does Flash work on the Surface Book 2?...
  10. Surface Book 2 Wake-up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Book 2 Wake-up: My Surface book started deep sleep problem. Solved by unplugging my 25" HP monitor - TaDaa! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-book-2-wake-up/65001748-2d86-44e9-a47b-678b7cb620ea"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm surface pro

2. dwm detachable windows

3. dwm.exe surface

4. surface 2 battery drain dwm.exe using