Windows 10: Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot

Discus and support Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I have a Windows 10 computer. Just a few months ago, I encountered a problem, and it's really annoying me now. When my computer shuts down, it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hereforhelp9, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot

Hi. I have a Windows 10 computer. Just a few months ago, I encountered a problem, and it's really annoying me now. When my computer shuts down, it will take hours if not DAYS to boot. One time it took almost 2 days. The screen just stays blank, and I can't hear the fans or anything running inside the computer. Everything is plugged in correctly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's off right now, I've been waiting since this morning for it to come back on. How can I boot it right now??? And when I boot it, how can I fix this problem?

:)

Hereforhelp9, Oct 30, 2016
  2. Ch3ru Win User

Computer takes hours to boot up

I did not turn on my computer for about a month because I didn't have a charger. Now I have since turned my computer on and it takes hours to boot up. What can I do to solve this problem?

Ch3ru, Oct 30, 2016
  3. Computer takes hours to boot up

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.
    The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two
    for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your Diagnostics –Performance Operational log from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

To access the log select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R
    , type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select
    Application and Services Logs. Expand and then expand Microsoft,
    Diagnostics -Performance. Place the cursor on Operational, select
    Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot

Hi, some things you can try:
    1. Run a check on your disk:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

- or do this from outside Windows e.g. booting your PC with Kyhi's boot disk (DVD/flash drive) available from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

2. Check the SMART parameters of your disk using Crystal Diskinfo (free, portable).
    - you can do that having booted using Kyhi's disk too

3. Try turning off fast start-up.

4. Research: I searched for
    very slow boot
    in the forum - e.g.

Solved Very slow startup after Windows Anniversary update - Windows 10 Forums
    Very Slow Boot - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Very painful and slow boot time and 100% disk usage - Windows 10 Forums

5. Try booting to Safe Mode. Is that a lot faster?

6. Try a clean boot. Is that any faster?

dalchina, Oct 30, 2016
  5. Thank you for the suggestions on what to do, I will try these once it turns on, but that could be days from now, as it is extremely slow. I will keep waiting for it to turn on, then try your suggestions.

Hereforhelp9, Oct 30, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, a lot of these you can do by booting from external media -provided your PC boots normally that way. If it is slow booting from external media, that tends to indicate you have a hardware problem.

So please get yourself Kyhi's disk as above and try booting from it.

dalchina, Oct 30, 2016
  7. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Oct 30, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

@AddRAM - there's no point doing that until we know the disk is ok. First thing, check the disk.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Goes without saying, it`s been a few months, that should have been confirmed already.

AddRAM, Oct 31, 2016
  10. This is a shared computer and another person who uses it thinks it's a bad idea to download something from an unknown source. We are very careful about what we download, so I think we decided just to wait until it comes back on itself. Thanks anyways though. I'll let you know when it's back.

Hereforhelp9, Oct 31, 2016
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Not careful enough I guess *Smile

No one on this site would recommend you try anything we haven`t used our self.

Good Luck, keep us informed.

AddRAM, Oct 31, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    The source- the boot disk- is from a senior member of this site. I think you can trust that- If not, I'm not sure what you can trust.

Anyway, I'll leave it with you. Good luck.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  13. Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot

Ok, yay! Finally back on! Now I can tell you that it is a 64-bit operating system with 8.00 GB installed ram. Is there any other specs I should mention?

14. Bree New Member
    @Hereforhelp9, The best way to tell us your system specs is to go to your TenForums 'User Control Panel' here: https://www.tenforums.com/profile.php?do=extra and fill in as much of it as you can (some categories may not be relevant, just leave them blank) then click the 'save changes' button at the bottom of the page.

15. Oh ok thanks! I filled it out to the best of my knowledge, but there are a lot of things I am unsure of.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 computer takes hours and sometimes days to boot - Similar Threads - computer takes hours

2. Booting Windows takes hours...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows takes hours...: Short question:What does that mean, what can I do? Is this an update and I just have to wait? But it has yet been booting for hours... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-takes-hours/70673c92-6e92-44ca-a98f-54cb91cbea75
  3. Booting Windows takes hours...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting Windows takes hours...: Short question:What does that mean, what can I do? Is this an update and I just have to wait? But it has yet been booting for hours... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-takes-hours/70673c92-6e92-44ca-a98f-54cb91cbea75
  4. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  5. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  6. taking many hours to boot

7. PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.: Here the dumpfile ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...
  8. PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.

PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.: Here the dumpfile ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...
  9. Windows takes up to an hour to boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows takes up to an hour to boot: I have reinstalled Windows on this machine, which solved the problem for a couple weeks. The computer itself works with no issue after it's up and running. It's still on an HDD, which doesn't appear to have errors, but I'll run a chkdsk to be sure. I've changed the SATA cable...
  10. Windows 10 sometimes takes 1hr to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 sometimes takes 1hr to boot: I have a problem. Sometimes when I try to boot my pc it takes up to 1hr with no spinning circles. This problem lasts 2-3 days. After that my pc boots normally. But it just keeps coming back. It's really frustrating me. Is there anything I can do?...