Windows 10: Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Discus and support Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You could potentially partition your drive and move the game folders onto the new partion, then nuke the old partition with a clean install. You could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gamingws34, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Could I just move them to another Hard Drive? via the BIOS? Or would I have to make the partition? Thank you in advance.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  2. simrick Win User

You could boot the computer using a "live" Linux DVD, and copy everything over to another hard drive that way.

When it boots, it gives you the option to try Linux without installing it on your computer. You'll have access to everything on the hard drive.

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  3. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Are they Steam games? If so then yeah, if you've got another Hard Drive you can just move the whole Steam folder. After you move it back you can just run the Steam installer and you'll be good to go. At the most, you may find a game needs the 'verify integrity' check run from the Steam UI.

You probably won't be able to do this with other non-Steam games because they will probably need to be installed again to work properly. If you've got the ISOs for games like these then no problem, just move the ISOs.

Not sure if you can do this with Origin as I haven't tried it.

4. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Thanks everyone, today is the day... lol. After trying to move the steam files and disconnecting non OS hard drives, I will go ahead and do a System Reset; any benefits/drawbacks of using the flash drive to do it (versus repairing the original OS on the Hard Drive)? I was never able to use the Flashed OS to get to my desktop and troubleshoot... though I swear I read it was possible. Either way, I'm done researching and failing for now, and want my PC back. If anything else guys let me know, and thank you all again for your ideas and assistance - I appreciate it.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  5. chemie Win User
  6. simrick Win User
    Gamingws34, I am just re-reading this thread - Safe Mode is not accessed using the F8 key in Windows 10. Maybe these will help you with the refresh?

Safe Mode Win 10

Advanced Startup Options W10

See option #5 using a USB device.

So sorry about all the problems you are having. Once you get this thing back up and running, please consider making some images with Macrium Reflect Free (or another imaging program), so if something happens in the future, it's an easy fix.

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Although my symptoms are slightly different than described, I believe that my issue is related to this. I actually got excited while reading because I figured this would solve my problem... but alas, you must have desktop access (regedit) to perform this fix :-(. I am going to try and enter the commands into the command prompt anyway just to see.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  8. NUS
    Nus Win User

Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying. But if it's that you've got the Win 10 ISO on a bootable USB drive then, personally, I would be doing a clean install from that rather than a reset. That way your system will be as clean as it can be.

Remember: if you do clean install you don't need to enter any product keys, press skip when you're prompted for keys, Windows will activate itself when finished.

9. Thanks again for your assistance, and I apologize if I haven't quite been descriptive enough - my specialties lean more towards hardware.

In your first link, my problems are in step 6 (option 1): upon restart I have tried several keys (F4,F5,F6,F8) and even the numbers and the system ignores the request for safe mode... instead directly entering "Preparing Automatic Repair". I cannot access the desktop, so option 2 is also a bust :-(.

Your second link shows me how to access Advanced Startup Options. However, after my PC goes through "Preparing Automatic Repair" and "Diagnosing your PC", I receive the message "Automatic Repair - your PC did not start correctly - press "restart" to restart your pc which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced Options" to try other options to repair your pc."

So, as you can see, I have complete access to advanced options already (without the usb drive - which is why I am unsure whether to System Reset with USB, or the broken OS on the Hard Drive); but the "startup repair" feature can't fix the problem, windows doesn't detect a restore point, recovery image, and won't go back to a previous build... that, coupled with my inability to access Safe Mode - leaves just 2 options... command prompt and system reset (unless I am missing something). Windows, like I said, was running perfectly one day and the next not at all - so, in my opinion, it has to be related to a failed update of some sort... so I could try to wait it out (though MS hasn't even acknowledged an issue yet, lol).

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  10. That's what I meant, my apologies. Thanks, I been looking for that information for awhile.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  11. So, while system resetting via USB ISO I get an error message telling me that I must start windows normally, then plug the USB ISO in and restart the upgrade. Since windows only allows me access to the advanced settings - I am unclear if there is even a way for me to satisfy this error message... I can't start windows normally! Which leaves me to one option... system reset via advanced settings :-(. This is demoralizing lol, everything I have tried for over 3 days has failed... Microsofttttttttttttttttt!!!!!

