Windows 10: Win 10 is corrupt, SFC finds nothing, can't make boot USB

Discus and support Win 10 is corrupt, SFC finds nothing, can't make boot USB in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Out of the blue after a recent update Win 10 (64 bit Home on 7 year old Dell Inspiron laptop) is corrupt. The taskbar has lost all the pinned tasks; I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Andy3142, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Andy3142 Win User

Win 10 is corrupt, SFC finds nothing, can't make boot USB

Out of the blue after a recent update Win 10 (64 bit Home on 7 year old Dell Inspiron laptop) is corrupt. The taskbar has lost all the pinned tasks; I can't add new tasks; left clicking on the Windows icon has no effect, pressing the Windows key has no effect, I can't type anything in the Cortana search field on the taskbar. Mercifully right-clicking on the Windows icon still brings up the long technical menu, and right clicking on the taskbar brings up the menu about cascading windows etc. I can't remember what simply clicking on the taskbar should do, but it does nothing.

So I ran sfc /scannow and it told me "all files are OK." So I thought I'd run it at boot time and tried to make a boot USB; but the windows media creation tool failed with error 0x80080005 - 0x90016. This doesn't seem a very helpful error, it's quite likely not related to the corruption and I don't want to get sucked into fixing unrelated errors.

What I want to do is to un-corrupt Windows / get the taskbar working again. What should I do, please?

Many thanks

Andy

:)

Andy3142, Apr 24, 2017
  2. jtcweb1 Win User

Windows 10 - SFC finds corrupt files and is unable to fix - DISM Doesn't Help - What Next??

Hello,

The link above points to instructions for the technical preview. Will they work for the release version?

jtcweb1, Apr 24, 2017
  3. jtcweb1 Win User
    Windows 10 - SFC finds corrupt files and is unable to fix - DISM Doesn't Help - What Next??

Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164)

I'm not running the preview version. I built this computer late in 2015 and bought Windows 10 from the Microsoft Online Store.

It does look like I have a stuck update also as the poser off link does say "update and restart", even after restarting several times.

jtcweb1, Apr 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You need to run a particular form of command if you're trying to run SFC from a command prompt outside windows (offline).

I'm puzzled 0- you said SFC /scannow passed. So why would you want to try to run it offline or again?

ISO: you can start here.
    Download Windows 10 ISO File - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Using the iso or a bootable medium you could do an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps almost everything.
    (Boot normally, run setup.exe and follow through the prompts).
    If unsure, there's a tutorial in the Tutorial section.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Win 10 is corrupt, SFC finds nothing, can't make boot USB - Similar Threads - corrupt SFC finds

2. sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files: sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files, all is well b4 runing sfc command, but when it says that it has fixed the corrupted files , after a restart windows app and browser control system become collapsed...fix it microsfot....
  3. sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files: sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files, all is well b4 runing sfc command, but when it says that it has fixed the corrupted files , after a restart windows app and browser control system become collapsed...fix it microsfot....
  4. sfc /scannow command is corrupting the win 10 files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Can't seem to make a USB Win 10 installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't seem to make a USB Win 10 installer: So I and my stupid adventures nature decided to try linux. Now I can't seem to get Windows back on my laptop. I download the media creation tool like Microsoft says, but it wants to install on my other laptop instead! My second laptop is running Windows and its the one I'm...
  6. Can't seem to make a USB Win 10 installer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't seem to make a USB Win 10 installer: So I and my stupid adventures nature decided to try linux. Now I can't seem to get Windows back on my laptop. I download the media creation tool like Microsoft says, but it wants to install on my other laptop instead! My second laptop is running Windows and its the one I'm...
  7. SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log: I ran /sfc scannow and it told me that there were some corrupt system files but it was unable to repair them. It told to me to look in the CBS.log so I did. I could not find any immediate red flags so here it is. https://hastebin.com/jeyisadigu...
  8. SFC finds corrupt files, but can't fix them. DISM can't find source files. Windows 10

SFC finds corrupt files, but can't fix them. DISM can't find source files. Windows 10: After running many sfc tests, I always get the same result. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Same thing with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, at about 90.1% I always end up with "Error: 0x800f081f The source...
  9. windows 10 keeps corrupting. sfc scannow find the corrupt files but can't fix them.

windows 10 keeps corrupting. sfc scannow find the corrupt files but can't fix them.: My windows 10 keeps getting corrupted and sfc is not able to repair the corrupted files. Usually I can fix the situation by using the media creation tool to reinstall over the corrupted windows. I've tried twice now and it fails very late in the file install process. Any...
  10. SFC Finds Corrupt Files but is Unable to Fix

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC Finds Corrupt Files but is Unable to Fix: I ran sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt, however when it completes I receive this message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example...