Windows 10: Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse

Discus and support Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have 7 Windows 10 computers (4 @ office, 3 @ home). Of these 7, only 1 is having this issue. Beginning about a month ago, Cortana has started giving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by thaBadfish, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse

I have 7 Windows 10 computers (4 @ office, 3 @ home). Of these 7, only 1 is having this issue. Beginning about a month ago, Cortana has started giving me a "How Can I Help?" sort of splash screen, with a "^" on the bottom to collapse into my interests. See screenshots:

Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse [​IMG]

Typically with all my other W10 computers, Cortana will default directly to my interests, as seen in the second screenshot. I tried a support session with microsoft, who simultaneously declared it a "new feature" while trying to fix it, unsuccessfully.

Other troubleshooting steps I've taken unsuccessfully:
    • elevated cmd: sfc /scannow
    • elevated cmd: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • elevated cmd->powershell: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml
    • "upgraded" my current W10 installation by using the mediacreationtool to "upgrade" my current installation while keeping apps and files
    • Turned all cortana cards off and back on
    • turned off cortana completely and went to bing.com/account/personalization and cleared all information, rebooted

I'm just trying to get cortana to go back to the way she was...

:)

thaBadfish, Apr 20, 2016

2. Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

Every single number.. No i've tested in on my mothers phone and her ID isn't set on private but still doesn't show. When i miss the call it automatically sends me a message saying who called, well if there number isn't on private.

hamburglar1, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

I've had this problem since ever... Whenever i recieve a call it doesn't show the caller. All it says is " Call ". Please someone help me get rid of this ! My settings are set as " Say caller's name; - On "

hamburglar1, Apr 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse

Hi, not seen that for sure..
    Have you tried creating a new user to check for user profile corruption?
    I think the 4th thing you've tried is an in-place upgrade repair.. is that correct?
    Can you check you don't have
    Some settings are managed by your organisation
    E.g. in Settings, Privacy, General?

Have you tried this?
    Cortana - Clear Your Personal Information - Windows 10 Forums

Is there any change if you do a clean boot?

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  5. dalchina,
    Thanks for the reply. First off, I was able to resolve the problem, I'll get to what eventually worked in a second, but for sake of being thorough for anyone else who has this problem, I'll run through all the steps.

Regarding what I listed as my 4th step, what I did was use the mediacreationtool to create a USB install drive, but I ran it from within Windows. The install window looks like this:

So I basically just re-installed Windows right on top of itself, downloading updates as requested by the installer.

Settings -> Privacy -> General had no indication that any settings were managed by my organization.

I didn't get around to trying a clean boot, or creating another user profile, because what ended up working was in your link:

I had already done "Option 2" from that link several times, but I did it again just for completeness. I was not aware of this settings page, or its relation to Cortana, so this was all new to me. For a few minutes, Cortana appeared frozen, and eventually she opened up and asked the normal question about getting to know me (essentially asking if she can turn back on the setting that I just turned off). From this point forward, the issue of the "^" has disappeared, and she now shows my interests immediately:

thaBadfish, Apr 20, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, good, I think you mean you did an in-place upgrade repair install. It's a valuable technique and the one I'd have suggested if trying simpler things didn't work.

(Seems the attachment links aren't valid: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator)

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse

1. Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse - Similar Threads - Cortana Help Collapse

2. How can I disable Cortana?

in Cortana
    How can I disable Cortana?: I don't really use Cortana on my desktop. What's the proper way to disable it and remove the process? It's generating error in event log every couple of hours. Unable to start a DCOM Server:...
  3. Cortana - How can I get it back on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cortana - How can I get it back on Windows 10?: Cortana - How can I get it back on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-how-can-i-get-it-back-on-windows-10/951a2378-c3fc-40cc-ac70-623061d18e47
  4. How can I TYPE commands for Cortana in Windows 10 desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I TYPE commands for Cortana in Windows 10 desktop?: Since they split out Cortana from the "search" function (which I think was a horrible idea), apparently you can't type anymore. What if I want to type something for Cortana to do and I don't want anyone to hear me or hear a reply from Cortana? Just seems like an effort to...
  5. How can I stop Cortana from interrupting? Window 10

in Cortana
    How can I stop Cortana from interrupting? Window 10: Several times this morning when I've been in another Community (Lenovo), Cortana has interrupted. I didn't think to take a screen print but a black vertical rectangle appeared telling me to change my settings. There was no X on it to close it - I stopped it by switching to my...
  6. I can not learn cortana how i say hey cortana.

in Cortana
    I can not learn cortana how i say hey cortana.: If i go to cortana setings. And press "Learn how i say "Hey Cortana"". [ATTACH] Every thinks work pretty good but after i should say frst phrases it close and doesnt work. Normali cortana can hear me and do every think that i told her but when i want to learn her that it...
  7. How can I slence Cortana.

in Cortana
    How can I slence Cortana.: I want to be able to talk TO her, but not Hear her. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-slence-cortana/ecdada4b-074d-47e2-aa98-4d0e3d12313e"
  8. How can i disable cortana?

in Cortana
    How can i disable cortana?: I don't use cortana that much. Only windows search. How can i disable cortana..? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-disable-cortana/abce115b-dd85-4eb7-81dc-7f2b22251a85"
  9. How can I disable Cortana Assisted Windows 10 Install

in Cortana
    How can I disable Cortana Assisted Windows 10 Install: Hi MS Community, Need your feedback and support in getting my captured image to where I want it to be. Just a quick description of my set up!, I have a 2016 server with WDS and MDT on it. Using Win10 v87129 in which I was successful to get it deployed and captured using...
  10. How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys?: Hello, I went around searching for a setting through the registry and left a mess with dozens of open keys and sub keys. Is there a key within the registry I can delete that will restore all keys to there original collapsed/closed state? 28178