Windows 10: Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

Discus and support Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, Unlike many I quite like Edge, the fact that it doesn’t have millions of add-ons is not a problem for me. However a couple of days ago I came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by taid, Jan 14, 2018.

1. taid Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

Hi,

Unlike many I quite like Edge, the fact that it doesn’t have millions of add-ons is not a problem for me. However a couple of days ago I came across one of Edge’s apparently well documented ‘funnies’ - it lost all my bookmarks. Luckily I’d saved these a month or so ago so I was able to partly rescue the situation. Before doing so I attempted a system restore only to be met with error 0x8007000. I uninstalled MalwareBytes but to no avail. I uninstalled Casper cloning software as I'd read that could adversly affect system restore, again to no avail. Uninstalling these gives me other errors but system restore always fails.

Invoking safe mode (shift+restart - Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - System Restore) appears to allow me to do a system restore BUT also flags up critical event 41 Kernel - Power errors in my Event Viewer...

Oh and it doesn’t restore Edge bookmarks - but maybe it shouldn’t...

Is there a way to make system restore work properly (I miss F8 in XP!) If this has been covered in previous posts, my apologies.

Thank You.

:)

2. C.MICALE Win User

How do I keep Windows 10 Version 1709 from installing?

Windows 10 Version 1709 was installed today but ended with printer problems and resulted in having to RESTORE to previous. After RESTORING, the system automatically checked for updates, downloaded the Version 1709 once again, and now wants to install
    it again! How do I prevent this update until it is FIXED and when will I know that it has been fixed?

C.MICALE, Jan 14, 2018
  3. JohnJ35 Win User
    Windows 10 Fall update 1709 has stopped PC from loading Windows

After running the 1709 windows 10 update on a Desktop PC, 3 days earlier, I cannot get to the Windows desktop. The update seemed OK initially but after 3 days I got an error message :-( Windows tries to repair the problem but fails. I can access the Advanced
    menu but the System Restore and System Image Recovery options do not work. I get a message indicating that there are no restore records. I did a successful restore 1 week earlier when I experienced problems with my first attempt to accept the update to Win
    10 1709. I cannot start the PC in Safe Mode. When I access the System Start up settings the Computer locks up.

Any guidance to help fix the problem will greatly appreciated.

JohnJ35, Jan 14, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Sorry, I can't tell you how to fix that particular problem with System Restore- it's not an obvious error number as far as I can see.
    Our view is that System Restore - when it works- can be helpful, but using a restore point doesn't always work.

System Restore does not affect or back up user data. It is not a well-defined feature- but does apply to drivers, system files, installed programs.

You can add Safe Mode to your boot options if you wish:
    Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

You can also boot to Advanced Startup options from the login screen (Power button, SHIFT + left click Restart)

dalchina, Jan 14, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Jan 14, 2018
  6. taid Win User
    dalchina- thanks for your input.

I did try the "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard” command hoping that would give me F8 option but I get an error message:-

The set command specified is not valid.
    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
    The parameter is incorrect.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

This doesn't appear to be my only issue as when I booted into Safe Mode using another method the search box did not bring up the usual System Restore options box.

Ed - thanks also for your input. I'm going to make saving a copy of my favourites a regular thing now...

computers - what would we do without them!

7. EdTittel Win User
    1. Have more free time, less stress, and other concerns.
    2. A different life?
    3. Less productivity, creativity, information.

A different ballgame completely, without computers. Let's leave it like it is for a while yet, please!?
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 15, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 15, 2018
  9. RolandJS Win User
    I'm wondering if the original Favorites folder is still intact byte-wise, not over-written yet.; however, finding that folder is going to take a data recovery utility that can search on a known favorite file or text within a known file; hopefully, if one favorite URL (file) is found, the rest maybe can be recovered.

RolandJS, Jan 16, 2018
  10. taid Win User
    Thanks for all your suggestions - I think I may just have to save a copy of my Edge favourites as and when I remember and be prepared for the worse...

Dalchina - thanks for the F8 links. Unfortunately they don't work.

Accessing Safe Mode from Windows via settings (a looong procedure) gets me there but interestingly when I enter 'restore' in the search box in Safe Mode it brings up the System Properties box as usual BUT the System Protection tab is missing !

As someone mentioned it appears System Restore in W10 may be a bit hit and miss. Also if I do a System Restore and get the message to say that all has gone well, the actual restore point is not subsequently listed...

Strange...

