Windows 10: Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors

Discus and support Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Dell that was originally a Win 8 and did the free upgrade to 10. Computer has been lagging and hanging for past couple of weeks. Now I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LarryT454, Nov 6, 2017.

1. LarryT454 Win User

Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors

I have a Dell that was originally a Win 8 and did the free upgrade to 10. Computer has been lagging and hanging for past couple of weeks. Now I get the BSOD intermittently. In the Win notices I am getting notice for drive errors and also requests to run drive scan and fix errors. I have done this more than a few times and and keep getting the Win 10 notices and computer freezing. I am assuming I need to change the drive but unsure about reinstalling Win 10 since this was originally a Win 8 computer. Also how would I boot the computer when the new drive is installed to install the new OS? I am new at this sort of thing. Any guidance or tips would be appreciated.

:)

LarryT454, Nov 6, 2017
  2. SM2359 Win User

Want windows 10 back!!!

Hello

I have a Dell Inspiron 5558 Laptop. It came with Windows 8.1. When the windows 10 upgrade rolled out for free, I had upgraded my system to win10. Some days back, I started getting BSOD(Blue Screen Of Death) errors and i could not access my account. As the
    laptop is under warranty period, I gave it to Dell Service Center and they formatted the system and installed Windows 8.1.

As the win10 free upgrade deadline is over, how do I upgrade to (genuine) win 10 for free???

Also, can I use "windows 10 upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies" version if i don't really use assistive technologies??

P.S. : I did not create any recovery drive for windows 10.

Thanks in advance

**Moved by Moderator to Windows 10. Reason: To provide clarity.**

SM2359, Nov 6, 2017
  3. vtxman75 Win User
    Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Would you know if this apples to OEM versions? I'm about to purchase a new Dell and they are advertising a free upgrade to Win 10. I realize that's a Microsoft Upgrade, not really a Dell upgrade, but they are claiming if you have Win 7 or 8,. Pro, you
    can only go to a Standard Win 10 version.

vtxman75, Nov 6, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

See posting instructions:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

Please update the system specs:

How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please include PSU, cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless: mouse, keyboard, printer, headset, xbox, etc.

zbook, Nov 6, 2017
  5. axe0 New Member
    You would need to reinstall Windows 10 on the new drive using a bootable USB or different storage device.

axe0, Nov 6, 2017
  6. LarryT454 Win User
    How would I go about getting the free copy of Win 10 since I did the free upgrade on a Win 8 computer?

LarryT454, Nov 6, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
  8. philc43 Win User

Download Windows 10 ISO File

philc43, Nov 6, 2017
  9. axe0 New Member
    Since you already have a license, you only need to download an ISO *Smile

axe0, Nov 6, 2017
  10. LarryT454 Win User
    Sorry I am new at this but since I am installing a new drive, when I download win 10 from a USB will this license be recognized automatically? Is it stored in the bios or something like that?

LarryT454, Nov 7, 2017
  11. SIW2 Win User
  12. LarryT454 Win User
    Thank you to all that answered.

LarryT454, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors - Similar Threads - Dell free upgrade

2. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10: When Windows 10 was released I was given the opportunity to upgrade from my Windows 8 which I did !I now find I cannot get any updates and am consistently asked to provide my Activation Key or my Digital Licence Key, I don't have either of those.Where do I go from Here ?...
  3. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10: When Windows 10 was released I was given the opportunity to upgrade from my Windows 8 which I did !I now find I cannot get any updates and am consistently asked to provide my Activation Key or my Digital Licence Key, I don't have either of those.Where do I go from Here ?...
  4. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  6. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  7. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  8. Win 10 Free Upgrade

Win 10 Free Upgrade: I still have Win 8.1 Pro in one of my pc's. Is it too late to upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free. If so what would be the process.Win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-free-upgrade/6c5b0473-a789-4832-918f-0579fdb5c9d2
  9. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...
  10. Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?

Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?: I have a laptop with win 8 on it it does not have win 8.1 on it, can I use the win 10 mediacreation tool to upgrade win 8 (non 8.1) to win 10? 43418