Windows 10: Windows 10 disk access seems slow

Discus and support Windows 10 disk access seems slow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have noticed on a clean install of Windows 10 that disk access is sometimes slower than 8.1.1 by quite a bit. I have a 960 gig Crucial SSD that used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Looey, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Looey Win User

Windows 10 disk access seems slow

I have noticed on a clean install of Windows 10 that disk access is sometimes slower than 8.1.1 by quite a bit. I have a 960 gig Crucial SSD that used to be blazing fast. Sometimes when I click on drove C windows does a search to see what is on it. I have also noticed when deleting 20,000+ files that it is much slower than Windows 8.1.1. Other times the drive seems fast but there are too many times it does not. I hope the SR1 coming next week will fix this problem.

:)

Looey, Aug 7, 2015

2. slow 10

Nothing I have done for four days has helped. I am very disappointed. It seems like windows 10 would be awesome if it wasn't so slow, so very slow. I heard I can go back to windows 7 how can I do that aside from reinstalling my windows 7 disk.

toronhancock, Aug 7, 2015
  3. ellaryk Win User
    Disk optimization on an SSD

Does Windows 10 do disk optimization on an SSD? If so, does it do a trim command and is it safe?

I have an Adata SP900 Pro 256 gig SSD. In the past, after running the trim command from the Adata Toolbox I found Windows 10 corrupted and had to reinstall it.

A few weeks ago I reinstalled Windows 10 onto the SSD. After that when windows booted it wanted to do a scan and repair on the drive. I copied all the documents, pictures and videos from the Windows.old folder to the new folders. I then let is do the scan
    and repair. A few days ago I cleaned off the Window.old file. Afterward access to the SSD was very slow. I saw a solid HDD light for several seconds every time the PC accessed the drive. I updated the drive's firmware, which seemed to help. But after a reboot
    it was slow again. After another reboot it was normal. It seemed as though access would slow after the PC was on for a long time.

Most of yesterday and today the PC has been fine. I have a query in to Adata about this as well because they mentioned an issue with slow transfer rates. But then I thought it may be a Windows issue so I'm asking here. I'm not sure about the cause for this
    at all, just relating what I experienced.

I did everything that was suggested in response to my previous post on my slow SSD yesterday: ran optimization, removed indexing from the drive, changed performance options to high performance, removed the page file (set to no page file).

So here's what happened today. When I booted up this morning the SSD was slow. I restarted and everything was normal until later on after the PC was asleep for a while. When it woke the SSD was slow. For example, looking at the disk performance in task manager
    after clicking on a file in file manager (with intention of deleting it) there was 100% disk utilization for over 60 seconds. Then the file was selected so I hit the delete key and it was quickly deleted. So I ran another optimization and checked for errors
    (there were none) and rebooted. After rebooting everything was normal.

What could be causing this? I'm not sure if this only happens after coming out of sleep mode so I will test that. What else should I be looking for?

Thanks.

ellaryk, Aug 7, 2015
  4. letmein Win User

letmein, Aug 7, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    Make sure that the SSD firmware is the latest. A lot of people seem to be having problems with SSDs.

6. Looey Win User
    Thanks, I will check on that.

Looey, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 disk access seems slow - Similar Threads - disk access seems

2. Robocopy making disk access very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy making disk access very slow: Hello ,I am using Robocopy to periodically copy data media data mp4 video files from Local drive to network drive.When Robocopy is executing copy command, local disk access is very slow and becoming almost unusable to open it.Tried with different thread options 8,16,32 etc....
  3. Robocopy making disk access very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy making disk access very slow: Hello ,I am using Robocopy to periodically copy data media data mp4 video files from Local drive to network drive.When Robocopy is executing copy command, local disk access is very slow and becoming almost unusable to open it.Tried with different thread options 8,16,32 etc....
  4. Robocopy making disk access very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage Spaces disk access really slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces disk access really slow: So been using Windows 11 since launch, with no choice ofcourse well initially there was but that ship has sailed and now cant "Go back" only reinstallAfter the previous update, a 6 disk Storage Spaces Simple setup has come to an issue.All the data is intact and i can use it...
  6. Storage Spaces disk access really slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces disk access really slow: So been using Windows 11 since launch, with no choice ofcourse well initially there was but that ship has sailed and now cant "Go back" only reinstallAfter the previous update, a 6 disk Storage Spaces Simple setup has come to an issue.All the data is intact and i can use it...
  7. windows 10 disk is slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 disk is slow: i have an HP 250 G6 Notebook PC and it slow , how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-is-slow/183146af-4596-4b43-bee4-fb4eb0814a4b
  8. Windows 10 slow disk

Windows 10 slow disk: Hello, so I have an HP laptop and it always kinda slow, I don't know how to fix it. My HP model: HP 250 G6 Notebook PC x64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-slow-disk/2d9ce313-5bc7-4618-baf2-0a5cbb2730d3
  9. Windows 10 Pro hard disks slow access

Windows 10 Pro hard disks slow access: Hello, a couple of weeks ago I moved from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro (currently version 1809). I have 5 hard disks and windows 10 Pro is doing what Vista 64 bit was doing in that far time I had it. First When I turn off Windows, the machine, the case, the...
  10. Windows 10 seems slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 seems slow: Is it me or does windows 10 seem slow to anyone else. its not like i got a ancient laptop its a lenovo t430s got a i7 3520m 2.90ghz with 16 gigs of ram but boy it loads slow and seems to run slow. 10359

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 slow disk access