Windows 10: Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users

Discus and support Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Many Many Thanks & Mahalos to all of you who have found ways to solve this windows store and apps problem and shared your advice and solutions. With... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KoenD, Feb 15, 2016.

1. jtwill Win User

Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users

Many Many Thanks & Mahalos to all of you who have found ways to solve this windows store and apps problem and shared your advice and solutions. With your help I've fix my computer and I am happy again ..... Jon

jtwill, Mar 5, 2016
  2. joeT Win User

Hi KoenD,

I am experiencing the same frustrating problems with my PC... But creating new profiles for me is not a piece of cake with all the settings per profile/apps...

Please keep us posted if you find a solution since; Microsoft seems to be ignoring all those problems...

Thank you

3. KoenD Win User
    No real solution yet. Indeed very frustrating constantly creating new users.

KoenD, Apr 8, 2016
  4. Sir Arun Win User

I stumbled upon this thread via google search as I also am experiencing a similar issue. Even though no real solution has been found yet, I do feel better considering that this is an issue affecting many users, and therefore not my fault but that of Windows.

I bought a new laptop for myself and my mom wants to occasionally use it too, so we need two accounts for my stuff and her stuff.

When I first set up the PC, I set up a local account (administrator privileges) under just my first name, just like things used to be in Windows 7 and prior.

Then I wanted to set up an account for my mom, under her first name. The thing is, Windows 10 asks for a Microsoft account, i.e. an e-mail address, so basically I made a mistake and gave her e-mail address and set it up (also admin). I then realized only her e-mail address is displayed instead of her name, which is annoying. At this point I'd like to mention I had made a restore point.

So when I logged into her account for the first time, it changed to her full name (as registered in her microsoft account), which makes it look better, but I was bugged that I couldnt edit out her last name. However, this is not the main issue.

The main issue is, after I logged in to her account, and the set up screens showed up ("Hi", "Getting things ready" etc.) I thought all was fine and logged out again. Then I logged back into my own account.

And guess what? All the microsoft apps (Windows Store apps, I guess) no longer work in mine:

For example, the Calculator doesn't work, the Mail app doesnt work, the Alarms & Clock doesnt work, the maps app doesnt work, the windows store doesnt open, and when I double click a picture, I get "the remote procedure call failed" error, so the picture viewer doesnt work either.

What the hell is going on? I restarted but my apps still did not work (interestingly, they did on her account).

I did a system restore to the point BEFORE I had logged into her account the first time, and lo and behold all my apps were functional again.

Seriously what the heck?

Right now this means I can scrap the idea of having an additional account on the laptop, as when someone logs in, it messes up my account's apps.

In the meanwhile I have tried several permutations, always using my previously done restore point as starting position.

1) as mentioned, tried it with her microsoft account: logged in for the first time, watched the greeting text, then looked around in her desktop, everything checks out, her apps were working, logged out, logged back into my own account and my apps werent working, not even after restart

2) Went back to restore, removed her microsoft account, restarted to make sure, set up a local account for her with admin privileges, same procedure as above, same issue.

3) Basically the same as 2) but also deleted the C: \Users\[Her name]\ folder to make sure everything was gone before creating a new account. Same issue.

4) Tried changing her microsoft account's admin privileges to a standard account. Same issue. I guess I could try the permutation of setting her up with a local account with standard privileges but I'm slowly getting tired of all this experimentation. Unchecked "update apps automatically" in the Windows store as well.

At this point I like to mention I use a cleaner tool called Advanced System Care by Iobit that, among other things, cleans my registry. I hope using that didnt somehow mess things up in my registry.

I did try the sfc /scannow command and everything was normal, no errors detected.

I googled a bit about apps not working and one popular solution was to copy paste some code into the windows power shell. I tried that once (I can always system restore so no damange is done) and I got a lot of RED text meaning something messed up and obviously it didnt fix the problem.

Sir Arun, May 27, 2016
  5. I can only sympathise. MS and native apps are screwed up when trying to use multi user accounts. Everytime there is a native app or store update it is Russian roulette as to whether they still work on other user accounts. Always take a restore point before a native app update (and keep the app updates on manual rather than auto). Basically if a native app updates fails but then works second time round - then those apps will prob be screwed for other users. Windows 10 is borked in that respect. Only way to fix is delete and re create the affected user account (a major pain) or try a system restore point and try the app updates again keeping fingers crossed they 'complete' first time !

Scottyboy99, May 27, 2016
  6. Sir Arun Win User
    Since the Windows Store won't open, I googled a bit on how to make it work again.

Tried wsreset.exe, didnt work.

