Windows 10: Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login

Discus and support Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday updated from Win7Pro to Win10Pro my old Lenovo Thinkpad x220. The laptop does have the original 320GB HDD and a mSATA 240GB SSD, the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davide445, Jul 3, 2017.

1. davide445 Win User

Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login

Yesterday updated from Win7Pro to Win10Pro my old Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
    The laptop does have the original 320GB HDD and a mSATA 240GB SSD, the latest used as main disk now with Windows 10. For security reasons I never deleted the older Win7 installation in the HDD.

At the end I was presented with a black screen and the Lenovo Center opened. All the tests was passed.
    I closed it and no desktop was available.

A few reboot and the situation is I can login but after that no desktop is shown, only a white small rectangle saying "Personalized settings. (Not responding)". Trying to do anything I'm told Windows Explorer is not responding. The task manager shown only an app is running.

Any suggestions how to proceed is welcomed, I can now boot on the older HDD but I miss many programs and of course it's not what I want.

:)

davide445, Jul 3, 2017

2. user accounts

Had two user accouts on my win7 laptop. After the win10 upgrade I only have the option to sign on with one acctin the login screen?

DavidBaenziger, Jul 3, 2017
  3. Fred1293 Win User
    screen not working after Windows 10 upgrade

my screen on my Lenovo x230 doesn't work anymore after upgrading from Win7 to Win10.

On startup the screen is working for a few seconds to show the Lenovo startscreen and then 4 blue squares which I guess are from Win10...then everything turns black.

At first I thought that it had crashed but I can still hear it running!

I can do a blind login using CTRL and I hear Skype automatically login after some time...

I tried using a secondary monitor which didn't work.

Is this a known issue...and is there a cure?

thanks

Fred

Fred1293, Jul 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. davide445 Win User
    In Safe Mode I reach the desktop, but I'm not able to perform any update.
    Opening the Preferences window I'm able to open various options but Update and Internet connection windows close suddenly if I try to open them.
    Also the wifi is not working (say there are connection available, but no one is listed), only Eth.

davide445, Jul 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 3, 2017
  7. davide445 Win User
    I missed your email for minutes before beginning the rollback to Win7. Now completed all working again.
    I tried every option in the Win10 "safe restart " but none work.
    Also tried to install manually various drivers but Win Installer server not running prevented me to complete the task.
    Will try maybe another time, thanks all for your support!

davide445, Jul 3, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If you have room on the hard drive, you can make a partition for Windows 10 and try a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login - Similar Threads - Win7 Win10 upgrade

2. Fix graphics drivers and Win10 black screen (Win7)?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fix graphics drivers and Win10 black screen (Win7)?: Hello, I had Windows 10 and everything was always running fine but out of nowhere I had a black screen and the only way out was to format the HDD over the bios. Then I installed Windows 7 and wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 but after the PC restarts the Win10 logo comes up...
  3. upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  4. Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login: I upgraded my desktop computer from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 and everything seemed to be working. I was able to work on the computer without problem for the rest of the day (hours). But the next day when I restarted the computer I got a black screen with flashing...
  5. Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen

Win7 to Win10 update fails with black screen: I'm trying to update a win7 machine to win10. At a certain point the screen became black and nothing happen. The problem occurs when install is at "Cortana choice page", for a short time I can see a "Disconnecting" message and then the screen became black, still on but...
  6. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  7. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  8. after the win7 to win10

after the win7 to win10: I see where everyone is talking about the oldwindows.folder, I don't have or have never seen it but I do have this "windowss7_os(C:)" that is part of my index under this pc. I had for the longest time 2 document folders. I did a search for the oldwindows.folder and the...
  9. Blue Screen problem after upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen problem after upgrading from win7 to win10: Hi, I have upgraded to windows 10 and found that the system keeps showing "blue screen" every hour. I had upgraded all drivers and no help. Please help. HarryAttachment 74535 47118
  10. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...