Windows 10: Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size!

Discus and support Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum and I am looking for your assistant. I have successfully installed Win 10 Pro 64 Bit on my iMac... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iMak, Mar 19, 2016.

1. iMak Win User

Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size!

Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum and I am looking for your assistant.

I have successfully installed Win 10 Pro 64 Bit on my iMac through BootCamp, I assigned 40 GB for BootCamp partition, but what I noticed after Windows finished the installation and logged in successfully, 19 GB out 40 GB was consumed!

Is this normal?

:)

2. Kumpat Win User

Repairing a Win 10 running on Boot camp using Win 10 system image file

Hi,

I had installed Win10 on bootcamp using Bootcamp utility using GB250 (Half of the Mc partition)

All worked fine. Win10 and OS/X (El capitan)

I needed to reduce Bootcamp win10 partition.

So I created Win 10 system Image and a repair disk using Windows admin tools.

Then removed the Win 10 and and bootcamp using Bootcamp utility on MAC.

Then I recreated new bootcamp partition of 150 GB (smaller than before)

Ran the recovery and installed the WIN 10 Image on to Bootcamp. (Windows recovery process reformatted the C:Bootcamp partition to NTFS to restore the image)

Windows 10 works fine. (Win admin tools show Win 10 is on C:bootcamp partition with Apprx 150 GB drive)

OS/ X runs fine also.

I checked the disk utility and it shows that I have OS X partition of the correct size (Disk minus150GB); there is no Bootcamp partition.

If I look at the HDD partitions it shows MAC partition of correct size but there is no Bootcamp. and the 150GB space is shown to unallocated.

I do I fix the problem such that OS X recognises the bootcamp partition

Any ideas ??

Kumpat, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Ivan_Lai Win User
    Parallels 11 to Bootcamp Win 10 activation

Installed a licensed copy of Win 7 pro 64 bit under Parallels 11 at my new MacBook. Upgrade to Win 10 64 bit Pro with no problem with activation. Found out that 1 of my USB Token is not function properly and decided to switch to Bootcamp as both tech at
    Microsoft and Parallels unable to resolve the issue.

Created a bootable Win 10 USB and proceed with Bootcamp installation (Unable to use Win 7 as the latest MacBook Bootcamp require Win 8 and above). Installed Win 10 without entering product key and after installation it did detect my product key for Win 10
    from previous installation under Parallels 11. My USB Token now function correctly. However, under Bootcamp my Win 10 is not activated even though it detected my product key.

Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size! [​IMG]

Called Microsoft and they suggest me to get a new copy of Win 10. That is not helpful at all. Unable to install Win 7 under Bootcamp to re-upgrade again. Is there any other way to resolve this?

Ivan_Lai, Mar 19, 2016
  4. JohnC Win User

Hi iMak, welcome to Ten Forums. 19Gb is in the ballpark right after installation. If you run Disk Cleanup using the cleanup system files option it will clear out a few more Gb.

JohnC, Mar 20, 2016
  5. iMak Win User
    Hi John, thank you for your reply.

Well I run the Disk Cleanup and the largest file size found was 488 MB as shown below...

But the interesting thing is this, I think these two .sys files are taking mos of the space. What are these used for? And how to get rid of them if it's safe to do so.

6. JohnC Win User
    You can disable the hibernate function. that will get rid of the hyberfil.sys. This is from the tutorial forum. It shows how to do it. Hibernate - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.
    Did you click on the clean up system files? There might be some more junk there. You need to check the boxes for the items you want deleted. The pagefil.sys is virtual memory I would leave it alone, You can disable it, but it will affect performance. Here is some more info on pagefile and virtual memory in windows. Understanding the Windows Pagefile and Why You Shouldnt Disable It .

JohnC, Mar 23, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    The pagefile and hibernation file sizes are dependent on the amount of installed memory, and are invariably more than you will regularly need, these days, on a machine that has no gross problems with hardware, software or misuse.

If you don't disable hibernation altogether, I have read that you can reduce the hibernation filesize to a minimum of 50% of the maximum size with an admin command:

Powercfg –h –size %50

70% is recommended though.

The pagefile may be set to a lower size manually in the virtual memory settings. Here follows the traditional way to change pagefile settings, which I hope may be simplified when Windows 10 has its settings overhauled to something much more convenient.

