Windows 10: Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps

Discus and support Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I facing issue to change the default apps for few type of file. The option of always open with this apps also gone. So i tried to change the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Paul Lim Khian Hui, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps

I facing issue to change the default apps for few type of file. The option of always open with this apps also gone. So i tried to change the default apps in setting but even i able to see the other apps option but when i want to select it, the setting interface all gone. This situation keep happen, so i unable to change the default app.

:)

Paul Lim Khian Hui, Nov 22, 2018

2. Can't change default apps in Windows 10

Hi,

As per your description, you are unable to set a program as your default browser in Control Panel as it is not showing as an option. To provide you the best steps to resolve the issue, we need to isolate it with a few questions:

• When did it start happening?
    • Were there any changes made to your computer settings prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried going to Settings > Default Apps >
      Web Browser as what Yuri Nathan previously suggested?
    • Is the program showing when you go to Control Panel >
      Programs
      > Programs and feature?

Regards.

Angela Pun, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Nov 22, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

I just noticed that.. I'm on 1703, and that screen fails for me too the first time I tried it - it listed nothing, then Settings crashed.

But when I tried it again- after a lot of .... progress indication under the title, it worked.
    If on yours
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
    scrolls ok, then I suggest you consider re-registering Settings:
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

I suggest you experiment thus:
    Set aside issues related to Adobe for the moment.
    Install a free reader- like Sumatra.
    See if you can set that as default.
    If you can, then the problem centres around using Adobe.

dalchina, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps

1. Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps - Similar Threads - Windoa unable change

2. Unable to install and change default app save location.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install and change default app save location.: Hi, I have an issue where I am unable to install games from the microsoft store on my D: drive. When I got to the store and install try to install a game I will select my D: drive and press install but nothing will happen.I then tried to change deafult install location of...
  3. Unable to change default email app in Win 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change default email app in Win 10.: Hi, I get error message: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action, even though I selected Google Chrome as my email app....
  4. Unable to change default apps, as it switches back to TWINUI

Unable to change default apps, as it switches back to TWINUI: I am unable to change the default apps to the normal apps, they are set to Twinui and will not change when selecting another app. It just keeps reverting back to Twinui. ***Original title: Twinui not allow to change default apps.***...
  5. Unable to change default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  6. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...
  7. Unable to change default app for editing scripts in Windows 10

Unable to change default app for editing scripts in Windows 10: Background Recently I start to work a lot with JS and I often have to edit files with extensions like .js and .jsx. I am using Sublime Text 3 (Build 3176) to do the editing work. Problem As I am working with these files more and more frequently, I want to change the...
  8. Unable to change Windows 10 Default apps

Unable to change Windows 10 Default apps: I cannot changed the default apps on my laptop. I had one of your Microsoft agent try and repair Windows 10 Install Without Losing Apps & Data after giving them remote access, and it did not work. I STILL cannot change my default apps. I have already given two of your agents...
  9. Unable to change email default in Sony Playmemories app.

Unable to change email default in Sony Playmemories app.: I want to change my outlook to my gmail account to send a file thru Sony Playmemories. My default email is gmail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/unable-to-change-email-default-in-sony/a50f460d-0ff4-45d4-897e-87f785adbad5
  10. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type: I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 unable to change default apps

2. unable to set default apps in windows 10