Windows 10: Win+X doesn't work anymore

Discus and support Win+X doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; pressing Win+X doesn't show the power user menu for me anymore. right clicking Start button doesn't work either, but when I do it, the mouse cursor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by najodleglejszy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Win+X doesn't work anymore

pressing Win+X doesn't show the power user menu for me anymore. right clicking Start button doesn't work either, but when I do it, the mouse cursor jumps several pixels up and to the right. I did sfc /scannow and it didn't fix the issue. does anyone know how to fix it?

edit: apparently following that guide and doing this disables Win+X. problem solved.

:)

najodleglejszy, Aug 11, 2015

2. Win+X combination doesn't work anymore

Hi,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

Please refer to the link below.

Win+X doesn't work anymore Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Win+X combination doesn't work anymore

thanks for the reply. I ran the following commands in the CMD prompt as administrator and rebooted, but I still can't access Win+X menu.

I also want to note that I can access %localappdata%\microsoft\windows\winx in explorer and all the shortcuts are there.

najodleglejszy, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Win+X doesn't work anymore

I have exact same problem .. And i too have removed the shortcut icons from regedit ... Could that be the issue ?
    Pls help

glenngaucigrech, Apr 22, 2016
  5. Maeve1956 Win User
    I have been looking for a solution to this problem for days. Win+X doesn't work on my Windows 8.1 Pro computer. All the other Win+ keys work just fine. Right-clicking on the Start Button does nothing - no context menu appears. This happens when logged in as any user, including a new, clean profile. It happens in Safe Mode. It happens with a Clean Boot. The %appdata%\...\WinX folder is present and correct. I tried every fix suggested on every website I could find and none of them worked until I hit on this forum.

I had previously removed the shortcut arrow from desktop icons. I have been doing this for 20 years, ever since Windows 98 came out. I found a tip for Windows 98 years ago that said you could remove the shortcut icon arrows by editing these two keys:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
    "IsShortcut"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile]
    "IsShortcut"=""

All you had to do was rename the two values "ShortcutIs" and restart or logout and log in, and the arrows would be gone. Been doing that for 20 years with no problem, from Win98 to Win7.

However, it seems that when you do this in Windows 8.1 Pro, it disables the Win+X key. As soon as I set both values back to the default (IsShortcut) and restarted, the Win+X key worked, and right-clicking on the Start button gave me back the Start context menu.

I don't actually like the Win+X menu, I always install Classic Start Menu and give myself back a Windows 7-style Start menu. But it annoyed me that the Win+X menu was missing, even though I don't use it. I knew this meant something was wrong, which bugged me.

Thank you for helping me solve this problem, which I thought I was stuck with. I had NO intention of reinstalling Windows 8.1, which many sites (including Microsoft) had suggested - that is too drastic a solution and it wasn't worth the time and trouble, and I would simply have hidden the shortcut arrows again and been back where I started.

Maeve1956, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win+X doesn't work anymore

1. Win+X doesn't work anymore - Similar Threads - Win+X doesn't anymore

2. Winget doesn't work anymore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Winget doesn't work anymore.: Hello everyone, as you can see from the screenshot when i use the command "winget" it does nothing, the only change that i can see is the colour of the letters.Is there a solution?Thank in advance....
  3. Winget doesn't work anymore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Winget doesn't work anymore.: Hello everyone, as you can see from the screenshot when i use the command "winget" it does nothing, the only change that i can see is the colour of the letters.Is there a solution?Thank in advance....
  4. Win + W shortcut doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win + W shortcut doesn't work anymore: Every time, I used to press Win + W, select Snip & Sketch and begin drawing on my screen capture, but now, for some reason, this shortcut doesn't work. If I press Win + W, the pop-up doesn't appear anymore, my Windows Explorer freezes I can't open the Start menu, Settings,...
  5. The 'Win' key on my keyboard doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The 'Win' key on my keyboard doesn't work anymore: Hello everybody, I have a direct yet maybe not simple question. I'm using Windows 10 with a Cooler Master SK621 keyboard. Yesterday, out of nowhere, the 'Win' key on my keyboard stopped working. The actual key works, but it's not recognized as the 'Win' button'. I googled...
  6. Fingertip doesn't work anymore

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingertip doesn't work anymore: I've had this windows hello fingertip thing and it doesn't work anymore i tried to update the driver "Biometric devices" as in the picture but it says that it's already updated, my windows is updated as well[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Notebook doesn't work anymore

Notebook doesn't work anymore: Hi. I need emergency help So, I have this Lenovo Ideapad 320 for about 8months and it suddenly started having "blue screen" errors. I did what i found in the community, and that was cleaning my HD by CMD, it helped that was March 18th. Then everything was fine until...
  8. A program doesn't work anymore

A program doesn't work anymore: Hey there, A few days ago, my PC ran into a problem and restarted while I was playing a game. After that, I have not been able to open the game anymore. Unfortunately, there is no error message to be posted. Can anyone help me out with this problem? Regards....
  9. License doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License doesn't work anymore: My computer started to tell me my license was going to expire, and I didn't really look into it. Then the messages stopped coming up, and was replaced with a Activate Windows thing in the corner. Today, I wanted to play a game from the microsoft store, and when I tried to...
  10. Bluetooth doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth doesn't work anymore: A few moments ago my bluetooth stopped workig. I already tried to follow your faq on how to fix the problems similar to mine, but nothing worked. Then I found this topic: click. It's identical to my case: after I disinstalled the bluetooth from Device Manager and rebooted...