Windows 10: Windows 10 black screen on startup problem

Discus and support Windows 10 black screen on startup problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I'm writing this from my mobile and have some difficulty searching the forum for my issue. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Blueghoti, May 18, 2016.

1. Blueghoti Win User

Windows 10 black screen on startup problem

Hello

I'm writing this from my mobile and have some difficulty searching the forum for my issue. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a toshiba satellite c660 laptop (this pre dates Windows 10 officially supported equipment). I have an SSD which has been running Win 10 for several months. (64 bit)

The other day the laptop started to present a black screen on startup. The device powers up and the fan comes on. I assume that the ssd works as normal but of course it doesn't make any sounds to give me any clues.

I've waited sufficient time for the log in screen to appear. I have then entered my password (sometimes assuming the cursor is in the right place and sometimes pressing the space bar to activate it). I then wait sufficient time for the desktop to load and have pressed the Windows key + p several times on the assumption windows is trying to display my screen on a non existent projector. I have a small lcd projector with me (I am travelling) and have tried to display the screen on that.

None of these attempts have worked. I have seen other guidance which recommends using a start up disk which, of course I don't have and can't create.

Any suggestions?

Chris

:)

Blueghoti, May 18, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Blueghoti and welcome to Tenforums.

Can you try using System Restore to a point in time before this started happening? See option #1 here:
    System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To get to the advanced options, you can simulate a failed boot three times (simply hold the power button down to shut off the system before it gets to what should be the login screen).

simrick, May 18, 2016
  5. MrWhoopee Win User
    This is how I resolved a similar problem.

My client experienced an unintentional upgrade to 10 (seems quite common) and booted up to a black screen with arrow cursor. I was able to bring up the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and start msconfig using run new task. I then set the machine to boot in safe mode from the boot tab and rebooted. This successfully booted to a desktop in safe mode. IIRC, I tried to revert to Win7 from there but it wouldn't do it from safe mode. I reopened msconfig, disabled safe mode and rebooted. This time it booted up normally and I was able to revert to Win7.

Since you've been running 10 for a while, this may not be directly applicable to your situation, but if you can get into safe mode at least you can try other solutions.

MrWhoopee, May 18, 2016
  6. Blueghoti Win User
    Hi simrick and MrWhoppee. Thanks for your feedback to my issue. I've tried both but I think the main issue is that I am flying completely blind with a black screen. No matter how precise and careful I feel I am with key strokes I'm not having any luck following your recommendations.

II am tempted to do a full reinstall. I have the original win 10 disk (although foolishly not a recovery disk) but I want to avoid taking this drastic step before I've exhausted others. All my data is backed up so I would lose time rather than data.

I am now back to a place where I can create a recovery disk on another win 10 machine. However I believe my laptop is set to boot from the SSD and I am not sure how - without a working screen and with the ssd being in working order - I could force it to boot from another source.

Thoughts ?

Chris

Blueghoti, May 20, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Hi Chris.
    If the problem indeed lies with the OS, then you should have a working screen to enter the BIOS. This is usually done by repeatedly tapping the F12 or F2 key upon the initial Toshiba splash screen. If you don't have the initial splash screen from Toshiba, then it may be that your laptop screen has failed. In that case, connecting an external monitor to the VGA port will *may* give you a display, to get into the BIOS and/or the "one-time-boot menu" to set the optical drive or flash drive as the boot device. If it's a failure on the MB, it may not work.

I also troubleshooted this once for someone who had Teamviewer installed on their system, with an auto-login. I was able to log into their machine and see everything fine, while they had nothing but a black screen.

simrick, May 20, 2016
  8. Blueghoti Win User

Thanks simrick. It's not looking good I am afraid. F2 and f12 don't seem to do anything for me. I have a small lcd projector which worked well the day before I got my black screen but now shows "no signal" from my vga port. I think I'll have to try a reinstall but am beginning to resign myself to there being a much more expensive fault.

Cheers
    Chris

Blueghoti, May 20, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Sounds like MB failure. If it were the screen, or the backlight, or even the ribbon cable that runs from the MB to the lid, your projector would work. If you can't get into the BIOS and see anything, that's a major failure. Time for a new lappy. Sorry. *Sad

simrick, May 20, 2016
  10. Blueghoti Win User
    Sigh. Ok thank you for your help with various options.

Blueghoti, May 20, 2016
  11. MrWhoopee Win User
    You didn't mention if you get the Toshiba splash screen on startup. If you do, it's not a hardware issue.

edit: I was reading here
    TOSHIBA Satellite C660-2C3: Cannot enter BIOS - TOSHIBA FORUM
    that you may have to hold the F2 key while pressing the power button to start.
    Also, if fast boot is enabled you won't see the splash screen.

MrWhoopee, May 20, 2016
  12. Blueghoti Win User
    Thanks MrWhoppee

Unfortunately it's a totally black screen, right from power up. No sign of life at all (fan spins, and I guess the SSD powers up, but I don't know if it boots.)

Does this mean a hardware issue? I guess it's an expensive one. The toshiba forum link suggestion didn't work either *Sad

Chris

Blueghoti, May 22, 2016
  13. MrWhoopee Win User

Yes, unfortunately it looks like hardware. Since the projector doesn't work either (assuming you have tried FN+F5 to switch from lcd to external), it appears that the video adapter has failed. *cry It's rare, but it does happen.

MrWhoopee, May 22, 2016
  14. Blueghoti Win User
    Sigh, ok thank you. Is the video adapter replaceable, or do I have a big issue now?

Blueghoti, May 22, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Sounds like a new MB, which is not worth the cost, as a replacement laptop would be a better use of the money. *Sad

simrick, May 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 black screen on startup problem - Similar Threads - black screen startup

2. Windows 10 black screen at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen at startup: I restarted my computer and all of a sudden windows will not boot. I get motherboard splash screen but, then it goes black. I reset my PC and removed all the files, windows then starts to install but at 9% the computer restarts and back to black screen.Any advice would be...
  3. Windows 10 black screen at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 black screen at startup: I restarted my computer and all of a sudden windows will not boot. I get motherboard splash screen but, then it goes black. I reset my PC and removed all the files, windows then starts to install but at 9% the computer restarts and back to black screen.Any advice would be...
  4. Windows 10 black screen at startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Black screen and long loading problems on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen and long loading problems on startup: When I turn on my PC, I get a black screen that lasts about 90 seconds right after the Windows Welcome screen, before I see my Desktop. It also takes up to 10 to 30 minutes (no exaggeration) to fully load websites like Reddit, Youtube and Twitch. When loading games, I see...
  6. windows 10 black screen on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 black screen on startup: Hello,I have HP pavilion x360 laptop, when I turn on my laptop and after the HP logo appears and before Microsoft logo appears,a black screen shows for about 2 minutes or a few less , then the laptop works normally,I tried to delete few updates that installed on the day that...
  7. black screen on startup windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    black screen on startup windows 10: hi when i turn my computer on it loads up but then a blue box appears and then dissappearsand it stays on a black screen but i can still hear sounds through my headphones that i am using can someone help me please as to why this is happening also i turned it on yesterday did...
  8. black screen on startup windows 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    black screen on startup windows 10: hi when i turn my computer on it loads up but then a blue box appears and then dissappearsand it stays on a black screen but i can still hear sounds through my headphones that i am using can someone help me please as to why this is happening also i turned it on yesterday did...
  9. Windows 10 - black screen at startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - black screen at startup: started my desktop computer after being off for 24 hours, and it starts up with a black screen, the screen says from time to time no video input. I swapped cables, a different type of connection, nothing. When I opened the box, I see it restarting after about a minute,...
  10. Windows 10 black screen during startup, not the typical problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen during startup, not the typical problem: Hello everyone, I am new to this website. It has been a couple months ever since I downloaded Windows 10, so it is not the typical problem people get during installation. About a week ago, there was a new security update from windows, so I updated my computer. I left that on...