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  12. NUS
    Nus Win User
    This is how a clean install should go:

• Boot from USB and WIndows installer starts
    • Choose language settings
    • Hit Install Now button
    • Skip product key, agree to licence
    • Choose Custom Install
    • Choose the partition to install it on
    • Installation begins

13. simrick Win User

It appears there is a way to edit the registry when you can't boot into Windows. I have not tried this myself.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru.../#entry3298617

In order to do this you will need to download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk iso. It has a Registry Editor that can edit your registry if Windows does not boot. This may or may not work depending on if you have the registry key we are looking for. You will need to burn the iso image with Imgburn or any burning software that can burn images. If you decide to install Imgburn make sure you opt out of any additional software or toolbars. You may have to disable Secureboot in BIOS in order for the Kaspesky Disk to boot. If it does boot, you can also use the File manager to transfer your important files to a USB drive. You do not have to run the Antivirus section of the disc.

Once the Rescue Disks boots, launch the Registry Editor...

Might be worth a try.

EDIT: Kaspersky Registry Editor Instructions

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  14. simrick Win User
    Sorry, I seem to be posting and missing your posts at the same time...

Question: Did Windows 10 show it was "activated" after you did your upgrade? (Sometimes it takes a few reboots, or even a few days for the activation, since the MS servers were pretty loaded from July 29th on. The reason I ask is, you say it's telling you that you must start Windows normally and then do the upgrade. Doesn't seem to make sense. But, if it was indeed activated, then you will have no problems with activation when doing an install.)

Halasz's post #7 said he was able to do an in-place upgrade from W10 to W10, taking the option to keep all apps and files.

Maybe it's the USB stick? It should be a W10 Installation USB.

If you can INSTALL from it, boot & select Install Windows.
    Select your language, time & currency format and keyboard method.
    Click on Install Now.
    Select Keep Personal Files. Also select Keep Apps (if given that choice, Halasz said he got it).
    Skip any requests for a product key.
    Upon successful installation, your files will be in a folder on the desktop called Windows.old

Of course, if you think it is related to the post from Chemie, then you could try the Kaspersky Rescue Disk which has the Registry Editor first. Nothing to lose, right?

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Wynona, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset - Similar Threads - boot loop question

2. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  3. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  4. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Boot Loop after Laptop Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Boot Loop after Laptop Reset: Hey, So I have a windows 10 laptop Acer Predator Helios 300It is about 2 years old and it was pretty much filled so I reset the laptop.The whole process went smoothly and I left my pc for a while after I came back, I saw that my pc is stuck in a Boot Loop.The first screen I...
  6. Windows 10 Laptop in Boot Loop After Reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Laptop in Boot Loop After Reset: I decided to reset my Windows 10 laptop and delete all its files. However, during the Installing Windows process, it got stuck in a boot loop. As shown in this video I took, it tries to reboot, but right when it gets back into Windows, it reboots again. It’s stuck in that...
  7. Windows 10 USB Boot Restart Loop

Windows 10 USB Boot Restart Loop: I've been troubleshooting my device for about a week, I've spent at least 12 hours messing with it so far, and I don't think I've made any progress. Any help would be very much appreciated! TL;DR: My laptop does not currently have an operating system, and it refuses to...
  8. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10): Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a System Repair Disc. I said yes. I see I can only choose to use the CD drive. When traveling (regular) I would rather take a...
  9. Boot Loop after Windows 10 Reset

Boot Loop after Windows 10 Reset: Hi guys, I've created an another disk partition and copy the files I don' want to lose. Then using the Windows' Reset thing, I chose complete reset. (I don't know it's name is exactly complete reset, I use windows in another language, but I guess you got what i meant). And I...
  10. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop: Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options) Select 64 bit Initial install screen shows then computer reboots. No video card or optical drive hooked up Ethernet plugged in Any and all suggestions...