Windows 10: Windows 10 File Associations

Discus and support Windows 10 File Associations in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ITwizo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ITwizo Win User

Windows 10 File Associations

Hi,

We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created.

The only change the in the XML is for Adobe Reader for PDF to be used instead of Edge naively.

The XML seems to apply successfully but once the first user log ins I receive a reset default apps notification error in the notification bar which resets it back to edge but when the next user logs on its fine.

We aren't doing it via GPO as we want the user to be able to change the other default programs themselves if they wish too.

Any help or guidance on your experiences would great.

Kind Regards,

:)

ITwizo, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 13, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Feb 13, 2019
  4. mandoist Win User

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CWindows 10 File Associations :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 File Associations - Similar Threads - File Associations

2. Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...: I accidentally changed my default exe file opener to Adobe Acrobat, when I ran the .exe file it appeared select an app to open this .exe file. when I run regedit, cmd, notepad and taskmgr it shows application not found how do i solve it?...
  3. Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...: I accidentally changed my default exe file opener to Adobe Acrobat, when I ran the .exe file it appeared select an app to open this .exe file. when I run regedit, cmd, notepad and taskmgr it shows application not found how do i solve it?...
  4. Windows 11 Pro does not respect file association settings in desktop programs

Windows 11 Pro does not respect file association settings in desktop programs: Hello, A few days ago I reinstalled a fresh on a clean SSD copy of Windows 11 Pro on my desktop PC. Everything has worked flawlessly except for one very annoying thing. Windows 11 Pro doesn't seem to respect file association settings in third-party desktop programs at all....
  5. Windows 11 Pro does not respect file association settings in desktop programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro does not respect file association settings in desktop programs: Hello, A few days ago I reinstalled a fresh on a clean SSD copy of Windows 11 Pro on my desktop PC. Everything has worked flawlessly except for one very annoying thing. Windows 11 Pro doesn't seem to respect file association settings in third-party desktop programs at all....
  6. How do I print out the list of files in the folder AND their associated Dates Modified?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I print out the list of files in the folder AND their associated Dates Modified?: In File Explorer Windows 11 pro: How do I print out the list of files in the folder AND their associated Dates Modified? I know how to Ctrl A to select the files, use Copy Path to copy them, and Ctrl V to paste the results into Word or Excel, but that only gives me the file...
  7. How do I print out the list of files in the folder AND their associated Dates Modified?

How do I print out the list of files in the folder AND their associated Dates Modified?: In File Explorer Windows 11 pro: How do I print out the list of files in the folder AND their associated Dates Modified? I know how to Ctrl A to select the files, use Copy Path to copy them, and Ctrl V to paste the results into Word or Excel, but that only gives me the file...
  8. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.: I'm getting a message that says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Apps Setting page" everytime I insert an USB drive, Kindle via USB and so...
  9. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.

this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.: I'm getting a message that says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Apps Setting page" everytime I insert an USB drive, Kindle via USB and so...
  10. "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action" with Windows...

"This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action" with Windows...: I just bought a new Windows 11 PC Intel i7 13700F as the CPU, 32GB of RAM, and after one or two restarts for the functionality of my newly installed apps, I went to click on the Windows button and nothing happened. I navigated to my desktop just to make sure it wasn't being...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. apply file associations 1903

2. file association not applying gpo windows 10 1903