*Start+x
    System
    Advanced system settings
    Advanced tab
    Performance Settings...
    Advanced tab
    Virtual memory Change...
    uncheck Automatically Manage etc.,
    select Custom size and use the recommended size as minimum and maximum and select Set, and Ok to close each of the property pages.
    You should now reboot.

If Windows ever requires more virtual memory, it will warn you as it increases the pagefile size (note that it does not require a reboot - so why does it when you change it manually?) - you should set that new size as your maximum and minimum size to hopefully avoid future warnings. In normal use about 1.5 GB is often sufficient, if you have upwards of 4GB RAM installed. If you use resource-heavy software, or stretch your system with many open windows or webpages, it will be more.

Increasing pagefile size often fragments the pagefile, which may affect performance. Windows does not have a built-in facility to separate its swapfile(s) from the main boot drive which IMO is stupid.

You can have your pagefile on another, or spread over more than one drive volume, but it is recommended that about 300MB remains on your boot drive - the one that C:\Windows is situated on - so that it can create memory dumps in the event of a BSOD.

Run Disk cleanup in 2 passes - after it has calculated the first time, click on the cleanup system files and it will find a load more stuff you can select to remove.

Fafhrd, Mar 23, 2016
  8. iMak Win User

Fafhrd, thank you for your input.

The installed RAM on my PC is 20GB and my boot drive is 256GB SSD. I never used hibernation but again I don't have the Sleep mode option.

Am I safe to disable the hibernation?

iMak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro BootCamp Clean Install Size! - Similar Threads - Pro BootCamp Clean

2. Clean install of win 11 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install of win 11 pro: I have a laptop running with a digital licence for Win10 Pro. The laptop originally came with Win 10 home but I upgraded to win 10 pro using a key from a win 7 ultimate dvd.Windows update tells me I can update to win 11 pro from my present install and acquire a digital...
  3. Clean install of win 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of win 11 pro: I have a laptop running with a digital licence for Win10 Pro. The laptop originally came with Win 10 home but I upgraded to win 10 pro using a key from a win 7 ultimate dvd.Windows update tells me I can update to win 11 pro from my present install and acquire a digital...
  4. Clean install win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install win 10 Pro: Hello, I'm not a power user or well practiced on or in computing. I have a Lenovo E570 laptop with Win 10Pro V1903 It has two SSD's. I'd like to clean install a new copy of Win 10 Pro. I've got both drives backed up on an external drive. When it comes time to restore...
  5. Clean install win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install win 10 Pro: Hello, I'm not a power user or well practiced on or in computing. I have a Lenovo E570 laptop with Win 10Pro V1903 It has two SSD's. I'd like to clean install a new copy of Win 10 Pro. I've got both drives backed up on an external drive. When it comes time to restore...
  6. Intermittent WiFi Connection, Win 10 Pro on Bootcamp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent WiFi Connection, Win 10 Pro on Bootcamp: Hello. This seems like a never ending issue which unfortunately involves two operating systems. After months of stability the wifi on my Bootcamp suddenly becomes unstable and the connection is lost almost every 2-minutes. I have done all I could with the driver. I have...
  7. Win 10 home installation with bootcamp

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 home installation with bootcamp: I bought windows 10 home online recently at Microsoft official website to be installed in a MacBook Pro with bootcamp. After getting the Windows installed and product key typed in got an error message saying that was not possible to validate the product key. Requiring to...
  8. Clean install Win-10 Pro on NVMe

Clean install Win-10 Pro on NVMe: Hello, Got a Lenovo Thinkpad P50 with 1TB NVMe and Win-10 Home. Made an image and now would like to clean install my retail Win-10 Pro on it. What should I keep in mind while installing OS on a NVMe drive? Overprovisioning? TRIM? Win-10 Index disable? Win-10 defrag...
  9. Clean install of win 10 ?

Clean install of win 10 ?: Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178 4374
  10. Clean WIn 10 Pro Install

Clean WIn 10 Pro Install: Got a new dell with Win 10 Pro. I am putting in a new SSD and want to do a clean install. Is this the correct MS download? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 It downloads the media creation tool. Then options are Win 10, Win 10 Home, and Win 10 N....