Windows 10: Windows 10 All Apps menu not showing shortcuts

Discus and support Windows 10 All Apps menu not showing shortcuts in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 64-bit; 8 GB RAM I've been advised that the folder: c:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Budfudder, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Budfudder Win User

Windows 10 All Apps menu not showing shortcuts

Running Windows 10 64-bit; 8 GB RAM

I've been advised that the folder:

c:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

contains the folders and shortcuts that are shown in the All Apps menu.

However, there are some programs and folders in there that don't show up in the All Apps menu. For example, I just installed a new program, and the installation created a folder for the app in that folder - and that folder shows up in the All Apps menu, great. But if I then manually add a shortcut to that folder, it doesn't show up in the All Apps menu.

What am I missing? Is there some extra step I don't know about?

Basically, I want to configure my All Apps menu, moving/creating shortcuts and folders, and what I find online isn't working.

Thanks for any help.

:)

Budfudder, Jan 10, 2017

2. Shortcuts to non-EXE files (such as JAR files) do not appear in Windows 10 start menu search

I have the same issue.

I like to create shortcuts for documents like Help Files (with .chm extension) and place those shortcuts in my Start Menu folder. In Windows 7 these shortcuts show up in Start Menu searches. In Windows 10, they
    do not show up. How annoying.

I can see them in the "All apps" list, but that's no good to me, I need them to come up in Start Menu searches as they should (IMO).

Michal_749, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Start menu "all apps" not showing all apps (<500 entries)

Hi,

I would suggest you to perform a SFC Scan and check if it helps.

Refer to the following link given below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: While performing SFC Scan I would recommend you to make sure that there are no applications or programs running on the back ground.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Jan 10, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Budfudder and welcome to TenForums *Smile

Have a look at this tutorial. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

You will see that there is more than one location that is used for the Start menu items. The various options given in the tutorial should help you sort out your start menu. Also check the comments in the tutorial thread as they have some helpful suggestions.

philc43, Jan 10, 2017
  5. Budfudder Win User
    Thanks a lot.

I went to that location, and did the first step - copy and paste the folder location %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs into Explorer.

Immediately I can see there are problems - the first group shown in the folder (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) does not show in my All Apps menu. Looking further, I can see that:

- my All Apps menu contains both groups and items that are not in the folder location (I assume they are getting these from some other location, but I don't know where - it's not C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, which is where I expected to find them)
    - the folder location contains both groups and items that are not shown in my All Apps menu.
    Is something corrupted?

Budfudder, Jan 10, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I recommend you consider using Classic Shell (CS) which is far more configurable than the Start Menu. You can configure CS so mouse hover opens CS and left mouse click opens the Start Menu - so you can use whichever menu you want.

Steve C, Jan 11, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    Don't forget that we are only dealing with the desktop apps in these folders. There are also the newer Windows Store Apps that are different and their shortcuts are buried elsewhere in the system and can't be accessed as far as I know. The only way to remove them from the All Apps menu is to completely uninstall the program. Reading through the comments to the end of the thread in the tutorial I highlighted will show how difficult it is to manage these folders, shortcuts inside sub-folders do not always show up.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 All Apps menu not showing shortcuts - Similar Threads - Apps menu showing

2. Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10: Hello All. Running win10 on my laptop and have to click the "all apps" on the start menu to see all programs. I go to Settings > Personalization > Start but the option to Show app list in Start menu does not exist. Is there any other way to show all apps in the start menu? Or...
  3. Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10: Hello All. Running win10 on my laptop and have to click the "all apps" on the start menu to see all programs. I go to Settings > Personalization > Start but the option to Show app list in Start menu does not exist. Is there any other way to show all apps in the start menu? Or...
  4. Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All windows 10 app including start menu disappeared. When open app shortcut, displayed...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All windows 10 app including start menu disappeared. When open app shortcut, displayed...: The problem begins when I tried to access the WindowsApps folder for launching f1 2019 through steam. I went to the property tap of said folder and changed in security, advance to add my user account, administrators, and my Microsoft account for full control access and...
  6. SendTo: context menu doesnt show all the shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    SendTo: context menu doesnt show all the shortcuts: Most of my scripts stored in the SendTo folder, but some with other extension don't show. Eg. script.ahk dont show, but script.exe does, any idea how to solve this? Thanks! ps: (In the properties of the file or shortcuts, the "hidden" attributes box is unchecked. So it's...
  7. 3rd party Apps not showing in all apps menu

3rd party Apps not showing in all apps menu: I apologise for posting this problem again, but seem to have exhausted options, so hoped by starting a new thread, may get some new ideas. Installed Apps not showing in all apps menu. resolved the same problem on my laptop, by running a script provided by Cliff S, but...
  8. "All apps" menu not showing ANY apps installed on machine

"All apps" menu not showing ANY apps installed on machine: Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and was excited to find it as there are a lot of people giving great answers to Windows 10 problems and I sadly ran into one recently. I have had Windows 10 installed for about 4 months now and things have been going decent. A couple...
  9. Desktop shortcut to display Alphabetic menu for All Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut to display Alphabetic menu for All Apps: I have seen several threads where people want to remove this feature but in my case it is actually easier to use than scrolling down through 10 to 20 pages of programs listed by letter to get to "X" for "Xcopy+" for example. Is there a way to make a desktop shortcut one-click...
  10. Start Menu default showing all apps?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu default showing all apps?: I recently installed windows 10 on an old notebook and for some reason the start menu looks like this: [img] I don't want it to show the alphabetical list of all the apps by default. On all my other computers the start menu looks more like this one....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft shortcut menue not appearing