Windows 10: Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users

Discus and support Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I’m responsible for multiple computers for our youth work. All windows 10 computers with multiple local users (administrators). Clean installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KoenD, Feb 15, 2016.

1. KoenD Win User

Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users

Hi,

I’m responsible for multiple computers for our youth work. All windows 10 computers with multiple local users (administrators). Clean installed at the beginning of January.

Windows 10 drives me kind of crazy, cause on a very regular base Store apps stop functioning. I’ve had troubles with the calculator app, the photos app and the store itself. One fine day a user starts the pc and calculator/photo or store app does not work any longer. The app appears in the search result, but it’s icon is white. And under it the text “desktop app”. I’m not kidding: the store pretends to be a desktop app.

I read some other posts on your forum about not working apps. But “my” apps think they are desktop programs.

Then not all the users on the pc have the problem. Most of the time it’s okay for one user, and for all the other users it is corrupt.

I found a work around: make a new user. And for the new user all apps are present.

But I kind of get a fulltime job creating new users and giving the user it’s documents and it’s settings back.

Does anybody know a way to PREVENT the loss of functionality of the modern apps?
    Does anybody know a way to REPAIR the broken modern apps? I found some Powershell magic on the internet, but that did not help.

I’d be very grateful for any help.
    Koen

:)

KoenD, Feb 15, 2016

2. Metro apps not working for some users (Windows 10)

I tried this solution with no results. This is what I get:

Protección de recursos de Windows no encontró ninguna infracción

de integridad.

(Windows Resource Protection found no infringement integrity.)

Nila López, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Metro apps not working for some users (Windows 10)

Well, first:

I do not have this problem on my user account.

The other user accounts are facing this problem, including local account.

I tried both solutions. First, start troubleshooting gave me no result.

The second, I run the script and gave me some errors when trying to solve the problem:

Excepción al llamar a "DeleteSubKey" con los argumentos "1": "Intento de realizar una operación no válida."

En E:\Escritorios\Escritorio 1\FixInvalidPackages.ps1: 96 Carácter: 17

+ ... [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentUser.DeleteSubKey($pat ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users :)) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccessException

Excepción al llamar a "OpenSubKey" con los argumentos "3": "Acceso denegado al Registro solicitado."

En E:\Escritorios\Escritorio 1\FixInvalidPackages.ps1: 84 Carácter: 17

+ ... $key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentUser.OpenSubKey ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users :)) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SecurityException

No se puede llamar a un método en una expresión con valor NULL.

En E:\Escritorios\Escritorio 1\FixInvalidPackages.ps1: 85 Carácter: 17

+ $acl = $key.GetAccessControl()

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users :)) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

I also ran the script in the user account that does not have problems and it seems to run properly.

Well, as you can see, I'm using windows in Spanish (Latin América).

Nila López, Feb 15, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Use this tutorial:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...ws-8-10-a.html

Do it on one computer first and use Step #2...To Reinstall and Re-Register All Windows Apps for Current Account Only
    If it works and no ill effects, then you can use Step #3 on all the computers.

davidhk, Feb 15, 2016
  5. KoenD Win User
    Hi,

Thank you for the help.
    I'm now at home but I'll try it tomorrow when I'm at the youth work. First thing to check tomorrow!

I'll let you know if it works.

Koen

KoenD, Feb 15, 2016
  6. Hello KoenD, just tread carefully using the powershell thread. Powershell fix can make things worse. Build 10586 of Windows 10 doesn't play nice with it. You might be better served targeting uninstall and reinstall of individual apps. Before attempting make sure to take a system restore point so if things get worse you can restore back to it.

here is some light reading, lol

Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Page 11 - Windows 10 Forums

Scottyboy99, Feb 15, 2016
  7. KoenD Win User
    Thank you very much for your post.

That's bad news. The computers are build 10586.

