Windows 10: Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light

Discus and support Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I have 2 machines (1 was an upgrade install to 1903 the other was a clean install). Both nvidia cards, 1080ti and a 2080 in the other (1 has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WindwardBaton7, May 6, 2019.

1. Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light

Hi there,

I have 2 machines (1 was an upgrade install to 1903 the other was a clean install). Both nvidia cards, 1080ti and a 2080 in the other (1 has the latest nvidia drivers the other has the very last version prior to the latest). Both intel 8700k processors.

what is happening: i keep the night light mode always on, and prior to 1903 (when i was using 1809), when i play a game (full screen) the nightlight mode would turn off in game. when i alt tab to windows, night light was enabled. when i jumped back into a game, it was disabled. no issues.

when i upgraded to 1903 (both the clean install machine and the upgrade), when i have night light on, and go in game and alt tab, the night light remains off in windows, this never happened in 1809.

not limited to games, but in both machines using 1903, sometimes when i start the computer, the night light mode is disabled. trying to turn it on does nothing, and rebooting fixes it. but if happens enough now where i suspect this is not a one off, and the fact it happens on both my computers, and when i go back to 1809 there are no issues.

i also tried flux, but it did the same thing where it would sometimes when you turn on the computer be off, and no way to enable it without rebooting.

lastly, i noticed when the display goes to sleep (the monitor, not the computer), night light is disabled. You can turn it back on, but the monitor being put to sleep effectlivley disabled night light mode from running on 1903, but not on 1809.

somehow i think this is all connected, something in 1903 with night light mode is not working properly like it did in 1809.

computer stats:

Machine 1 (upgrade to 1903):

32gb ram
    970 evo 1tb
    nvidia 2080 FE
    nivida driver 425.31
    monitor asus 32inch running at 75hz (non-gsync)
    Machine 2 (clean install to 1903):

32gb ram
    970 pro 512gb
    evga 1080ti hybrid FTW3
    nivida driver 430.39
    monitor lg 31.5inch 144hz g-sync

:)

WindwardBaton7, May 6, 2019
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Night light

Hi,

There are several reasons why you are having issues turning on or off the Night Light settings of your Windows 10 PC after the update. To troubleshoot your Night Light settings, we suggest that you apply the steps on this

thread
    that was provided by SurenderKhokhar on April 15, 2017.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Eric Ber, May 6, 2019
  3. No Night Light

Hi allisonb1

Try these steps

Option 1. Reset Night Light-related Settings on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

If you find the night light in the Action Center or the Settings is greyed out after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you can fix it with the steps below:

Step 1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + i to open Settings.

Step 2. Go to the Privacy menu.

Step 3. On the left side, choose the Location tab.

Step 4. Click the Change button under the Location for this device.

Step 5. Toggle the switch under the Location for this device to ON.

Step 6. Toggle the switch under the Location service to ON.

Step 7. Restart the computer.

Now check the Action Center or the Settings on your Windows 10 Fall Creators Update to see if the night light feature is available.

Option 2 . Modify Registry to Fix Night Light Not Working on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

If the methods above didn't work, you may need to modify the registry to fix the greyed-out night light button or the night light not working issue. Note: Windows Registry is a vital database on Windows OS computer. Any misoperation will cause server system
    problems, such as 100% disk usage issue, blue screen issue, endless reboot, etc. So it's important to backup registry before the changes.

Now let's kill the night light not working and release the pain:

Step 1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch Run.

Step 2. Type into regedit.

Step 3. Hit the Enter key.

Step 4. Copy and paste the path into the address bar of the Registry Editor: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

Step 5. Press the Enter key.

Step 6. Right-click the key $$windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate under the DefaultAccount and select the Delete to remove it.

Step 7. Right-click the key $$windows.data.bluelightreduction.settings and select the Delete.

Step 8. Restart the computer.

Then you can go to the Action Center or the Windows Settings. The night light not working issue has been resolved now and the night light button is available.

Source:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73518-turn-...

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/night-l...

Wilfredo_Soto, May 6, 2019
  4. Nick Dich Win User

Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light

Night Light

Hi,

We recently have been receiving posts regarding Night Light after the Windows 10 Creators Update. To help you troubleshoot the issue regarding Night Light settings that are grayed out, we suggest to try to apply the steps provided by SurenderKhokhar
    on this thread:
    Cant use Night Light In Window 10

Kindly keep us posted for any feedback.

Nick Dich, May 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light

1. Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light - Similar Threads - 1903 may update

2. night light

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    night light: i just updated my computer and now the night light isn't working. I have tried restarting and logging off but nothing. it says its on but the light doesn't change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/night-light/3db35801-de99-47fa-a530-69bfd713d5f3
  3. Night Light

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Night Light: Hi, I use f.lux to control the blue light filter, as I started using it before Creator's Update. I wanted to know if Windows 10's Night Light can adapt the intensity of the filter depending on the time. f.lux is crescendo throughout the night warming colors and so,...
  4. night light

in Windows 10 Customization
    night light: my nightlight quit working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/night-light/3c875bcd-a76f-46ac-aec3-83ee7302f284
  5. Night light

Night light: night light turns on automatically when I turn my screen on after sometime of inactivity. It has been happening since I updated windows 10 to version 1903. I can't turn it off unless I restart my computer. How can I fix this?...
  6. Windows 10 1903 - Night Light (Built in function) problem...

Windows 10 1903 - Night Light (Built in function) problem...: Since updating to the latest Win 10 version "1903" my Night Light function has stopped working like it should be, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... Sometimes a simple rebooting fixes the problem but now it just seems totally deactivated no matter how many reboots I...
  7. Windows 10 1903 May 2019, "BUG" Night light

Windows 10 1903 May 2019, "BUG" Night light: I found a bug in the night light of the build of Window 10 the 1903, in practice if you turn off and restart the pc, and then we go to activate it it doesn't work while enabling the icon ... If you restart the pc and try to activate it again it works. The video drivers are...
  8. Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light mode)

Windows 10 1903 (may update) Breaks Night Light (built in night light mode): Hi there, I have 2 machines (1 was an upgrade install to 1903 the other was a clean install). Both nvidia cards, 1080ti and a 2080 in the other (1 has the latest nvidia drivers the other has the very last version prior to the latest). Both intel 8700k processors. what...
  9. NIGHT LIGHT

NIGHT LIGHT: Okay so hey yah. I just got my laptop back from hp repairing my keyboard and now my brightness WONT GO DOWN! I can not enjoy my laptop because of the strain on my eyes. I tried to turn on the night light setting thing and its greyed-out. I have no access to it. I tried...
  10. No Night Light

No Night Light: I do not have the Night Light feature although I believe that I have my Windows updated to the latest version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/no-night-light/897c6f1c-5d8a-449f-acec-5617643d4765