Windows 10: Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10 Your display emits blue lightthe kind of light... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ClassicD, May 21, 2017.

1. ClassicD Win User

Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10

Your display emits blue lightthe kind of light you see during the daywhich can keep you up at night. To help you get to sleep, turn on night light and your display will show warmer colors at night that are easier on your eyes.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15002, you can now turn on or off blue light reduction.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15014, Microsoft has adjusted the animation when lowering blue light to be a bit smoother. They also made some polish tweaks to Blue Light Settings with more coming soon.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15019, the "blue light" feature has been renamed to night light to make it more accurately reflect what the feature does. Microsoft made some improvements to the night light feature that lets you preview the setting before applying it.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15025, the night light color temperature range has been extended to go down to very red (1200 K) and the entire range of the slider now works correctly.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off night light to reduce blue light for your account in Windows 10.

Devices with DisplayLink or Basic Display Driver graphics drivers, or devices using HDR, do not support the night light feature. If your night light toggle is grayed out, you may need to update your display driver.

Contents
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Night Light in Action Center
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Night Light in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Night Light Schedule in Settings
    • Option Four: To Change Night Light Schedule in Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Night Light in Action Center
    1 Open Action Center.

2 Click/tap on the Night light button to toggle it on or off. (see screenshots below)

Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Night Light in Settings
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2 Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Night light settings link under Brightness and color on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 Click/tap on the Turn on now or Turn off now button for what you want, and adjust the Strength slider for the color temperature at night level you want. (see screenshot below)

You can hover the pointer on the slider to see the current strength level. 48 is the default strength level.

If you have the Night light schedule turned on, then night light will only stay turned on or off until the scheduled time you have set.

Our member s0urce has provided the color temperatures in Kelvin for the strength percentage level:

Code:

4 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Night Light Schedule in Settings

2 Click/tap on Display on the left side, and turn on or off Night light schedule under Brightness and color on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Night Light Schedule in Settings

2 Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Night light settings link under Brightness and color on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 If you haven't already, you will need to turn on Schedule night light to be able to change its settings. (see screenshot below)

4 Do step 5 (sunset) or step 6 (set hours) for the schedule you want to use.

5. To Use "Sunset to sunrise" Schedule
    A) Select (dot) Sunset to sunrise, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

You will need to turn on Location services to use sunset.

6. To Use "Set hours" Schedule
    A) Select (dot) Set hours. (see screenshot below)

B) Set the time you want to automatically Turn on and Turn off blue light reduction, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7 You can now close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ClassicD, May 21, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 21, 2017
  3. vbpete01 Win User
    vbpete01, May 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ClassicD, *Smile

Sometimes updating your graphics driver to the latest version helps.

If that doesn't help, then you might see if downloading and merging the .reg file below to recover Night Light Default data may.

*Arrow Night_Light.reg

(contents)

Code: [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\$$windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\$$windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate\Current] "Data"=hex:02,00,00,00,26,a9,0c,cc,2b,d3,d2,01,00,00,00,00,43,42,01,00,c6,14,\ ad,99,b0,e0,bc,e5,b4,e9,01,00 [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\$$windows.data.bluelightreduction.settings] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\$$windows.data.bluelightreduction.settings\Current] "Data"=hex:02,00,00,00,e4,cb,20,ce,2b,d3,d2,01,00,00,00,00,43,42,01,00,ca,14,\ 0e,15,00,ca,1e,0e,07,00,ca,32,0e,14,2e,22,00,ca,3c,0e,06,2e,16,00,00[/quote]

Brink, May 21, 2017
  5. ClassicD Win User
    Thanks Brink for your reply.

Oh dear i wish i never enabled this feature. The reg file only worked once, it stays on whether i enable or disable. Its been slightly frustrating to be honest. I need to restart PC to keep it off.

i have seen this a lot causing issues, some websites actually advise to reinstall windows...

ClassicD, May 21, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You shouldn't need to reinstall Windows for this. That's a pretty big sledgehammer fix.

Did you update your graphics driver?