Store can't be uninstalled in a normal way. Calculator and Photos can't be uninstalled in a normal way either.
    I once ran the Powershell command to uninstall Calculator. On that pc Store was still okay. But when I reinstalled calculator from the Store it still did not work.

I had the same experience you posted about 6 days ago.

Just got round to trying it. The command to uninstall the photos app certainly worked. I then rebooted logged back into my wife's user account and went to store to re download the photos app. This worked but upon clicking it to launch nothing happened again (as before). So unfortunately it was either a case of wait for the next photos update to see if that sprung it back to life (which could be ages) or delete her user account and then recreate it (a time consuming exercise). I went for the latter and she now has usable photos app once again. Just thought I'd share the experience in case others find themselves in a similar boat.
    Cheers, Wayne

And I think I made already 100 new users. This is really NO fun.

Thank you for posting. I did not see you post from 6 days ago. Was the Photo app of your wife also thinking it was a desktop application? Or didn't you notice that?

Thanks again for the post!

KoenD, Feb 15, 2016
  8. KoenD Win User

KoenD, Feb 16, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Are all your computers fully updated ?
    Including updating the Windows 10 version ?
    Do they have version 10240 or 10586 ?

The current version is 10586.104
    ( *** there is an update that will bring the version to 10586.112. But, the update is not available in Windows Update yet. So, for safety, ignore that fact until it does show up in Windows Update.)

In case you need to know how to find out which Windows version :
    In the search bar, type winver > Enter

davidhk, Feb 16, 2016
  10. KoenD Win User
    Hi,
    They all have 10586.104.

I think the app updates are the danger for the apps.
    Monday noon on almost every computer half of the users suddenly had problems with the Store.

I checked dir "c:\program files\windowsapps" admin prompt.
    And indeed, there are new Store folders from that date/time
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2016.27.2.0_neutral_split.language-XX_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2016.27.2.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2016.27.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2016.272.4.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Yesterday I turned off automatic app update. To prevent worse. I hope it indeed prevents worse. But my users want up to date software. Of course they want. So turning off updates can't be considered as a solution.

Thank you for the post

KoenD, Feb 16, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    I apologize for not being able to help you solving the problem.
    I am sure someone will come along to help you.

Good luck.

davidhk, Feb 16, 2016
  12. KoenD Win User
    Thanks a lot for trying to help!
    I do hope someone knows a solution and comes along to help me.

KoenD, Feb 16, 2016
  13. KoenD Win User

Hi,

I did some study about the problem. And I know what goes wrong with those apps during their update.With command prompt as admin
    dir “c:\program files\windowsapps” /a
    you can see what version you have of the apps
    On a pc who has (for already some time) Store troubles that is
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_neutral_split.language-xx_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.24.0_neutral_split.language-xx_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.24.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.24.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.2524.4.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbweAnd then regedit:
    In the registry branch HKCU of the user with the broken store there are 129 references to 2015.25.22.0 instead of 2015.25.24.0.
    On the same pc the user with a Store that works fine: all nice references to 2015.25.24.0
    (I found some other minor differences too between the Store lines in the branches of the different users.)
    Conclusion: The registry is referring to files that do not exist. The installation of the apps is not okay. It does not execute all needed modifications for all users. It only does the needed registry modifications for some users.
    I verified the conclusion on other computers. I have plenty of computers to check it, and they all have wrong registry references for the user with the broken apps.

Okay … now we know what’s wrong. But how can it be solved????

Somebody an idea?

KoenD, Feb 17, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, good analysis.. but 2015? Your earlier post gives a 2016 date.

Have you tried wsreset.exe? - resets the Store without changing account settings or deleting installed apps.
    Store Cache - Clear and Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Don't think that will have any effect on your store registry entries though....probably..

Where exactly are you looking in the registry? - There are many refs in HKCU e.g.

Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users [​IMG]

(there are many more, but the date seems consistent)

Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users [​IMG]

That's the default scheduled task to update store apps.. I can only presume it updates the store too.. I don't know.
    ** note the trigger is both time and at logon, so you might gain some control by changing that by way of mitigation.
    "One fine day a user starts the pc and calculator/photo or store app does not work any longer."
    I.e. get things working, disable the 'at log on' check so the problem doesn't disrupt a user session.

I use an admin account.. presumably your users don't (FWIW). On this PC I'm using Avast, free.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2016
  15. KoenD Win User
    Hi,

We have multiple computers that I have to take care of. The one I used for the analyses lost its Store quite soon. Windows was installed on it in the beginning of January. Must have lost its Store shortly after.

Wsreset … did not try it. Besides it is not only a Store problem. Computers lost Store app, Calculator. This morning discovered two pc’s each with a lost app Photos.

I’ve been looking the whole HKCU branch through. 129 references to the old number. I exported as a reg-file. Changed extension to txt and Word did the counting. Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users :)

Store is updating just like all other apps. So it also fits in that task.

All our users are admin. So that can’t cause the problem.

I’ll try wsreset when the computers are free this evening. And I’ll have a closer look at the scheduled task too. I'll post the results.

Thank you for your post.

KoenD, Feb 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 apps or Store not working for some users - Similar Threads - apps Store working

2. Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing: I'm running Windows 11. Things were working fine until one day about half a dozen or more Windows store apps refused to run properly. They start where you can see some portion of the window as it is starting up then they crash. I have searched the Internet about this and...
  3. Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Windows Store Apps Are Crashing: I'm running Windows 11. Things were working fine until one day about half a dozen or more Windows store apps refused to run properly. They start where you can see some portion of the window as it is starting up then they crash. I have searched the Internet about this and...
  4. Windows Store and some apps crashing and Explorer Search not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Store and some apps crashing and Explorer Search not working: After I updated Windows recently, a new weather icon showed on the taskbar and this is fine but now whenever I hover over that, try to go into an app's entry in the Windows Store, or try to launch certain apps like News, the app itself instantly closes presuming a crash but...
  5. All programs except Windows store apps disappeared for some user

in Windows 10 Customization
    All programs except Windows store apps disappeared for some user: Hi All, I recently deplyed new desktops with Windows 10 1809 installed on it. All of sudden some users have lost all the programs from the start menu. If i login then it works fine but if they login then there is no shortcuts at the start menu. It works fine if they go to...
  6. some windows apps are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    some windows apps are not working: window photos ...windows camera....3d viewer applications are not working crashes before opening I have tried repair and reset still problem remains https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-windows-apps-are-not-working/0569717f-3f8b-4117-86b7-63fe8b6029e4
  7. Microsoft Store is down for some users on Windows 10 and Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Store is down for some users on Windows 10 and Xbox: Many Windows 10 and Xbox One users are reporting that the Microsoft Store is down in some regions. Users have to deal with a pretty annoying Microsoft Store problems on Thursday morning that made the app store almost non-functional for some of those affected. Users, who...
  8. Windows 10 App Store not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 App Store not working: I've seen posts from 2015 through to 2017. The Windows 10 (upgrade from Win7) Windows 10 App Store Still not working. I have tried that Powershell commands to no avail. Is there anyone in Microsoft that can put my Win 10 as it should be?...
  9. Windows Update, Windows 10 Store reportedly broken for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update, Windows 10 Store reportedly broken for some users: According to various reports on Twitter and Reddit, some users are unable to connect to Windows Update and Microsoft Store on Windows 10 devices. While users are blaming Microsoft for Windows Update issues, it appears to be a DNS issue and the software maker isn’t responsible...
  10. Windows 10 App Store and Apps not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 App Store and Apps not working: Hello all, So, a few days ago I noticed a problem with my apps and App Store. They will not load. Additionally, when I pull up my program menu, the shortcuts for the apps are greyed out with an exclamation mark on the bottom right hand corner. -Event viewer shows this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft.WindowsStore_2016.27.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe