Windows 10: Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar

Discus and support Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use the WindowsKey-E to bring up File Explorer (FE). I want to search for something in indexed locations. FE comes up with "This PC" in the "where to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by prairie, Jan 20, 2017.

1. prairie Win User

Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar

I use the WindowsKey-E to bring up File Explorer (FE). I want to search for something in indexed locations. FE comes up with "This PC" in the "where to search" bar. That's fine... that's what I want. When I type something in, I get the slow green bar coming across. I don't know what it is searching .... all I want is an index search. By the way, the same thing happens on my Win10 laptop. Is there some way to get instantaneous results?
    I can use the search at the lower left of the windows desktop. It is quick, but I get an abbreviated list. I have gone so far as to buy Lookeen search ... and it works pretty well. But doggone it, I ought to be able to get Windows to cough up its index results quickly and comprehensively. Thanks, Dave

:)

prairie, Jan 20, 2017

2. Windows 10 February 2016 update caused file associations to reset - bad update

My laptop updated February 10 and has completely broken the file associations. Not only that but the File Explorer does not show any icons and the dreaded green bar on file explorer is so slow that it takes few minutes to complete.

The workarounds of going to Default Apps is not fixing the problem of green bar very slow.

I need the Microsoft Technical Support teams to escalate this issue to L3 to look because although it is happening in-consistently IT IS breaking things.

Also, anyone please let me know how to revert the entire patch or I am reverting the entire Windows 10 update to Windows 8.1 since I have the option of doing that.

Thanks

AmitOnMission, Jan 20, 2017
  3. Hard screen alignment

I also couldn't see the Windows folder...I went to the 'Folder and Search Options' (on the pc's explorer window) and removed the check box from 'Hide protected operatiung system files...', and I can see it now (but trying to open it results is a very slow
    green progress bar in the address window (using Win7)).

Steve76063, Jan 20, 2017
  4. smirk24 Win User

Can post a picture of the issue?

smirk24, Jan 21, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    @prairie, Welcome to TenForums!

There are two places where you can change File Explorer's search options, too many options turned on may be slowing the search and causing the slow progress of the green progress bar. The first is covered in this Tutorial.

Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar [​IMG]

File Explorer Options - Open in Windows 10

The second is the 'Advanced options' on the 'Search' ribbon, click in File Explorer's 'Search this PC' box to show this ribbon.

Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar [​IMG]

6. dalchina New Member
    How fast you get your results from Windows search depends on the scope of your search, and on how much of that scope is specified to be indexed (see Indexing Options in the Control Panel) and how much of that has actually been indexed when you search.

It also depends on whether what your searching has content indexing enabled (that includes text files and meta data- tags) and whether that's already been indexed or not.

If you open a particular folder with file explorer, then search, you will search within that folder.
    a. If the folder has not been indexed, but is small, the green bar will progress relatively quickly.
    b. If it has been indexed, fast.

I've not attempted comparisons for speed of non-indexed search if you use additional restrictive parameters e.g. size, date...
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

For REALLY quick results across ALL your disks/partitions as in 'find as you type', use one of these free tools:
    Ultrasearch (maintained, optional further search for file content)
    Locate 32 (older, good GUI options, optional further search for file content) - my preference
    Everything (no optional further search for file content, need to use a beta to get further GUI options, adds a service) - best known and used by many here.

One big advantage is these support GUI options to specify your search, whereas doing the same in Windows search requires convoluted syntax. (See link).

dalchina, Jan 21, 2017
  7. prairie Win User
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't see anything in my settings that should be changed. So in looking at the alternative products suggested, I think "Everything" fits the bill. So thanks for the suggestions and help. Regards, Dave

prairie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar - Similar Threads - Win10 Explorer search

2. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  3. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  4. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar: I recently upgraded to windows 10 20H2. I had a number of issues after this upgrade including, but not limited to, a black flickering screen, that could only be resolved by a reboot. I used the option to revert to the previous version on windows 10 and am now on windows 10...
  6. Green ribbon and slow windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Green ribbon and slow windows explorer: Every time I open windows explorer it locks up my whole PC for several minutes while it does *something* that involves a green status ribbon filling the address bar. If I leave it sitting on "This PC" it sometimes does it again and again. I do not care what service Windows...
  7. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found: Since microsoft, after untold years, still can't explain or fix this idiotic failure, I finally found a solution. Trust me, all the index tweaks, etc etc etc don't work. I tried everything, exhaustively. You just need to dump POS file explorer. There's a program called...
  8. Green progress bar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Green progress bar in File Explorer: I don't remember how or when I made a change in File Explorer, but each time I call it up now, I get a slow moving progress bar in the bar where it identifies the location. I noticed there in the search bar it shows where it is going: "search (J:) Jack" as an example. How...
  9. Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?: Can't remember what I did when tweaking indexing. But now I note that when I search on iExplorer, I've got to wait a rather long time for the green line to complete its course before the search is completed. Now, I generally do use and have been using Everything for my...
  10. Windows explorer very slow (green bar)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer very slow (green bar): My windows explorer used to be very fast. Then I tried to decompress a zip file, and cancel it. Now it is very slow. symptoms: -When I press (Windows)+E nothing happens until some minutes later (before it opened winosw explorer instantly) -when explorer is open I...