Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs on boot, have to do hard shut down

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs on boot, have to do hard shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I helped a buddy with his PC which he recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. I am not a fan of upgrades I rather do a clean install on every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnnyh55, Jan 2, 2016.

1. johnnyh55 Win User

Windows 10 hangs on boot, have to do hard shut down

I helped a buddy with his PC which he recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. I am not a fan of upgrades I rather do a clean install on every computer I work on but he didn't have the installer for a lot of software he had install. I removed some PC tools software because he asked me what it was and I told him he didn't need it but then I restarted the PC and it was taking forever stuck at the windows circle. So I powered off the computer with the power button and from then it was hit or miss sometimes I would restart and it would work fine and sometimes it would stay stuck at the windows circle. He told me it wasn't that slow before but he never did restarts back to back like I did, he usually turns it on for the day and off when he doesn't need it. Does anyone know what I could do to solve the issue? I wouldn't think that removing PC tools would cause this, I assume maybe the system was like that since the upgrade to windows 10?

:)

johnnyh55, Jan 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 Hangs when Shutting down/Starting up.

Thanks Deanister, for the prompt reply.

As it hangs when you try to shut-down or restart it was difficult to start-up in safe mode.

I finally manage to force a start-up in safe-mode and do a clean boot but this has not resolved the problem. It stills hangs on shut-down and restarts and I'm yet to put it back to normal start up mode.

I can live with having to do a hard shut down but when Windows performs an update and wants to restart, then doing a hard shut down causes the update to fail and I end up in a no win situation.

AndrewMare, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Win 10 ver 1511 Machine Won't Shut Down or Restart After Update

Since upgrading to Win 10 Pro ver. 1511 my machine periodically (about one out of every 3 times) won't shut down when I select shut down from the Start menu. I have to do a hard power off with the power button on the laptop. It just hangs on a black screen
    indefinitely. Also, when selecting Restart, the machine hangs on the Hello window ("Welcome First Name Surname") and swiping my fingerprint login reader has no effect. Again, I have to do a hard power off and then do a fresh boot. Anyone else experiencing
    this issue?

Cornelius III, Jan 2, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi johnnyh55 and welcome to Tenforums.

PCTools - is that the Symantec stuff that was discontinued a couple years ago?

I would first try turning off Fast Startup.
    Then I would give it a few shutdowns/startups (NOT restarts).

Next, I would run the system file checker to see if everything is intact.
    We're looking for "no integrity violations found". If you get the message that something was found but could not be fixed, please reboot the machine and run it again. You may need to do this three times or more, as some things need to be fixed before others can be fixed. If you can't get a clean bill of health, please run the command in the tutorial and grab the sfcdetails.txt file on the desktop and upload it here so we can have a look.

Install Ccleaner free version and check all the startup entries; delete anything related to PCTools. Then run the registry cleaner and delete anything related to PCTools as well.

Hope that helps!

simrick, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Atomic77 Win User
    One thing that helps is called a hard reset its where you unplug everything while the computer is off press the power button for 10 seconds and then plug everything back in. and then turn on again.

Atomic77, Jan 8, 2016
  6. johnnyh55 Win User
    Well I got it fixed by doing a system restore. I think maybe what cause the issue was when my buddy asked me if he could removed his password from his PC, I said sure but he was using a Microsoft account so I'm thinking when I removed the password and the PC switched to a local account some corruption happen in the user profile and that's why it was slow. Im not 100% sure but I think it might be a good explaination

johnnyh55, Jan 10, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Oh yeah, there's a procedure to switch from an MS account to a local one.
    Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Glad you got it sorted! *Thumbs Thanks for letting us know. Please mark the thread as "solved" in the top-left area.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 hangs on boot, have to do hard shut down - Similar Threads - hangs boot hard

2. Windows 11 freez hangs on shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 freez hangs on shut down: HiIt happen couple of times not alwayes while shutting down and the dots moving then it stop, freeze and hangs. I dont know how I find the cause of the problem ?OS Build 22000.438...
  3. Windows 11 freez hangs on shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 freez hangs on shut down: HiIt happen couple of times not alwayes while shutting down and the dots moving then it stop, freeze and hangs. I dont know how I find the cause of the problem ?OS Build 22000.438...
  4. Windows 10 PC shuts down after boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PC shuts down after boot: The Issue: - Self built PC of around 4.5 years old - Started happening yesterday evening - Parts list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ The current status of the issue: it either turns off immediately after booting OR, it'll stay on for anywhere between 1-20 mins...
  5. Computer randomly shuts down - have to do a hard reset to be able to restart it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer randomly shuts down - have to do a hard reset to be able to restart it: Hi everyone, Here are the data I got form my computer. Can anybody tell me if one of these tells me that there was an shut down. And what I need to do about this reoccurring problem. Warning Waarschuwing 13-11-2020 12:18:03 BTHUSB 3Geen Warning...
  6. Win 10 hangs restarting or shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 hangs restarting or shutting down: I have replaced a HDD in a NAS unit and another in my Humax recorder and I find that if I try to use the Windows WSL feature to edit and format these drives as EXT3, my laptop refuses to shut down/restart. I have to force a shut down with a 30sec press of the on/off switch....
  7. Hard shut down during boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard shut down during boot: I booted my computer, and it just stucks at one of a directory. So I did a hard shut down and when I start my computer again. It leads me to automatic repair, it says my computer didn't start correctly and I try resolving it. Until now, I still can't find a way to fix my...
  8. Windows 10 Hangs during Shutting Down and Restarting Time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Hangs during Shutting Down and Restarting Time: My Windows Specs are below Edition - Windows 10 Pro Version - 2004 OSbuild - 19041.264 My system hangs while shutting down and restarting pc, in this situation I have to only shutdown my system from main power switch which is very risky. I need help regarding my...
  9. Windows shut down on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows shut down on boot: I have Windows 10 dual boot with Ubuntu 18.x, and every first boot I make when I select windows my pc shuts down. Then when I boot again, it runs normally. I have a Dell Vostro 3460 notebook, my battery is almost dead, but it still holds around 1 - 2 minutes without the...
  10. External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10: Hi Ever since the anniversary update, for some reason, when I unplug my external hard drive Windows 10 decides to close down, not crash, as it politely tells me it is shutting down. I use the 'eject external usb/hard drive etc' button and wait for the safely eject comment....