Windows 10: Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files

Discus and support Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently completed my upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. However I now notice that when I save some files, Win 10 does not seem to be able to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChetR, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ChetR Win User

Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files

I recently completed my upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10.
    However I now notice that when I save some files, Win 10 does not seem to be able to find them.
    When I use search I get the following message:
    "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff."
    The animated donut runs continuously, and the files cannot be found.
    Is there a fix? Or should I consider restoring Win 7?

:)

ChetR, Aug 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 Download Stalled

I cannot find this afamgt.sys file. Going from WIN 7 to WIN 10. Upgrade stalled. C:\Windows\System32 does not have that file in it. My folders are set to show all files including hidden. Tried searching nothing.

Michael LoDico, Aug 2, 2016
  3. In windows search I cannot find some of my apps.

I had taken out some of my apps from the start menu using its file explorer folder I cannot find those apps anymore but the apps folders are still on my computer and they are working. I used search but it wont help me find the applications. Please help me.

Sincerely,

Shyam

ShyamVenkatesan, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home and it fixed after a while. Also try removing stuff, or restarting your PC.

ProgrammerWhiz, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Chet, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Your search index has not finished updated for the changes yet. This can take a while if it's only running limited in the background.

If you like, you can manually rebuild the index to force it to update now. It would be best to let the computer sit if able to allow it to finish faster.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 3, 2016
  6. ChetR Win User
    Thank you, Brink, for your suggestions.
    I tried Method No. 1, but at the final command to click OK on the rebuild, the screen quickly flashed and then nothing else happened to indicate indexing was in progress.
    I still have to try Method No. 2, but that will not be until Thursday.....

ChetR, Aug 3, 2016
  7. ChetR Win User
    OK, tried method #2.
    Interestingly the elusive files were available for awhile, but several hours later they once again disappeared!
    The files are in a folder and I can access the files directly, but search apparently cannot find them....
    Further thoughts?

ChetR, Aug 4, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 4, 2016
  9. ChetR Win User
    OK, checked out above suggestion and ran Method #1 again. I allowed it to run overnight and the progress box told me the indexing was complete in the morning.
    But the file is still missing.
    I can go to the folder and access the file directly, and the properties of the file correctly refer to its location.
    This conundrum does not happen all of the time, but it does happen some of the time.

ChetR, Aug 4, 2016
  10. ChetR Win User
    UPDATE: I found a workaround. I Cut the file from the folder where it cannot be found by Search and paste it to the Desktop. I then Cut it from that location and re-paste it back in the correct folder. Now Search can find it! But I'll have to check again tomorrow morning to see if it can still be found....

ChetR, Aug 4, 2016
  11. ChetR Win User
    OK, here's two screenshots to show my problem.
    In Search Error #1 you will see that two photos "Via Salice #4.jpg" are in my Sundial folder.
    BUT, in Search Error #2 (the blued box says Via Salice #4) you will see that search could not find them....
    This is after multiple re-indexing....
    (Unfortunately you will #2 before #1...)

ChetR, Aug 4, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    How are the search results if you search using "Via Salice" or "Via Salice4" instead of "Via Salice #4"?

Brink, Aug 4, 2016
  13. ChetR Win User

I was not able to to Snipe the result, so I used Alt/Print Screen to capture the image and put it in a word document (attached)
    It still could not find it.....

ChetR, Aug 4, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    As a test, disable the "Windows Search" service to disable the Index to see how if your search results are accurate afterwards.

Brink, Aug 4, 2016
  15. ChetR Win User
    I would like to perform the test you mention, but I am at a loss as how to disable Windows Search......

ChetR, Aug 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files - Similar Threads - Search cannot find

2. File manager win 10 cannot find a pcie M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File manager win 10 cannot find a pcie M2 SSD: running windows 10 - new install. MB is a asus MAXIMUS XIII APEX. 64GB of Ram.M2 is a Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe m.2 2280In the BIOS setting the M2 is available. When I try to find it in the windows file managerit does not show up...
  3. File manager win 10 cannot find a pcie M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File manager win 10 cannot find a pcie M2 SSD: running windows 10 - new install. MB is a asus MAXIMUS XIII APEX. 64GB of Ram.M2 is a Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe m.2 2280In the BIOS setting the M2 is available. When I try to find it in the windows file managerit does not show up...
  4. File manager win 10 cannot find a pcie M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. WIN 10 Scan Utility cannot find my scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIN 10 Scan Utility cannot find my scanner: With all WIN 10 updates installed, the WIN 10 Scan utility gives an error message saying that it cannot find my scanner Brother MF machine, even though it initially lists the correct machine. Full current printer and driver package have just been installed. The old WIN scan...
  6. Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results

in Cortana
    Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results: Some items that show up from a Start Menu Quick Search will open with a double-click, or a R-click/Open. However noOutlook (was 2103, now '365') emails, or files that do have a visible extension, are identified in the "Type' coulmn, and have the contents summary appended to...
  7. My search cant find files

in Cortana
    My search cant find files: i have done everything possible to do. been on so many sites trying to fix it. for some reason when i search i cannot find any files or apps using the start search or in documents search. i have checked my service is running. i have i did few cmd commands. i have tried...
  8. Win 10 search not finding some files

in Cortana
    Win 10 search not finding some files: I am having a BSOD issue when waking from sleep. circlass.sys is the suspect along with hcw89.sys. This issue is in another thread. Under my normal account, a search of C:\ fails to find hcw89.sys. If I log in as "standard user" search quickly finds some "hcw" files....
  9. Windows Search cannot find new installed application

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search cannot find new installed application: Hi all, recently I observed that, the windows search fails to index my new installed application. This applies for both desktop application as well as application installed from windows store. The search still works for application which were installed from before. I...
  10. Search cannot find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search cannot find files: I have hundreds of videos but when I try to search for them by using IN this PC the Kind:=video command the search come up empty. It simply cannot find anything I ask it to search for. I do not want to use third party search applications. I just want it to work. Does anyone...