Windows 10: Windows 10 boot time problem.

Discus and support Windows 10 boot time problem. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, a while ago I bought a new SSD because I had begun to fill my current with games and such and it seemed at the time a smart option to have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BorisTheAnimal, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Windows 10 boot time problem.

Hi,

a while ago I bought a new SSD because I had begun to fill my current with games and such and it seemed at the time a smart option to have the OS on one drive and have all games on another one. And then I used Samsung's Magician software to clone or was it to migrate my W7 OS and later I upgraded to W10. Well now in the nearby past days I've had problems with the boot time.

Normally I thought that the SSDs would boot Windows in less than 20 seconds but with mine it takes closer to a minute or more, it hangs at the Windows 10 boot logo the window in blue for a minute maybe or more, there are no spinning dots in a circle at the bottom, it just sits there and chills.

I think it might be because that when I did the migration it left the System Reserved linked to my old OS drive but when I look under my computer it does say that there is a System Reserved drive for my current OS drive but it's almost empty. Is it so that my only option would be to reinstall Windows as from what I can tell a migration isn't like a reinstall?

Or is there maybe another reason why my OS drive is booting so slowly?

Cheers, Boris *Smile

:)

BorisTheAnimal, Feb 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 login problem

Hi. I installed windows 10 on my friends computer, and his computer has a problem with overheating, so when I wanted to type his account details, the computer shut down. Then when I reopened it, is displays "Other User" and under are two columns, where
    it says to type the email and the password. I tried three different accounts and it says that the password is incorrect. Please, help!

Windows 10 login problem, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 17, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Windows 10 boot time problem.

Hi Boris,

If the slow boot has only recently started it is more likely to be connected with a windows update rather than any reserved partitions especially if it was OK for a while after you upgraded to W10.

First make sure that the update hasn't changed any settings that relate to boot time such as turning off Fast start-up.

If this is all OK then you can go into the Windows Update advanced options, view your update history and uninstall the recent Windows cumulative update. See if this puts the boot time back to where it was. If so, you know the cause but not the reason. The update will probably come back again but we are due for a new update very soon which might fix some of the issues these previous updates have been causing.

Use Winver in a command prompt to check which version and build you are on and let us know.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  5. ´Hi phil,

what about that System Reserved, would it cause anything like explained above?

I'll have to check those things later, am on another computer right now!

6. philc43 Win User
    I am sure the old System Reserved partition just sits there and does not matter, you also indicate there is a new one on the SSD which would have been created when you cloned the old drive.

Maybe it is worth you posting your Disk Management view so that a few of us can take a look?

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  7. Hi phil.

I checked the power options but there is no option for fast boot or anything similar?

Here is my disk management page:

Windows 10 boot time problem. [​IMG]

8. philc43 Win User

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  9. Hi Phil,

Well I did enable hibernate but there is no new option under "Choose what the power buttons do" so I'm not sure I understand this.

And yes the disk management looks good if you are just looking at it but the C drive's system reserved is not the 448MB drive it rather uses the G drive's 209MB and I've always wondered if it is a bit fishy.

10. philc43 Win User
    Here is a screen shot of what I see:

You need to click Change settings that are currently unavailable to make the changes.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  11. And here is a screen shot of what I see:

BorisTheAnimal, Feb 18, 2016
  12. philc43 Win User
    Yes that would worry me too because it is labelled incorrectly and must cause some conflict during the boot process. I think this needs an expert on partition management - @topgundcp perhaps?

philc43, Feb 18, 2016
  13. philc43 Win User

OK, I wonder if a restart was needed after changing the settings to enable hibernate?

philc43, Feb 18, 2016
  14. Nope nothing in the tutorial about rebooting the system.

BorisTheAnimal, Feb 18, 2016
  15. philc43 Win User
    I'm sadly out of ideas - hope someone else can step in!

philc43, Feb 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 boot time problem. - Similar Threads - boot problem

2. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  3. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  4. Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...: My LenovoIdeapad 3 laptop bluescreened and now cannot boot to windows. Startup repair does not work. I have tried following command line instructions, for example here https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2021/09/recovery-options-in-windows-11.html#.YgnrtYhBzIWHowever when trying...
  5. Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...: My LenovoIdeapad 3 laptop bluescreened and now cannot boot to windows. Startup repair does not work. I have tried following command line instructions, for example here https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2021/09/recovery-options-in-windows-11.html#.YgnrtYhBzIWHowever when trying...
  6. Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...

7. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  8. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  9. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  10. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...