Windows 10: Windows 10 checking for updates taking forever

Discus and support Windows 10 checking for updates taking forever in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Only noticed this when already on Creator's Update. See: windows update - Streamable Windows Update Troubleshoot didn't solve anything. Any help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by s0urce, Apr 12, 2017.

1. s0urce Win User

Windows 10 checking for updates taking forever

Only noticed this when already on Creator's Update.

See: windows update - Streamable

Windows Update Troubleshoot didn't solve anything. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

s0urce, Apr 12, 2017

2. Checking for updates, forever

After running the script you suggested the history was cleared, from memory I don't think there were more recent failed updates (ie since August).

If by "manually downloading updates" you mean "Check for updates", yes many times.

No, it's never been set to metered connection, and no difference via ethernet.

Although the update troubleshooter did nothing for this Win10, as I mentioned in my OP it was after looking at a friend's Win7 which had no updates since Jan-2016 that prompted me to look at this one. I also tried the troubleshooter on the Win7, it reported
    a couple of faults but didn't fix. It reported "Service registration is missing or corrupt". It seems MS has not published what this means or how to fix it. One thread has about 5000 me-too "people had this question", still unresolved.

Moving on, since my early post today I ticked I turned off the firewall completely, ticked "Defer updates", Checked for updates . After a long time updates arrived and installed. 5 updates for Windows 10 Version 1511 (including a cumulative update), a Malicious
    software removal tool, and another Adobe update, 7 in total. Just those, notably not the anniversary update and none for Office. I'd have expected dozens in this time.

As this is the first time since August I've received any Windows updates I've no idea if it was the firewall off, "Defer", or something else that allowed these through.

Peter Thornton, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Checking for updates, forever

Windows Defender seems to be updating fine, curiously!

I ran the troubleshooter again and same as before, it couldn't find the problem

Defer feature updates has always been unchecked as you show

I haven't yet tried any of those registry changes, though not sure which one I should be trying(?)

Could this be relevant - I can't access various folders particularly certain 'public' ones. The folder icons are slightly 'greyed out' with what looks like a shortcut arrow. When I click on such a folder I get "Location is not available" + "Access is denied".
    It's a problem because I can't even access the old public Documents folder.

I'm reminded of this because I wanted to restore the update history which was backed up by the script you pointed me to, I can access the first 2/3 files be not this one

ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old

The 'application data' folder is denied.

Although Windows Update is still showing no updates have been installed (since running the script), if I go to Uninstall the full list is still available. The most recent non MS update listed is Adobe on 16-Nov, the most recent Windows and Office updates
    were 9-Aug

Peter Thornton, Apr 12, 2017
  4. luarpc Win User

luarpc, Apr 12, 2017
  5. s0urce Win User
    Hey luarpc, thanks for the reply.

Already tried it. No impact.

s0urce, Apr 12, 2017
  6. BKnight Win User
    I've been having this same "problem" for about 3 weeks now. Checking for updates can take anywhere from 5-8 minutes. The build version doesn't matter, and trying to run fixes does not help. My bet is on the path to the MS update server is having issues (at least here in Northeast Pennsylvania).

BKnight, Apr 12, 2017
  7. s0urce Win User
    Thanks for the reply, BKnight. Now at least i know i'm not alone.

Let's hope Microsoft fix this, tried almost everything i could think of and nothing changed.

s0urce, Apr 12, 2017
  8. Windows 10 checking for updates taking forever

You are not alone. I am glad that I have found this post. Thought it was only me.

Very slooooow update even now I have CU.

JemTheWire, Apr 12, 2017
  9. s0urce Win User
    This issue is now fixed. This is what i did.

Downloaded Windows 10 1703 .ISO (remember that it must be the same language and architecture that your current setup is running) > Mounted it and launched setup.exe > Follow instructions and once you reach this menu select "Change what to keep" and make sure the first option is selected next, "Keep personal files and apps". It will now start the in-place upgrade to repair Windows while keeping everything you have installed, etc.

Now everything is okay, Windows checks for updates without taking ages.

s0urce, May 4, 2017
  10. I found sometimes it takes a long time to check when computer has started various background tasks. If tiworker process is busily hogging GPU and you try a manual update check it can take a while. Best thing is to leave machine alone for an hour or so and let it finish up whatever it's doing - normally after that things are back to quick update checks

Scottyboy99, May 4, 2017
  11. s0urce Win User
    Applications in the background was not the problem, it was something else. It happened every single time. Also, i tried everything that came to my mind to fix it (clean boot, sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, Windows Troubleshooter, Reset Windows Update Agent, etc) and nothing helped. Maybe something corrupted when upgraded from UA to CU, but i really don't know what was it.

s0urce, May 4, 2017
  12. TairikuOkami, May 4, 2017
  13. s0urce Win User

After further investigation on this, i've found the root cause to this problem.

I was using O&O ShutUp10, and this was and is the cause. In order to have checking for updates back to its normal checking time you need to turn off "Telemetry disabled (2 of 3)" - https://i.imgur.com/SJEgq0K.png on O&O ShutUp10.

After this, no more boring checking times.

s0urce, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 checking for updates taking forever - Similar Threads - checking updates taking

2. error checking taking forever.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    error checking taking forever.: My external hard drive got corrupted and I reformatted it and now it is stuck error checking with the scanning and repairing on error checking for the drive. Would you know why it is taking so long with it only having 2 games on it being fortnite and overwatch. The drive is 1...
  3. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  4. Windows taking forever to Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows taking forever to Update: I did one of the Windows update and it told me to restart my computer. Usually it takes 5 minutes but today its been over an hour restarting. What should i do?...
  5. Microsoft Store checking for updates is taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store checking for updates is taking forever: On Netflix, I received error code U7111-1331 telling me to update my Netflix app in order to stream. I went to the Netflix page on the Microsoft Store but it gave me no option to update the app. So I clicked on Downloads and Updates, checked for updates, and it's taking...
  6. Checking for updates takes forever

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Checking for updates takes forever: It actually does not check for updates in Windows 10, why? 148176
  7. Windows Update takes forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update takes forever: The windows update end up took more than 3 hours to complete. Would it be possible to get an estimated time to update beforehand? And it would be nice if the windows can display the estimated remaining time needed instead of the percentage completed because it could be stuck...
  8. Windows 10 Checking for updates taking forever

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Checking for updates taking forever: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]While Windows 10 updates have smoothened over the years, there are still many scenarios where the update gets stuck. Windows regularly check for an update or when you click the button. But if your Windows 10 update is taking forever [...] This post Windows...
  9. Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!: Running Windows 10 on Panasonic CF-C2 laptops. When it comes to updates, they are taking FOREVER to install - 20 to 30 minutes. Is anyone experiencing the updates taking this long....my users are screaming because time is money and updates are just taking too long. I am not...
  10. Updates taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 checking for updates forever

2. checking for updates taking forever

3. windows 10 checking updates takes forever

4. checking updates taking forever