11. dalchina New Member
    Yep, I warned you- probably won't work if you have fast boot enabled as well. Point is, the boot mechanism has been changed so the likelihood of you hitting F8 at the right time is much much lower than it was.

Try added Safe Mode to your boot options (post #2).

And use disk imaging routinely e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ) - so many advantages. (Hint- you can mount and explore a disk image and extract files from it if you wish).

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems... [​IMG]

- note the daily restore point I have scheduled.. there's a tutorial on how to set that up.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  12. taid Win User
    Dalchina said >Yep, I warned you< I know and I did take note !!!

I have fast boot turned off. It doesn't appear to have any significant effect on this machine - apart from throwing up kernel errors in the Event Viewer when it's on.

I have had problems following a couple of the tutorials in that I'm essentially unable to run the appropriate commands from the 'elevated command prompt'. At the risk of showing myself up to be a numpty - I'm presuming that the option of selecting Windows Power Shell (Admin) via right-clicking the start button is the same ? I can run SFC from here so I presume I'm in the right place. When I try to run the required command as instructed in the tutorials I get the error - 'The set command specified is not valid'

Incidentally I use Casper to clone my SSD to an external HD. This runs off an external PSU so when not actually cloning the power is turned off so it 'should' not be visible to the outside world...

Thanks again for your help.

13. dalchina New Member

If stuck launching a command prompt, try Windows key + X

dalchina, Jan 22, 2018
  14. taid Win User
    dalchina >If stuck launching a command prompt, try Windows key + X <

Right clicking the Windows logo (start button?) at the bottom left of screen works and does the same. I can go there where some of the options are - run/Windows PowerShell/Windows PowerShell(Admin). Problem is that some of the Tutorial commands won't run from any of these options...

Thanks for your patience.

15. dalchina New Member
    Please could you post a couple of screenshots including the whole frame showing the command and the result.

To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems... [​IMG]

That's what I see Windows key + X... is yours missing those?

This may help:
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    I think the default changed to Powershell for most people - either it didn't or me, or I used the option given in that tutorial to reinstate the command prompt (but I don't think I did!)

dalchina, Jan 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems... - Similar Threads - 1709 System Restore

2. System Restore Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Problems: Evening.A bit earlier today I attempted to open a program I use often on my computer that caused it to blue screen. This was a first for me. After this happened a few times I managed to navigate my way through the blue screens of Advanced Startup Options back to a point where...
  3. System Restore Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Problems: Evening.A bit earlier today I attempted to open a program I use often on my computer that caused it to blue screen. This was a first for me. After this happened a few times I managed to navigate my way through the blue screens of Advanced Startup Options back to a point where...
  4. Problems in Windows 10 with Update and System Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems in Windows 10 with Update and System Restore: Windows 10 update fails, System Restore does not work, Error Code 0x81000203, Bitlocker files are missing, and I removed my personal Microsoft account from my device, and now my files are missing - only used an external drive for File History until 02 January 2022 - now I've...
  5. Problems in Windows 10 with Update and System Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems in Windows 10 with Update and System Restore: Windows 10 update fails, System Restore does not work, Error Code 0x81000203, Bitlocker files are missing, and I removed my personal Microsoft account from my device, and now my files are missing - only used an external drive for File History until 02 January 2022 - now I've...
  6. Problems in Windows 10 with Update and System Restore

7. System restore problem

System restore problem: Whenever I do a system restore on my PC it always gets a blue screen error and I can't understand why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-problem/44f71fa6-de4b-47cf-b106-d3e03a974b3f
  8. Problems with my restore system Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with my restore system Windows 10.: Hello Everybody! I am AlmogaversSerra, from Barcelona. I would like to ask for help because I had a problem of malware in my PC and I made the "Restore System process" to an earlier date in my Windows 10 system. It was 24th of march and I wanted to do the restore in...
  9. Windows 10 system image restore problem

Windows 10 system image restore problem: I have a system image on a 2TB externat drive. I need to restore it to my computer. The system sees the drive and in the command prompt can access the system image folder but the "system image restore" in the Troubleshooter on either a USB drive or the "system repair disk" or...
  10. Windows 10 problem with system restore

Windows 10 problem with system restore: I have a HP Notebook with Windows 10 I have tried 4 times to do a System Restore and all of them have failed, because it says that I have an anti virus program running. I disabled all anti virus before doing my System Restore. Can someone help explain how to get pass this...