Windows 10: Windows 10 boots to black screen

Discus and support Windows 10 boots to black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nathanboy350, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Windows 10 boots to black screen

Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor.

- I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work

- I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried to go into Troubleshooting>Advanced Options>Startup Settings, but Startup Settings isn't an option. Instead there is UEFI Firmware Settings.

I am currently unable to use my computer, and have been googling this for hours, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

nathanboy350, Jun 29, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Windows 10 boots to a black screen

Hello, Many users are having the same/similar problems & if you can log in either normally or via safe mode the solution is to turn off use sign-in info to auto finish setting up device after update or restart in Windows 10.

For Windows 10 (Version 1709), select the Start button, select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, then make sure Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart is turned off.

For previous versions of Windows 10, select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Window Update > Advanced options, then select the check box next to Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update.

Another potential solution is to remove any USB devices (wireless mouse, keyboard, external hard drive/s) & wait to see if boot continues, if not then to restart with devices still disconnected (if possible).

Time Lady, Jun 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 boots to a black screen

See if this helps...

Open Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps

Disable all Background apps.

Also, check whats starting up with Windows.

Press Windows key + X

Click Task Manager

Click Startup tab

Disable all except Windows Defender.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Windows key + R

Type: msconfig

Hit Enter

Go to the services tab

Check the box,

hide all Microsoft services

Disable the remaining services

Click Apply then OK

Restart if prompted

Andre Da Costa, Jun 29, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Windows 10 boots to black screen

Please fill in your System Specs.

Also please confirm your BIOS mode. Is it UEFI or Legacy? This is one key information to deal with this issue. If you are not sure, you can take the help of Partition Wizard Boot CD to do it.

5. I filled in System Specs.
    According to bios, boot mode is "Legacy+UEFI"

6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    That is why the confirmation is more required.

Legacy uses a different partition structures and booting method than UEFI. The required steps will be different based on this little information.

Please do the step #2?

7. Windows 10 boots to black screen [​IMG]

8. ARC
    Arc Win User

So it is Legacy mode. System reserved is marked as active but not having the boot flag.
    Windows 10 boots to black screen [​IMG]
    The C drive should be labelled and it should have the system flag. That is missing, too.

What made the flags and labels vanished? Let us make it sure that it is not a virus. Scan your entire computer with Kaspersky Rescue Disk at first. If it finds any infection, kill them all.

Which one is the C partition? It must not be the media drive and the FAT32 disk. Is it the 449 MB partition of the disk 2? It is too small for C. The other one, on the other hand, is too large.
    Please label the appropriate drive/partition as C. Then ....
    Set the disk 2 as your first boot device in the BIOS. Also in the boot tab of the BIOS, enable CSM. Disable Fast Boot.

Rebuild MBR on disk 2. How to Rebuild MBR | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial
    Then try to boot normally.

If it does not work, Run startup repair for at least 3 times with restarts in between every single run.
    Then try to boot the computer normally.

Let us know the result.

9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Well, it is Windows 10 in Legacy mode, and here the 449MB partition should be active, not the 100 MB. Actually the 100 MB partition should not there for your case. I think it is a carried forwarded one form the previous windows installation.

See how it goes. Let us know.

10. The demo version won't let me do anything other than look at it. I can't perform any operations

nathanboy350, Jun 30, 2016
  11. I downloaded the server version and I don't think I was supposed to. I'm gonna try the other one.

12. The 449 Mb partition is incorrect. When I try to boot it says an operating system wasn't found. Before I made it active the windows 10 logo showed up before going to a black screen.

13. Windows 10 boots to black screen

I can't figure out how to enable CSM or disable fast boot in the bios settings either.

14. I can't figure out how to enable csm or disable fast boot either

15. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Did you run Startup repair for 3 times after marking that partition as active?

Thema:

1. Windows 10 boots to black screen - Similar Threads - boots black screen

2. Black screen in booting windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen in booting windows: Recently when I boot my laptop see a blqck screen after showing laptop lego at the first that contain an below sentence https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-in-booting-windows/04b60022-1919-4c15-be61-136672334ac5
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 Boots in Black Screen

Windows 10 Boots in Black Screen: So, i got this Laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled, when the time came, and Windows 10 launched, the automatic updater told my System could run the update without a problem, i updated, i loved Windows 10, but when i boot up my Laptop, it shows the boot logo with the spinning...
  8. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  9. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  10. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...