Windows 10: Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter

Discus and support Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Yes, there's a tutorial on that here, however using metered connections doesn't guarantee stopping 'important' downloads, MS says. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GKL1520, Nov 21, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter

Yes, there's a tutorial on that here, however using metered connections doesn't guarantee stopping 'important' downloads, MS says.

dalchina, Nov 22, 2017
  2. GKL1520 Win User

Thanks, I wonder if MS considers the upgrade to the latest version of windows a download that will happen metered or not ? (I guess I'll know by tomorrow if it forced the upgrade again)

I tried but so far I was not able to fix either the Ethernet or the wifi adapter when on the latest version.

The upgrade does not delete my Ethernet and wifi adapters, but it somehow makes them unusable, when I check each of them in the device manager it has the same error message for both -

"This device cannot find enough resources it can use. (code 12)"

and nothing I tried has been able to make them usable again EXCEPT using recovery to restore the previous version of windows.

Would the protection I get from having a Softether VPN server on that computer make it so not having all the Microsoft security updates not a real concern ?

.....in case your not familiar with that free open source software - SoftEther VPN Project - SoftEther VPN Project

Not that I still would not try to fix things so I can have the latest security updates with still having my network adapters usable, but wouldn't the VPN keep my computer safe in the meantime ?

GKL1520, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Bree New Member
    The tutorial is Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10
    note that from Creators Update (1703) on you can turn on metered Ethernet in Settings > Network & internet > Ethernet.

From Creators Update (1703) on, it says...

Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter [​IMG]

...but I have never seen this work in 1703. It seems to work as intended in Fall Creators Update (1709).

Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

4. dalchina New Member

Have you uninstalled the drivers and rebooted? I'd guess you have.

There are plenty of references to that error message
    This device cannot find enough resources it can use. (code 12)
    so researching that may suggest sthg.

E.g.
    that means you are probably run out from available pci lanes ... try set pci-e in your bios to GEN 1 , also if you have a option try to set "above 4g decoding" to enable .
    Also disable any unused peripherals in bios ... sound card , wifi whatever you are not using
    Might have change pci speed to 8x 8 x 4 or something similar , im not sure what your mobo supporting

This device cannot find enough free resources.. 6gpu rig

Which suggests the problem may actually be a PCI driver rather than the drivers for those devices.

(Device Manager, System Devices)

What model is your laptop? How old is it? Which Windows did it come with?

Have you looked at your Device Manager- any yellow triangles?
    Example of very old drivers:
    Device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) Solved - Windows 10 Forums

If you haven't yet managed to disable the Windows update service (which kills Windows update) here's an easy way-

Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter [​IMG]

dalchina, Nov 22, 2017
  5. GKL1520 Win User
    Thanks, I have that Ethernet connection set to "metered" so by tomorrow I show know whether or not it stops the update that messes with my network adapters and makes them unusable.

GKL1520, Nov 22, 2017
  6. GKL1520 Win User
    Thanks !

Acer Aspire 9410z

I think it originally came with Vista, then I later upgraded to an early version of windows 10 Home version.

I'll have to get some screen shots, but in my device manager there are some devices with many duplicate entries (not the network adapters though)

Your PCI driver idea sounds like a good possibility to check out, also what do you think of another possibility someone on another forum suggested -

(quote)
    That error you are getting is basically telling you that more than one device has been assigned the same I/O thus both running devices are trying to grab the same memory slot per se, and hence the troubles.

This can occur if the BIOS has been incorrectly setup, or altered, or the operating system [ windows 10 ] has corrupted the settings.

If it was a bios issue, then checking for an update to your BIOS could resolve things, and if there is no update, then another way around this would be to remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes, to clear bios memory, then reinsert the battery and go into your BIOS and make sure its set to default settings.
    (end of quote)

I'll have to check out that winareo tweaker.

GKL1520, Nov 22, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, you're using it outside specification - i.e. it's not proven or supported for Win 10. Sure, many do that, and many find it works. But it is a risk, and you may find you struggle.

For example, I updated my Vista HP laptop to Win 7, then 8, then 10, but found it quickly overheated- in Safe Mode! This can happen apparently if there is low level driver incompatibility.

Yes, there could well be different causes as you say, and detailed examination of the driver parameters in Device Manager might tell you more. There might be a BIOS update- which although still old- might help. Realistically you could find you're playing trial and error- and there again, you might succeed.

Somewhat after the manner of this (old) article:
    The last resort for troubleshooting hardware resource conflicts

Have you ever done a clean install, or has it been continuously upgraded? As it was Vista, you must have done a clean install, as there's no upgrade path from Vista to Win 10, I believe.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter - Similar Threads - forced upgrade wiping

2. Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,: Windows 10 upgrade just hyjacks files , apps, browsers , doc. , some vid. files, removes Chrome, removes firefox, places them in a chrome ext. on the desktop. Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7, a very odd layout for this program, that has many issues like a modern day...
  3. Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,: Windows 10 upgrade just hyjacks files , apps, browsers , doc. , some vid. files, removes Chrome, removes firefox, places them in a chrome ext. on the desktop. Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7, a very odd layout for this program, that has many issues like a modern day...
  4. Windows 10 upgrade wipes out 70% apps,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Update KB5003173 Wiped out Network Connections?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update KB5003173 Wiped out Network Connections?: After updating my laptop to the latest update, I can no longer access any networks. My computer says I cannot connect to any networks. I’ve run trouble-shooting programs, tried uninstalling the update, etc and nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help? My computer was...
  6. Forced update wiped my computer.

Forced update wiped my computer.: I just booted up and found that Microsoft did a forced update that wiped my computer clean. It is now like an out of the box brand new computer save for virus software, quicken, and turbo tax. No pictures, no files, my business is gone, no favorites. Nothing. Any suggestions?...
  7. Force profgrams to use specific network adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force profgrams to use specific network adapter: Okay so here's my situation. I have on my desktop 2 network adapters (1 pcie, 1 usb), both wifi, and I have access to 2 wifi connections, my home wifi and my phone over 4g. I would like to be able to play games with the 4g connection of my phone because of better stability...
  8. Windows 10 wiped out all my documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wiped out all my documents: I switched on my HP laptop today and worked on it, everything was fine. I left it on sleep for about 2 hours, and came back to find there was a notification that Windows had signed me out of my user account. However, it logged in, and I found my desktop wallpaper was changed...
  9. Wipe out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wipe out: W10 forced PIN selection to open my laptop this morning 3/21/2020 after functioning okay Humm cannot reach page was still happening, of course. Blue screen with old lit Window image appears with tray icons verticle on screen instead if in tray. Serms old style?! ALL my...
  10. Windows 10 wiped out

Windows 10 wiped out: I recently sat down at my SONY VAIO running WIndows 10 and on the screen was the msg WINDOWS Server 2012 R2 Press Enter to Install As I did not want to install WS2012 R2 I rebooted the box. After that it tried to reboot over and over for then next several hours and I...