Windows 10: Windows 10 - edge and search issues

Discus and support Windows 10 - edge and search issues in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or has experienced this issue... My father has brought a brand new custom pc which came with windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DemiLeach, Sep 29, 2019.

1. DemiLeach Win User

Windows 10 - edge and search issues

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or has experienced this issue...

My father has brought a brand new custom pc which came with windows 10 pre-installed. Everything was fine to begin with but somewhere along the process of installing his programs, edge and windows search stopped working. Windows search bar brings up a blank screen which closes if I try to type and edge opens but then closes itself a few seconds later.

So, I tried various solutions for these issues including windows troubleshooter, rebuild index, sfc scan, check windows search service, disable cortana, third party antivirus/windows firewall. Eventually I decided it was time to reinstall windows which, of course solved the problem... temporarily.

I then proceeded to install his software, checking after each install to make sure everything was fine, which it was. Randomly (not straight after an install), the edge issue re-appeared but search was still ok. Then shortly after, windows search stopped working again. At this point, I'm getting a little bit frustrated as my father is elderly and unwell, any stress is bad for him so his (and my) stress levels were soaring. I've installed chrome for now so he can use his pc but I am due to go back and investigate further.

The software which had been installed at this point was basically just 2 lots of printer software, epson being one. I was aware of a previous issue with epson and windows 10 but as far as I'm aware it only affects the functionality of the printer itself.

Any fresh ideas I can be armed with will be a great help. Thanks in advance

Demi

:)

DemiLeach, Sep 29, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Sep 29, 2019
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Nielsc Win User

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

OK found the solution, a classic workaround:

Go to US Proxy List - Free Proxy List
    Pick a proxy with SSL
    Set it as proxy in Control Panel | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings
    Test it by going to google.com
    If you do NOT see a "Use Google.xxxx" (xxxx is a contry-specific TLD such as .co.th, .co.uk, etc) then you can go to next step
    If you DO see a "Use Google.xxxx" (xxxx is a contry-specific TLD such as .co.th, .co.uk, etc) then try another proxy

Next step:
    Now you can follow the standard switch of search engine as per here:
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Basically unless Google sees you as being in the USA it will force the localized google search engine URL on you, like it or not.

Nielsc, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - edge and search issues - Similar Threads - edge search issues

2. latest Windows 11 Update - Issue with Microsoft Edge Search Engine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    latest Windows 11 Update - Issue with Microsoft Edge Search Engine: Hello,After the latest update of windows 11, it seems that Microsoft Edge changed automatically the search engine in my case from Google to Bing. Additionally , the issue here is that I cannot change the search engine from Bing to Google or yahoo I tried manually to add them...
  3. Edge search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge search: Im using Edge on my PC, but it searches using chrome browser. I want edge only and I dont want different search engine. My brother only uses google on this PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-search/f59f8957-77f2-4fb7-82a3-41fcef631dac
  4. Edge search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge search: Im using Edge on my PC, but it searches using chrome browser. I want edge only and I dont want different search engine. My brother only uses google on this PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-search/f59f8957-77f2-4fb7-82a3-41fcef631dac
  5. Microsoft Edge to get tab search, Windows 10 Search integration

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge to get tab search, Windows 10 Search integration: Microsoft Edge’s tab search feature, which has been under development for a long time, is finally making some progress. Apparently, Edge’s new feature is now one step closer to the official launch and it looks like Windows 10 Search integration has also made progress....
  6. Windows 10 Edge Delete Bing search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Edge Delete Bing search: How to delete Bing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-edge-delete-bing-search/55a34e4a-9f71-4c53-abaf-a83fb169db76
  7. Windows search defaults to Edge

in Cortana
    Windows search defaults to Edge: Hi, When using the windows search function it uses Bing through the Edge browser. How do I change the default for this function to Chrome using the google search engine? Chrome is currently set as the default browser and under default application by protocol search isn't...
  8. problems with search in windows 10 and microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problems with search in windows 10 and microsoft edge: [IMG]I just reinstalled windows with my digital license through this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall . this is the problem. don't know what it is or how to resolve the problem. this happens in search and also on microsoft edge....
  9. Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows.

in Cortana
    Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows.: Hey all- So I have researched this issue, and I certainly do not have the issue that others have experienced that prevents typing within the Search Bar and Edge. My issue is strange... I can type in the search bar, but the cursor seems to shift upward into the result. When I...
  10. Windows 10 Search Overlay Issue

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Overlay Issue: Hello all, I could really use some help. Every time I search in the task bar, or in IE, Edge, or Firefox... The results have a strange overlay on any hyperlinked image. This happens on Bing.com, Google, com, and Yahoo.com. Everything shows normally in the Google Chrome...