Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everybody, Windows 10 2004 still has the bug, that the data about the time of the last operation and the current status are not saved. In some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Martin Fessler, May 30, 2020.

1. Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

Hello everybody,

Windows 10 2004 still has the bug, that the data about the time of the last operation and the current status are not saved.

In some forums I have read, that therefore the planned optimization should be disabled, otherwise Windows would run it after every reboot.
    Others say, it is just a "blemish" and the planned optimization is controlled in another way.

What is your experience?
    At least according to the history of the corresponding task ScheduledDefrag, it seams that it doesn't start on every boot.

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

:)

Martin Fessler, May 30, 2020

2. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, May 30, 2020
  3. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 30, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

Why is Windows defragging my SSD?

Hello @bumboola, Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug :)

Usually, Windows 10 will TRIM a SSD if TRIM support is enabled.

TRIM support is enabled by default in Windows 10, but you might verify using the method in the tutorial below to rule that out as a possible reason why defrag instead of TRIM is being used on the SSD.

Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

If you like as a test, try the PowerShell command in step 4 of Option Three below to see if shows the SSD as being Trimmed in PowerShell.

Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

1. Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug - Similar Threads - 2004 Defrag Trim

2. Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.: Hey tere, today I have opened the disk defragmenter tool and performed defragmentation, and I saw that the windows is trimming the harddisk instead of defragmenting it, which is used by the SSD to trim them. I want to ask that if it is an error or if it is not a problem that...
  3. Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is Trimming Harddisk instead of Defragmenting.: Hey tere, today I have opened the disk defragmenter tool and performed defragmentation, and I saw that the windows is trimming the harddisk instead of defragmenting it, which is used by the SSD to trim them. I want to ask that if it is an error or if it is not a problem that...
  4. W10 Trimming/defragging at the same time with only 1 SSD?Bug?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 Trimming/defragging at the same time with only 1 SSD?Bug?: [ATTACH] 1 2 3 Noticed my pc "optimized my pc" but is this supposed to be normal?Are you supposed to get both confirmations when I only have 1 main SSD? submitted by /u/wiseude [link] [comments]...
  5. Has the Windows 10 2004 Defrag/Trim issue been resolved yet?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Has the Windows 10 2004 Defrag/Trim issue been resolved yet?: Hi. I purchased an HP Desktop with an SSD drive (1st SSD drive I've had. I haven't set it up yet as I want to use it as a replacement if my current Desktop fails (it's very healthy right now). I got a good buy on the new pc which had very good reviews so I went for it. (I...
  6. Is Windows 10 Defragging SSDs and TRIM-ing HDDs exclusive to version 2004 and is it an...

Is Windows 10 Defragging SSDs and TRIM-ing HDDs exclusive to version 2004 and is it an...: Hey guys. I've just checked the Event Viewer for "Defrag" event to see whether the recent "issue" exists in previous version of Windows 10 (1909). Here is the album where it can be seen that both defrag and TRIM have been done to both SSD and HDD. The events are not shown...
  7. Defrag Bug

Defrag Bug: Does anyone have any idea how to prevent Windows from doing it? Do i just go here and disable "Scheduled optimization" on all drives? I have 2 SSDs (one M.2 NVME, one SATA) and 1 HDD. An update released yesterday, perhaps that fixed it? How often do i need to trim my SSDs and...
  8. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch: OS: Windows 10 v2004 According to this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk, Microsoft has screwed up the defrag function in the latest update. What I found on my 4 Windows 10 PCs (all updated to Ver 2004) is that PCs with a combination of SSDs and...
  9. Can't disable SSD defrag bug in Windows 10 2004

Can't disable SSD defrag bug in Windows 10 2004: Hello. So I have a laptop with this new version of Windows 10, and it only has one SSD unit (C:), so when I try to choose which units should not defrag automatically, it doesn't let me save my changes, as it's the only unit. https://imgur.com/a/oACqyLj 4 screenshots of the...
  10. Windows 10 2004 optimization/defrag bug

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 optimization/defrag bug: Hi all I've just completed the Windows 10 2004 upgrade and I have noticed 2 issues. 1. When I manually trim my SSD in the drive defrag/optimize tool in windows and I reboot it says 'never optimized' when i go back. I heard this was a bug in insider preview which they...