Windows 10: Windows 10 1809 - New users login and only shows 3 items in start menu

Discus and support Windows 10 1809 - New users login and only shows 3 items in start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I created a "golden" image for distribution and found that when a new user logs in the start menu only shows a few items. Cortana, edge and one more I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Brob2820, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Brob2820 Win User

Windows 10 1809 - New users login and only shows 3 items in start menu

I created a "golden" image for distribution and found that when a new user logs in the start menu only shows a few items. Cortana, edge and one more I cant remember. When the user logs off and back in the entire start menu looks correct. I am using a def start menu .xml setup in GPO.

I have copied the ntuser.dat and all associated default settings to the default user, everything works upon a second login. In version 1607 (our current distribution) this issue does not exist - seems to be related to 1809.

Any assistance would be appreciated, and please dont send the typical system restore/check files/run trouble shoot wizard as these are pointless to my issue.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Brob2820, Dec 12, 2018

2. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Dec 12, 2018
  4. #VSingh Win User

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

I have tried till the troubleshooter and got this

"Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.

Now how do install these applications

#VSingh, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1809 - New users login and only shows 3 items in start menu - Similar Threads - 1809 users login

2. Mac user new to Windows: Searching for menu items?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mac user new to Windows: Searching for menu items?: I'm using Adobe Creative Suite programs on Windows for the first time. On Mac I was used to being able to use the search bar under the "Help" menu whenever I couldn't remember under which other menu a certain item was. I would type in the name of the item, and the menu to...
  3. Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?: The same way recently added items are shown (or any other way that isnt just a shortcut)? I have the same question for the left pane in file explorer. Is it possible to show a list like quick acess with only recent items? I know quick access can show them too. Im just...
  4. Windows 10 1809 won't show login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 1809 won't show login: Hi I've noticed this rare behavior on 2 machine so far, where the login screen will not appear after boot up, you press anything and the clock comes back Only a reboot will fix this.. Any clues?...
  5. Windows 10 1809 Start Menu will not work!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1809 Start Menu will not work!: I use a ton of programs like Steam, VirtualBox and a few others. My ASUS is running Windows 10, version 1809 - I have problems all the time. This problem is where my start menu files are corrupted. I also cannot access the internet because Microsoft Edge won't work, and it's...
  6. Rename start menu item Windows 10

Rename start menu item Windows 10: I have installed different versions of an application but they all appear as "ABC application". How can I can name each one uniquely ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-start-menu-item-windows-10/db44fa34-1d71-4466-b7b9-94644bb88dc5
  7. Windows 10 1809 start menu tiles only showing down arrows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1809 start menu tiles only showing down arrows: I've tried EVERY fix posted/available and NOTHING works. The only thing I haven't tried is doing a fresh install because I don't feel I should have to considering the previous versions (1709 and 1803) were both clean installs and I never had a problem with the start menu....
  8. Windows 10 1809 start menu tiles only showing down arrows

Windows 10 1809 start menu tiles only showing down arrows: I've tried EVERY fix posted/available and NOTHING works. The only thing I haven't tried is doing a fresh install because I don't feel I should have to considering the previous versions (1709 and 1803) were both clean installs and I never had a problem with the start menu....
  9. Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles

Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles: Here's my current scenario... I have windows 10 1709 deployed to my organization via MDT. As part of the MDT deployment process I have implemented a specific start menu using the Import-StartLayout method in my task sequence. This has worked great and all my shortcuts...
  10. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222