Windows 10: Win update not cleaning up

Discus and support Win update not cleaning up in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I tick system files when doing my weekly clean up and confirm to delete but when I check the update filrs are still there even after a reboot, Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by spottydog10, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Win update not cleaning up

I tick system files when doing my weekly clean up and confirm to delete but when I check the update filrs are still there even after a reboot, Any ideas?
    Thanks, Mike

Win update not cleaning up [​IMG]

:)

spottydog10, Sep 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 Updates stuck and not downloading on 64 bit pc

I did a clean up of system files on Windows Disk Cleanup and did the usual clean up, restarted pc and all day it has been downloading Win 10 updates only at 45% now--3:45 pm.

It says Adobe Flash and Silverlight have updated today and there are 4 more updates.

I'm sure I did cleaned up the pc yesterday and restarted it. At least is it working today, but only slowly updating.

It sure did not take my 32 bit Win 10 tablet very long to update yesterday.

tired of vista bugs, Sep 7, 2017
  3. empath06 Win User
    disk cleanup not cleaning up

disk cleanup is not working. My computer is getting affected by this. screens are not loading quickly, load partially and skip in loading. I have been using this computer for a long time and have never had this issue. Virus protection works fine. Is
    this due to windows updates? Somebody answer this question that knows what they are doing and not give me a pacifying answer.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

empath06, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Win update not cleaning up

Tony K, Sep 7, 2017
  5. Thanks mate,
    I'd already tried cc cleaner with no result, I should have said.

spottydog10, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hmm. You don't get files cleaned in Ccleaner? Have you deselected "Files older than" in it's settings? That's only if you want.

Be aware that if you run it twice in a row you will get a few files for the system is creating them as it runs.

Tony K, Sep 7, 2017
  7. I ran cc cleaner again just in case and no change.
    Strangely, the 230mb of internet files didn't delete either...

spottydog10, Sep 7, 2017
  8. Helmut Win User

The system normally will do it after 10 days, for major Windows 10 updates.
    You may have over-cleaned and stopped what it wants to. You certainly should not be doing that weekly.
    It won't delete some Temporary internet files, there are reasons why.

Helmut, Sep 7, 2017
  9. You can do it manually, download WC.bat and run it as admin. It removes files from directories like:

Code: del "%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution" /s /f /q del "%WINDIR%\WinSxS\Backup" /s /f /q[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Sep 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Rather that try to work out how to delete them, have you tried to work out what they are for?

3GB is a bit large for a routine update, but it's about the size needed for the upgrade to Creators Update. Are you still on version 1607, the Anniversary Update? Could it be that you are are about to get 1703 the Creators Update? It may be the reason you cannot delete them is becuse the update has not fully downloaded and has yet to be applied.

11. f14tomcat Win User
    @spottydog10

I agree with Bree there may be a pending update.

What version of Windows are you on? WINKEY + R, WINVER, enter......please post answer.

Some past versions were giving false flags and sizes in Disk Cleanup. To rule that out, and attack from a different angle, run this at Admin Command prompt. Check all the boxes. Do not close the command window until all the taskbar flashing little windows have stopped. This does the same as Disk Cleanup, but a bit deeper.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

f14tomcat, Sep 7, 2017
  12. Thanks guys,

I tried the cmd line cleanup and it made no difference - when I re run Win disk clean up the files are still there.
    My build is 1703

Thanks

spottydog10, Sep 9, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

You could try the Update Troubleshooter. look in Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot.

You could also try the tutorial: Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

Be warned though, you may also clear your update history, particularly if you follow the 'reset windows update' tutorial.

14. I ran the update troubleshoot batch file and still no joy,

spottydog10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win update not cleaning up - Similar Threads - update cleaning

2. Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up: I've been trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up in Systen>Storage>Temporary Files but it just won't delete. I don't know why this is happening though....
  3. Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up: I've been trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up in Systen>Storage>Temporary Files but it just won't delete. I don't know why this is happening though....
  4. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  5. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  6. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa: Hello,To say I am beyond frustrated with Windows Update is an understatement and I know I'm not alone from my research! Now that I got that out of the way...A couple days ago, my leading brand antivirus solution decided to error on an update which took out my previous Windows...
  7. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa: Hello,To say I am beyond frustrated with Windows Update is an understatement and I know I'm not alone from my research! Now that I got that out of the way...A couple days ago, my leading brand antivirus solution decided to error on an update which took out my previous Windows...
  8. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.: A few days ago, my laptop updated, but then failed to load windows. It cycled twice with a message saying failed to and windows was collecting some details. The third time it took me to a recovery menu. None of the the repair or rollback options worked. In order to use a...
  10. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.: A few days ago, my laptop updated, but then failed to load windows. It cycled twice with a message saying failed to and windows was collecting some details. The third time it took me to a recovery menu. None of the the repair or rollback options worked. In order to use a...