Brink, May 22, 2017
  7. ClassicD Win User
    Yea fully updated. Thats what i thought, surley thats too extreme due to a simple windows feature, didn't hold much hope for the future.

I have disabled the feature now, it always starts around 9pm GMT so i will find out later if it has worked.

Thanks

ClassicD, May 22, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I look forward to hearing your results.

Brink, May 22, 2017
  9. ClassicD Win User
    Thanks for your enthusiasm Brink, all worked ok!

ClassicD, May 23, 2017
  10. Hi Brink,
    You've got some great Holiday Attire. Nice.
    -
    I read this thread hoping to find a desktop shortcut to turn nightlight on and off as well as adjust the color temperature.
    Might that be too much to dream about for a Christmas surprise? *chuckle

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season!

jdUnionngarden, Dec 6, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello JD, *Smile

Thank you. I hope you will have a great holiday season as well.

If you like, you could toggle Night Light on/off pretty easily via the Action Center (Option 1).

You could also create a shortcut using the location below that will open directly to Night Light settings to help make it easier to change them.

*Arrow ms-settings:nightlight

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  12. I see "Run ms-settings:nightlight" gives me the settings location I need, but am not sure how to make a shortcut from that.
    Thanks,
    *Smile

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

No problem.

You would just type ms-settings:nightlight into the location field like below when creating a new shortcut.

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  14. Great, nice to learn something new every day.
    Thanks again!

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Night Light in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Night

2. Night Light wont turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Night Light wont turn off: I recently had my laptop repaired but for whatever reason now night light wont turn off, ive tried deleting the settings from the registry editor but they keep returning after i restart the computer, ive also tried redownloading my drivers and have even tried resetting my...
  3. Windows 10 Night Light won't turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Night Light won't turn off: Around a year or so ago I set the windows 10 blue light filter "night light" to turn on at around 9:15 PM and end at around 7 AM, now I'd like it gone completely. Problem is night light doesn't want to turn off. When I turn night light off in settings in does nothing, and...
  4. Night Light won't turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Night Light won't turn off: My Night Light setting is turned off, no schedule no nothing. I have updated drivers, restarted the computer, re-installed drivers, deleted Night Light files but nothing helps. If I go to my display settings my night light will turn off and the screen will look normal, but...
  5. Night Light not turning off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light not turning off: Just 2 days ago the night light setting is no longer working for me, i try to disable it from action center and from settings but it keeps closing the settings window and stays on, I have tried a lot of things to help but nothing has worked so far....
  6. Night Light Turning Off

Night Light Turning Off: I have a Surface Pro X and have been having this issue for a while now: When I turn on the Night Light and have the scheduled setting on, the night light "turns off" after my device goes to sleep for a bit and then wakes back up, even if it's after sunset. When I swipe in...
  7. On Windows 10, Night Light refuses to turn off.

On Windows 10, Night Light refuses to turn off.: I looked up solutions, and they all seemed to follow these kinds of results (https://pureinfotech.com/fix-night-light-windows-10-creators-update/). I followed everything on that website besides clean-installing Windows. Can anyone PLEASE help me turn off this God awful...
  8. Night Light won't turn off

Night Light won't turn off: I'm using Windows 10 Home Single Language Ver 1909. I turned on Night Light mode on once, and since then i can never disable it. The on/off switch on Night Light doesn't do anything. After restarting my laptop turned back to normal but after 15-20mins it automatically back to...
  9. Night light won't turn off

Night light won't turn off: So after the 1903 update, I have been having issues with the night light. It has been set to a schedule, which kinda helps, but once it activates I can't turn it off. A simple restart use to work until a couple of weeks ago, now that doesn't even work. Turning it off in...
  10. Windows 10 Night Light won't turn off

Windows 10 Night Light won't turn off: Hi, I have Windows 10 1903. Every driver is updated. I can't turn off my Night Light. I had it turned on on schedule but now i don't want to use it anymore. When i start my laptop it changes to night light even when i have night light turned off. Signing out and in helps...