Windows 10: Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book

Discus and support Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Was happily running Windows 10 and decided to upgrade to 1903. After Windows 10 1903 update and subsequent PC reset, the system failed to boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkKd1, Jul 6, 2019.

1. MarkKd1 Win User

Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book

Was happily running Windows 10 and decided to upgrade to 1903. After Windows 10 1903 update and subsequent PC reset, the system failed to boot properly. Tried to use Recovery from the cloud (Failed) using my recovery key and then Advanced Options to Go Back to previous version (Failed), System Restore (Failed), and Startup Repair (Failed).

Tried using a USB Windows installation image. Upgrade option did not work as no previous version of Windows was detected. Tried new install which also does not work. No partitions (1-4) on Drive 0 are able to be used to install Windows: Partition 1 System (229MB free/260MB total) is an EFI not NFS partition. Partition 2 MSR (Reserved) (128MB free/128 total) is reserved. Partition 3 Primary (237.3GB free/237.3GB total): "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. BitLocker Drive Encryption is enabled on the selected partition. Suspend (also referred to as disable) BitLocker in the Control Panel, and then restart the installation." Partition 4 Recovery (457MB free/860 total) is the recovery partition. Appreciate your help in fixing the Surface Book.

Regards,

Mark

:)

MarkKd1, Jul 6, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jul 6, 2019
  3. hlyates Win User
    Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop

Problem

I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment.

I have some files that Edge corrupted when it downloaded them, but will not let me delete. So I quickly looked online and it suggested that I go to systems configuration and reboot in safe mode (so I could delete them). Unfortunately, I did not select safe
    mode with networking. Now I am stuck in a vicious loop where I cannot authenticate into Windows because it cannot accept my password (because of the lack of networking). This password is the same for my windows live account, so it cannot authenticate without
    networking.

I have used the shift key to reboot my surface book into the special menu and told it to reboot into safe mode + networking (F5), but it is still stuck in the safe mode + without networking. If I attempt a restore, repair, and or any other way to get out
    of this safe mode, it defaults into asking for my windows password...continuing my vicious loop. Every option I have tried on my surface book 2 (command prompt, restore, repair) will ask for authentication and continue the loop.

Question

I do not have a recovery Windows 10 recovery USB, but would this help? I have an old surface book pro 4, but my concern is that the USB recovery drive that I would create on that surface 4 would harm my surface book 2 if I attempted a restore off of it (driver
    differences/etc). Is there anyway I can use this USB recovery drive to get into a command prompt though and run the msconfig command and get back into Windows 10 proper on surface book 2?

Basically, what is the best way forward for me to get out of the vicious loop above? I'm losing a lot of productivity by having this surface book 2 bricked. Any suggestions, tips, comments that can be offered to get me out of this issue would be greatly
    appreciated.

hlyates, Jul 6, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jul 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book - Similar Threads - 1903 Bricked Surface

2. Surface Book

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Book: I cannot install chrome browser on my Surface Book https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-book/cda81878-dcdf-4625-9a44-7fe9e31ab73b
  3. Bricked my Surface Pro?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Bricked my Surface Pro?: I have a Surface Pro 7. I decided to change my PIN as I forgot both my PIN and my Password. I always use Windows Hello but for some reason it doesn't work sometimes and requires a PIN. Anyway, I changed my PIN successfully, and restarted my device. Now, I now cannot...
  4. Windows 10 1903 Update Bricked My Computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1903 Update Bricked My Computer: A bit of a background, I could never install the 1903 update, it always said that my computer wasn't compatible with the new update. I have an Nvidia graphics card and a lot of other people have had the same issue. So fast forward to today, when the 1903 update got...
  5. Surface Book 2 on 1903 BSOD - NDIS.SYS - Surface Dock Ethernet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Book 2 on 1903 BSOD - NDIS.SYS - Surface Dock Ethernet: Hello All, Currently I have 6 Surface Book 2's all with the same issue. The Ethernet Adapter on the Surface Docks will connect and disconnect on repeat, once a second until eventually the SB2 will blue screen. There is roughly 150 Surface book 2's, 200 Surface Laptop 2's...
  6. Trackpad on Surface Book 2 w/ 1903 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trackpad on Surface Book 2 w/ 1903 update: Hello, Have a user's trackpad that has had huge issues since 1903 was installed, i did a double check of the trackpad drivers and it's stating an Intel driver from 2006 is the best one. I just applied the Surface Book 2 Driver and Firmware package yesterday (I had applied...
  7. Windows 10 version 1903 reportedly causing issues on Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1903 reportedly causing issues on Surface Book 2: Microsoft’s Windows 10 May 2019 Update is not going well with the GPU drivers on a small number of Surface Book 2 devices. People on forums and Reddit are complaining about freezing and app crashing issues on some Surface Book 2 models after upgrading to Windows 10 version...
  8. Surface Book - Windows 10 - BSOD

Surface Book - Windows 10 - BSOD: Hi, I have a MS Surface Book (which is awesome, or was) lately I'm continuously getting BSOD, 5 times today. I've run all the MS hardware checkers and they do not show a physical fault. The laptop shows no more windows update and it at version 1809 (OS Build 11763.134),...
  9. Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop: Problem I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment. I have some files that Edge corrupted when it downloaded them, but will not let me delete. So I quickly looked online and it suggested that I go to systems configuration and...
  10. Surface Book

Surface Book: can I download icloud onto my Surface Book and if so how? want to import pics stored there from my iPhone. tried to trf directrly from the iPhone but they are held as optimised files and don't have enough storage to de-optimised if that makes sense. hope you can help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface go bricked by upgrade

2. 1903 issues surface book 1

3. 1903 recovery usb surface

4. 1903 surface recovery usb