Windows 10: Windows 10 Home file associations edit

Discus and support Windows 10 Home file associations edit in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently bought a new laptop which runs Windows 10 Home 64bit version 1803. For all text file *.TXT, *.INI or *.LOG I want to change so that when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Peter Vogt 54, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Home file associations edit

I recently bought a new laptop which runs Windows 10 Home 64bit version 1803.

For all text file *.TXT, *.INI or *.LOG I want to change so that when I double a file in File Explorer my text editor of choice (UeStudio) is opened.

I have no problems switching the default from Notepad to WordPad but I can't switch it to any installed other app UeStudio.

The same applies to *.GIF files which I want to change to Adobe Fireworks instead of Photos *default) or Paint. But I cant.

I've checked the Event logs but found nothing of interest.

Any ideas as to what might be the reason?

I have the distinct feeling the process doing this crashes for some reason but where is this log? I hope that I can ONLY set default apps to created by Microsoft.

:)

Peter Vogt 54, Nov 5, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 5, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Nov 5, 2018
  4. mandoist Win User

Windows 10 Home file associations edit

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CWindows 10 Home file associations edit :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Home file associations edit

1. Windows 10 Home file associations edit - Similar Threads - Home file associations

2. Windows 10 Home edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Home edition: What kind of Windows 10 home version is Microsoft selling at their website OEM, GGK, FPP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-edition/f39ee6a7-afcb-4e96-8992-542d4e5cb3e7
  3. Windows 10 Home edition

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home edition: What kind of Windows 10 home version is Microsoft selling at their website OEM, GGK, FPP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-edition/f39ee6a7-afcb-4e96-8992-542d4e5cb3e7
  4. Windows 10 home edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 home edition: My laptop edition is windows 10 pro and has digital license linked to my Microsoft account. After reinstalling windows 10 with a bootable USB flash drive containing windows 10 setup files of windows 10 enterprise, l was surprised that it installed windows 10 home edition....
  5. Windows 10 Home Edition

Windows 10 Home Edition: How can I download and install Windows 10 Home Edition without cost? I have the valid and legal activation key from my old PC. ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-edition/c9d711d8-0844-4d60-8fec-d4324e02eb9a
  6. windows 10 home edition

windows 10 home edition: easiest way to re install windows 10 with digital license already tried recovery. missing .dll files. is all i really need. tried copying .dll files from another laptop windows 10. didn;t work can i just download a fresh boot from microsoft...
  7. encrypting file in windows 10 Home edition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    encrypting file in windows 10 Home edition: I am unable to encrypt a file in windows 10 home. The field is grade out. I tried a few suggest like resetting the registry to 1 from 0 and no luck. Any suggestions?...
  8. WINDOWS 10 HOME EDITION

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 HOME EDITION: HI IM CURRENTLY RUNNING ON WINDOWS 10 PRO BUT NEED TO INSTALL OR DOWNGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 HOME IVE TRIED TO REINSTALLING IT AGAIN BUT STILL COMES UP AS PRO I DID A REGEDIT STILL NO GO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET HOME EDITION SO I CAN ACTIVATE...
  9. Windows 10 Home edition.

Windows 10 Home edition.: I'm BILLY GEE, I have had a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I don't remember if I activated during installation, Since then I have upgraded to V 1803 OS Build 17134.1 KB4284848. I now experience a couple of problems:- 1. It now tells me I am missing some...
  10. Windows 10 Home edition

Windows 10 Home edition: All updates for windows 10 version 1803 have failed. last failed attempt July 8. I have a HP Pavilion G6 laptop with Intel Pentium P6200. 4GB with 3.8 useable. 2018-06 update for Windows 10 Version 1709 x64 based systems successfully installed on July 14. System will not...