Tried deleting the store cache, didnt work either.

Of course, a repair install might solve the issue but I might lose my restore point when attempting that, not to mention all installed programs.

Obviously a clean install will fix everything (it has to!) but then I lose all programs, settings and personal files (the latter are backed on on an external HDD, but the hassle of having to move everything back to my laptop and reinstall all programs is too much headache).

Right now what I can do is just use my one main account and let my mom use my account as well, with her data being accessible via the Users/[Hername]/ folder tree. That way our personal files are separated but we still share one account.

I guess I'll be sticking with this option until Windows fix this with an update.

I am gonna be buying a new desktop pc for gaming soon anyway. And when I do that, I will try getting this whole multiple user accounts business sorted out from day 1 itself. That way it is a lot easier to do factory resets etc. if something messes up since I have no data installed yet.

Sir Arun, May 27, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    An in-place repair install keeps all your programs, most settings, loses changed language, loses restore points ('cos it's a fresh Windows installation, turns system restore off..

If you buy Laplink PCMover (or Zinstall) you can save all your installed programs and optionally data and some settings, and have all of that (or selectively) automatically reinstalled when you do a clean install.

dalchina, May 27, 2016
  8. Sir Arun Win User

There is another option, which is set up her account as usual, come back to mine where the store is now corrupted, then create a 3rd account (gonna be my new one) and basically transfer all contents of my old account to the 3rd one, then rename the account's name to my old account's after I have moved over and deleted my old account from there. I got the idea from this link:

Fix Windows Issues by Creating a New User Account

The thing is, if I am still not happy, can the system restore take me back to my original account?

Sir Arun, May 27, 2016
  9. That might be a good plan. I should think a restore point will take you back. Better still is to take a system image, either via Windows or use macrium. An image takes a while depending on how much data but it's re assuring to have. Then you know that you'll be back exactly where you were.

I dont know know if your situation is unique. I struggle to remember my first setup. We have 4 family accounts. Mine as head of household and admin, then 3 family standard accounts. From memory, logging into those after my initial setup did not corrupt my apps or store. But I have had big issues with native apps on the 3 standard accounts breaking subsequently. The pattern as far as I can tell, is I check for updates on my admin account, say one for photos is available. Then I click to update it. Photos completes the update, the app works fine for me and the other user accounts. However, on rare occasions the app update doesn't work as intended. Say I click to update it, then for some reason it gets stuck or fails. So I re-try it. It then completes. I launch the photos app in my user account, it works just fine. However on the other user accounts it may no longer work. So it's Russian roulette. As if the native apps and store tries to update for all user accounts in that one hit and it messes things up if the app update doesn't go smoothly first time. Third party apps such as Facebook do not suffer this because the app is specific to the user account it was installed on. If that makes sense. System restore always fixes this whereupon can re attempt the app updates in the hope that this time it will update first time. It's for this reason I do not allow automatic updates to happen as that way I can keep a close eye on things. I'd hate to think auto app updates happening on the fly in the background could be rendering native apps useless for the other users without me knowing. I would then not be able to count on system restore reliably as I wouldn't easily know when an app went wonky. It is an epic fail that there is no reliable way to repair native apps. That powershell command that I have seen many times cannot be relied upon either as it has unpredictable results and can make things much much worse.

But whatever way we look at this the bottom line is the native apps process is seriously bugged and MS has screwed this right up. Its behaviour cannot be trusted. It's the primary reason I dislike Windows 10 and pine for the days of Windows 7. Every boot of Windows 10 breeds uncertainty as to what might happen. And every check for updates in the store brings dread, sitting in hope that MS has decided not to chuck a native app update down the pipe as I just cannot trust their OS. I get little spare time to use my PC as it is without having to waste time worrying and doing system restores.

i had another laptop with Windows 10 but had such horrible issues with cortana, the store, logging into native apps (among other things). The issues were a bit different to the above so it's another story but it was enough to make me return the laptop to manufacturer for a refund and make my first ever foray into the world of macs.

