Windows 10: Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Discus and support Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's evening where I'm at. I will definitely try doing so tomorrow! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

It's evening where I'm at. I will definitely try doing so tomorrow!

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 3, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Have a good evening!

f14tomcat, Jan 3, 2017
  3. The more I read this the more I wonder, if you open explorer, and it doesn't seem to matter how long you've been up, you crash. Is this a window error.

Have your run sfc /scannow?

What error messaging are you get on the blue screen. Is it mentioning a particular .sys file or .dll file ?

If you look in the BSOD section of forum, link enclosed, you will see a tool to gather BSOD info. Might be tricky but maybe you use email to attach file and get to another machine to post. I say tricky as you will need to attach file and that will cause file explorer to open.

BSOD - Posting Instructions

Can you boot into safe mode and if you open explorer does machine crash?

Once you are backed up and assuming you can boot to trouble shooting mode have you tried "repair"?

What is the make and detailed model number of this device.

Caledon Ken, Jan 3, 2017
  4. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Hi!

No error message. Just crashes. Pc turns off and attempts to turn back on again. The blue screen I mentioned was the pc asking me to restart or troubleshoot.

Where can I see the make and details of my device that you need?

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 3, 2017
  5. Okay first things first. Is this Dell, HP, Acer Asus etc. Then there should be a sticker that gives you model number. If this is custom built what Motherboard does it use.

Sounds like auto restart is on but it usually displays for 30 seconds. Lets try shutting off auto restart just to see. Right click on Windows icon, left click control panel, click System and Security, click System, click Advance system settings on left, click on settings in Startup and recovery section, remove the check mark in Automatically restart. Click okay and reboot.

Then work through the items I suggested in previous post. scannow, safe mode etc.

Caledon Ken, Jan 3, 2017
  6. Stupid question: how can I find out the motherboard info without going into any sort of explorer?

FWIW, I just played a video game for about 50 minutes, been watching YouTube all day and it hasn't restarted yet.

Found it:
    asustek computer inc.
    p8h61-m lx
    Mf70bg04732922
    Rev x.0x

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 4, 2017
  7. Did you shut off auto restart?

Did you run sfc /scannow?

You said that opening explorer causes crash. Great you can watch but does explorer still cause crash?

Does explorer cause crash in safe mode?

Did you create memtest tool?

Not to be difficult but you need to post things that you doing and ideas you've worked through so we can cross them off list to get to root cause.

Thanks

Caledon Ken, Jan 4, 2017
  8. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Looked up MB. There are two MB's with that number, one p8h61-m lx R2.0 and the same only an R2.0 Plus.

Your manual is located here.

Access Denied

Not knowing which board you have, I used the plain R2.0 version. The basics will be the same. In the English manual on page 1-8 is your memory location.

Page 1-23 shows how to install and uninstall memory. Memory is very sensitive. You can not static shock. Read the warnings.

If we get to it, you may wish to reseat. If you are not confident in doing this don't do it. Should you get an error in memtest86 you will need to remove one stick and retest. Then switch to determine bad stick. I assume both slots are populated.

Caledon Ken, Jan 4, 2017
  9. Sfc scannow said windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. I turned off auto restart. How can I start into safe mode? Haven't tried opening explorer because I'm scared haha! Opening files from start folder for now

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 5, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Option #2 here is probably the easiest.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

1. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer - Similar Threads - crashes opening explorer

2. Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.: Whenever I open Explorer from "win+e", the start menu or the command prompt shows a window and then crashes. I checked the event viewer and it shows these errors in the "Application" logs:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.26052.1000, time stamp:...
  3. Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.: Whenever I open Explorer from "win+e", the start menu or the command prompt shows a window and then crashes. I checked the event viewer and it shows these errors in the "Application" logs:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.26052.1000, time stamp:...
  4. Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window: When clicking the explorer icon, explorer.exe crashes and restarts.Attempted the context menu regedits, sfc scannow, dism online commands all to no avail.Also tested deleting the automatic destinations using powershell commands, it ran and deleted the folder but issue...
  5. Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window

Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window: When clicking the explorer icon, explorer.exe crashes and restarts.Attempted the context menu regedits, sfc scannow, dism online commands all to no avail.Also tested deleting the automatic destinations using powershell commands, it ran and deleted the folder but issue...
  6. Windows Explorer crashes when opening pics or vidsH

Windows Explorer crashes when opening pics or vidsH: Hi,I am experiencing a massive issue with my laptop. Every single time I try to open or select/drag or press right-click on a picture or video file it crashes directly. All the pictures or videos don't show anymore the thumbnail and some of them have even a complete blank...
  7. Explorer crashing when opening images

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer crashing when opening images: Sometimes when I try opening an image it completely freezes, opens up empty, struggles to be closed etc... and ends up crashing the entire explorer (the taskbar resets etc.) and then it's all good to go. I had this problem on my previous computer too and just recently got a...
  8. windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll: When some users opens the explorer and browse some folders it starts opening lots of new windows. Moreover if we open files like Word documents or pdf files than the explorer crashes and restarts. It seems to be a user related problem. If another user profiles uses the...
  9. Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads: My Windows Explorer is crashing out without an error popup whenever it opens the Download folder. For Documents it will stay open for a few seconds and work fine, then crash without a popup. All other files work fine so far, just these two. It also causes issues with...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915