Windows 10: Win 10 Notepad and Settings

Discus and support Win 10 Notepad and Settings in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi not very tech savvy so bear with me. Recently had new Win 10 re-installed on existing laptop and now can't find any reference to Notepad which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016.

1. XBcs87 Win User

Win 10 Notepad and Settings

Hi not very tech savvy so bear with me. Recently had new Win 10 re-installed on existing laptop and now can't find any reference to Notepad which I need for text docs. Have checked the tutorial (on here) and file explorer and can't find anything about it or any indication of where it might be. Could someone fill me in on how to find it and place it somewhere for easy access.

Also can't find any link or reference for "Settings." Would be grateful if someone could put me right on that as well. All help/advice appreciated.

:)

XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016
  2. 1ebob1 Win User

Notepad automatically open when I restart win 10

Notepad automatically open when I restart win 10

1ebob1, Oct 10, 2016
  3. How to set NotePad's default to full screen

When opening a .txt file with notepad the Win 10 version opens it with the partial page setting rather than the full page setting. I would rather have it go to full page on open. How do you change this?

DavidAnderson77, Oct 10, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Dont say if your on au or not as it can make a difference. If you click on start on left of menu does it say settings? Right click on start what do you get? If you open menu click on a and it will bring up all letters click on n to find notepad or type notepad into run

Samuria, Oct 10, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    If you type notepad.exe into the search box (or Cortana) do you get nothing? It should pop open in the Start menu when you do this. At that point, you can right-click Notepad and select either "Pin to start" or "Pin to taskbar" to make it readily available to you thereafter.

Accessing Notepad by actual location is a bit trickier because it's in the WinSxS hierarchy. On my 64-bit system, it resides in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-notepad_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_9c8ef8f686b25fda, but is mapped to C:\Windows. It will launch quite nicely if you type C:\Windows\notepad.exe in the run box, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 10, 2016
  6. XBcs87 Win User
    Right or left click on Start there's no sign of Menu, Settings or Notepad. What's AU?

XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016
  7. XBcs87 Win User
    Ed clicking on Start doesn't show any search box

XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

AU = Anniversary Update, Version 1607. Try typing Windows key-R (both keys at the same time) at the keyboard. This should open the run box, at which point you can type the string shown (C:\Windows\notepad.exe), and then click OK to fire it off:

Win 10 Notepad and Settings [​IMG]

That should set you straight for notepad.

But it sounds like you might be switched into Tablet mode which is why you don't see the stuff I say should be there. I forget how to switch back ... goes off to look ... and yes, there's a tutorial for that: Tablet Mode Ask to Switch - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Try this out, and see if it returns things back to the normal desktop start menu layout and configuration. I suspect this might help you get going!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 10, 2016
  9. XBcs87 Win User
    Right clicking on Start does show search but no search box when I click it.

XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016
  10. Mooly Win User
    Type notepad as shown here.

And you should see it as here. If you right click the application you can pin it to the start or taskbar.

Mooly, Oct 10, 2016
  11. XBcs87 Win User
    Right clicking on Start does show search but no search box when I click it.

XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016
  12. XBcs87 Win User
    Sorry but you've lost me. As shown where? Tried the Option one but didn't work, no sign of "system."

XBcs87, Oct 10, 2016
  13. EdTittel Win User

How about the Run box? Does that work for you? It should under almost any circumstances. Did you try to switch from tablet mode to desktop mode? Any luck there?
    If you can report back on what you're trying and not trying, we can help you get it sorted.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 10, 2016
  14. Mooly Win User
    This is the search box. Are you not seeing this ? You just begin typing what you want into the box.

Mooly, Oct 10, 2016
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Good screen cap, Mooly! I should've done that already. Thanks for putting this up. I'm still not sure if the OP is in tablet mode or desktop mode.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 Notepad and Settings - Similar Threads - Notepad Settings

2. Set old notepad as default in win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set old notepad as default in win 11: Hello, I would like to make old notepad my default text editor, bit I do not know how. Can someone help me? Victor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-old-notepad-as-default-in-win-11/a382df3c-d512-4e88-8d3f-75fa0a152eb7
  3. Set old notepad as default in win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set old notepad as default in win 11: Hello, I would like to make old notepad my default text editor, bit I do not know how. Can someone help me? Victor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-old-notepad-as-default-in-win-11/a382df3c-d512-4e88-8d3f-75fa0a152eb7
  4. Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit

Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit: When I exit notepad without saving - I lose my edits.How can I set Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit, when the file was changed?Thanks,Efrat...
  5. Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit: When I exit notepad without saving - I lose my edits.How can I set Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit, when the file was changed?Thanks,Efrat...
  6. I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.: When I right click any of the above apps on my taskbar, then right click again, I don't see the properties option, thus not letting me change the icon. I only see open, run as administrator, pin to start, and unpin from taskbar. If I unpin the app, create a shortcut of the...
  7. I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.

I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.: When I right click any of the above apps on my taskbar, then right click again, I don't see the properties option, thus not letting me change the icon. I only see open, run as administrator, pin to start, and unpin from taskbar. If I unpin the app, create a shortcut of the...
  8. The Character Sets in Notepad Look Incorrectly Rendered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Character Sets in Notepad Look Incorrectly Rendered: The character sets in Notepad look incorrectly rendered like this.It could be the Korean character sets, the Chinese character sets, the Japanese character sets, or the character sets from the other languages.How am I supposed to make the character sets look correctly...
  9. The Character Sets in Notepad Look Incorrectly Rendered

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Character Sets in Notepad Look Incorrectly Rendered: The character sets in Notepad look incorrectly rendered like this.It could be the Korean character sets, the Chinese character sets, the Japanese character sets, or the character sets from the other languages.How am I supposed to make the character sets look correctly...
  10. The Character Sets in Notepad Look Incorrectly Rendered