Deep down I will always prefer Windows but the Windows 10 experience and it's unpredictability and bugs has been hard to take. The MS accounts, native apps and it's attempt to no longer be a proper desktop OS instead acting as some horrible hybrid phone/tablet/desktop OS I'm sure at the root of it all. Maybe in a few years once it matures it might be much better but as a user I have no interest in beta testing or tolerating the early gremlins. Unfortunately there is no getting away from Windows 10, it's being forced in our faces pretty hard by MS and I guess before long certain software/games will no longer run on older Windows so 10 will became a necessity. We can only hope in time MS gets this right. Trouble is they seem hellbent on flooding change, features rather than addressing bugs - i'd rather a reliable OS over constant new builds with new features. More changes brings new bugs ontop of old old bugs that don't necessarily get addressed anytime soon. At the moment it's a stress inducing OS. I do want it to succeed and be a good OS, hopefully one day!

anyway I got side tracked here into a big anti-Windows 10 grumble which I apologise for - sometimes just good to get it off your chest but I hope you find that solution alluded to way back at the start makes things more palatable. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Scottyboy99, May 28, 2016
  10. I hope it's okay to reply because I'm having a similar problem. My weeks new Lenovo with Windows 10 was working fine until today. I see from Notifications that there was an update last night. Perhaps that was the instigator or not. Anyway, now, my Windows store tile is a blank blue square. It won't load. Neither will groove music, or photos. Pictures app loads but it's a blank tile, too. Using the method you describe sounds risky. And Nov 15th (date of your post) was a relatively long time ago in computer world terms. Has anything changed - new patches, or whatnot? I bought this computer to replace my 7 year-old Lenovo with Vista - still running ok. Thanks so much for any help.

rterrell10, Jun 16, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    I did a bit more digging after reading this thread since last post was 3 weeks ago and while it doesn't appear it worked for me M$ has acknowledged the issue (70008) and has an online repair troubleshooter for those with and without multiple accounts too now.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...re-not-working

with multiple Accounts too ( I have a unused elevated Admin account ...just incase )

It couldn't fix it 1st run for me so I rerun with the advance button checked (autofix) and it said it was fixed but not in my case it appears. 3rd run said there wasn't an issue.

click on the this troubleshooter link under the pic.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...unch-windows10

Kbird, Jun 18, 2016
  12. Sir Arun Win User
    @rterrel10, have you updated to Windows 10 Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.420)? It's currently the latest, should fix any issues. You can find out which version of Windows you are on by typing "winver" without quotation marks in the startmenu

Sir Arun, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users - Similar Threads - apps Store working

2. Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing: I'm running Windows 11. Things were working fine until one day about half a dozen or more Windows store apps refused to run properly. They start where you can see some portion of the window as it is starting up then they crash. I have searched the Internet about this and...
  3. Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing: I'm running Windows 11. Things were working fine until one day about half a dozen or more Windows store apps refused to run properly. They start where you can see some portion of the window as it is starting up then they crash. I have searched the Internet about this and...
  4. Windows Store and some apps crashing and Explorer Search not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Store and some apps crashing and Explorer Search not working: After I updated Windows recently, a new weather icon showed on the taskbar and this is fine but now whenever I hover over that, try to go into an app's entry in the Windows Store, or try to launch certain apps like News, the app itself instantly closes presuming a crash but...
  5. All programs except Windows store apps disappeared for some user

in Windows 10 Customization
    All programs except Windows store apps disappeared for some user: Hi All, I recently deplyed new desktops with Windows 10 1809 installed on it. All of sudden some users have lost all the programs from the start menu. If i login then it works fine but if they login then there is no shortcuts at the start menu. It works fine if they go to...
  6. some windows apps are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    some windows apps are not working: window photos ...windows camera....3d viewer applications are not working crashes before opening I have tried repair and reset still problem remains https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-windows-apps-are-not-working/0569717f-3f8b-4117-86b7-63fe8b6029e4
  7. Microsoft Store is down for some users on Windows 10 and Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Store is down for some users on Windows 10 and Xbox: Many Windows 10 and Xbox One users are reporting that the Microsoft Store is down in some regions. Users have to deal with a pretty annoying Microsoft Store problems on Thursday morning that made the app store almost non-functional for some of those affected. Users, who...
  8. Windows 10 App Store not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 App Store not working: I've seen posts from 2015 through to 2017. The Windows 10 (upgrade from Win7) Windows 10 App Store Still not working. I have tried that Powershell commands to no avail. Is there anyone in Microsoft that can put my Win 10 as it should be?...
  9. Windows Update, Windows 10 Store reportedly broken for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update, Windows 10 Store reportedly broken for some users: According to various reports on Twitter and Reddit, some users are unable to connect to Windows Update and Microsoft Store on Windows 10 devices. While users are blaming Microsoft for Windows Update issues, it appears to be a DNS issue and the software maker isn’t responsible...
  10. Windows 10 App Store and Apps not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 App Store and Apps not working: Hello all, So, a few days ago I noticed a problem with my apps and App Store. They will not load. Additionally, when I pull up my program menu, the shortcuts for the apps are greyed out with an exclamation mark on the bottom right hand corner. -Event viewer shows this...